PDA

View Full Version : truth/fiction interchangability of square taper bb's

eddief
01-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Shimano and Campy. Just ordered square taper centaur crank. supposedly best installed with campy 111 square taper bb. sheldon brown suggests it is ok to install on a shimano square taper and to make up the difference in taper by using an approximately 4 mm shorter jis bb.

i know there is an ideal here, but was just wondering if there is any real problem with a campy crank on a properly wide enough shimano bb?

pale scotsman
01-03-2008, 01:47 PM
The campy bb has a 2* angle that the shimano doesn't. Seeing that you are putting an alloy crank on a steel spindled bb I don't see why it wouldn't work.

thwart
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah---there seems to be a supply inequality problem here. Lots of Centaur and lower level square taper Campy cranks around (see Nashbar thread in the classies), but precious few of the Campy 111 mm BB's. On the other hand, the 115's are plentiful, if you like triples.

Sounds like an interesting work-around...

zank
01-03-2008, 02:00 PM
They are both 2 degree tapers, but the Shimano (JIS) taper starts at a larger cross section than the Campagnolo (ISO) taper. So a Campagnolo crank won't slide as far down the spindle on a JIS taper. Hence, the use of a shorter spindle as suggested by Sheldon. That wouldn't be my first choice for a solution though. I would try to find a 111mm Centaur or AC-H Campagnolo BB or a PW BB.

Dave
01-03-2008, 02:02 PM
The campy bb has a 2* angle that the shimano doesn't. Seeing that you are putting an alloy crank on a steel spindled bb I don't see why it wouldn't work.

All JIS and ISO square tapers both have the same angle, but the ISO is smaller. That's why a shorter JIS is spindle is needed, since the Campy ISO crank won't go onto the spindle quite as far as intended.

michael white
01-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I've done it. It was an older Campy crank and I just wanted to ride, so I put in on a UN71 or something, and rode it for a year or so, no problem. just sayin

Grant McLean
01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Yeah---there seems to be a supply inequality problem here. Lots of Centaur and lower level square taper Campy cranks around (see Nashbar thread in the classies), but precious few of the Campy 111 mm BB's. ...

Campy 111mm bb's are widely available, as are all sizes of campy square taper
bb, they are still in production, and not discontinued.
Any shop can order them. QBP has lots of stock.

This is the reason why none of the Campy Square taper BB's are on sale,
it is that they're not going out of stock. The clear outs on the cranks are
are discontinued. Campy will continue to supply bb's, as obviously they
will continue to support the market with replacement parts...

-g

eddief
01-03-2008, 02:53 PM
is all my stuff is shimano or something from their part of the world. i'd have to buy yet another tool or take the bike to a shop if i decide to put the campy crank on a campy bb.

no big deal. just curious.

thwart
01-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Campy 111mm bb's are widely available
Thanks for the information.

But Branford Bike no longer has the English 111 mm A-CH (they still have some Italian threaded, however), and the Centaur level BB goes for $70, before shipping. I just need to look around more, I guess. Love my LBS, and I do buy things there fairly frequently, but their component prices make my ears bleed.

On the other hand, Nashbar, and other places (like Wheel and Sprocket) have the 115 mm at discounted prices... Why the difference?

PacNW2Ford
01-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Universal Cycles has the Veloce BB for $34.

zank
01-03-2008, 04:09 PM
On the other hand, Nashbar, and other places (like Wheel and Sprocket) have the 115 mm at discounted prices... Why the difference?

Many of the distributors have a huge supply of 115 mm BBs. They almost can't give them away. Ochsner only have 115s in stock. The 111s are in higher demand because they sold many more doubles than triples.

Grant McLean
01-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the information.

But Branford Bike no longer has the English 111 mm A-CH (they still have some Italian threaded, however), and the Centaur level BB goes for $70, before shipping.

It's all context. $70 for a centaur bb is a fair price.
it just seems expensive if you buy the crank arms at 75% off.
Compared to an $800 carbon crank, it's a deal.

-g

thwart
01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Compared to an $800 carbon crank, it's a deal.
:D

saab2000
01-03-2008, 06:52 PM
I had some old D/A sealed BBs from the '90s. Put Record cranks on them. Probably a MM or 2 further out than they should be, but they work on two bikes of mine.

Vancouverdave
01-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Campy 111's are not too hard to find--and if you want something that is US made, NOT a throwaway, and has better-designed rings that won't freeze into a ti or al frame, Phil Wood makes every square taper bb that one could want and is very much worth the $.