PDA

View Full Version : So, dad.... what are we going to do with this beater frame??

handsomerob
01-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Hanging out in my utility room tinkering and my son (telepathically) asked what we should do with this old Peugeot frame a buddy gave me. Judging from the rear drop outs... there is really only one path to follow. ;)

Step 1. Disassembly... check
Step 2. Remove braze ons... check
Step 3. Powdercoat... I will drop it off tomorrow

The only parts I will need are a wheelset (or at least a rear flip flop) and maybe a pump to fit in the pegs. Anyone know what kind of pump should fit?

DarrenCT
01-02-2008, 09:47 PM
my suggestion -> dumpster

just sayin...

dirtdigger88
01-02-2008, 09:50 PM

just sayin...

ouch!!

Jason

Louis
01-02-2008, 09:50 PM
What's the threading on the BB? Or are you going to re-use the original one?

KJMUNC
01-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Build it up as a single speed without a brake, put it on Craigslist as a track bike or messenger bike for $500 and watch the tragic hipsters flood your inbox. :p

handsomerob
01-02-2008, 09:53 PM

just sayin...

I am very aware the frame is low end at best. The thing is, I want a cheap starter fixie and I had this frameset already. If I really like riding fixte... I can always get a decent frame and swap over the parts. :rolleyes:

handsomerob
01-02-2008, 09:55 PM

Surprisingly, it is English threaded. :)

I am going to use an old square taper UN-71? BB with a 105 crankset stripped of the big ring that I had in the parts bin.

RudAwkning
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM

Well, he could always get a Phil Wood.......but then he'd have spent more on the BB and cups than the frame was worth.

The folly's of being French.... :D

RudAwkning
01-02-2008, 09:57 PM

I am going to use an old square taper UN-71? BB with a 105 crankset stripped of the big ring that I had in the parts bin.

Doh. We musta been typing at the same time. I take my last post back.

handsomerob
01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Well, he could always get a Phil Wood.......but then he'd have spent more on the BB and cups than the frame was worth.

The folly's of being French.... :D

The most expensive part going on this project (other than the wheels) will be a Nitto moustache bar that I got from Alexi for $20. As a matter of fact, I think that the bars and wheels will be the only parts purchased to complete it. I am leaning towards getting one of those cheap track wheelsets on the 'Bay for $100 like these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TRACK-ROAD-BIKE-FIXED-GEAR-WHEELSET-SS-WHEELS_W0QQitemZ170182191988QQihZ007QQcategoryZ580 99QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The only un-re-coup-able... (new word?) money spent will be $50 for the powdercoat job. Although I think I would be able to sell the frameset for most of that if necessary.

Louis
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM

Good to hear that.

I have an old Peugeot sitting down in the basement. Cottered cranks - ugh. It's rideable, but I haven't done anything with it in probably 10 years. However, it was the first bike I completely tore down and built back up. I can say that I know how to rebuild and adjust non-cartridge BB's.

Good luck with the project.

Louis

rustychisel
01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
am I too late?

DO NOT powdercoat that frame. Clean it up, shine it up, touch it up with Humbrol or Testors if you must. Call it patina. Call it history. Call it what you like. Now ride it.

fiamme red
01-02-2008, 10:15 PM
am I too late?

DO NOT powdercoat that frame. Clean it up, shine it up, touch it up with Humbrol or Testors if you must. Call it patina. Call it history. Call it what you like. Now ride it.I agree. Keep it as it is.

Viper
01-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I say you melt it down, build a dvd player out of it and watch Miami Vice season one atmo.

Edit: Send it back to Bernard Thévenet along with some EPO and steroids atmo, that cat was higher than Elton John in the 70's.

swoop
01-02-2008, 10:38 PM
put a colnago sticker on it, sell it, and then debate the company like it matters or has anything to do with it.

72gmc
01-02-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm with the touch it up but don't repaint crowd. Clean it, build it, go. Try to ride backwards circles. Set a personal wheelie record.

shinomaster
01-03-2008, 12:03 AM
If you only knew how many of those I saw set up as fixis every day.

Steve Hampsten
01-03-2008, 12:17 AM
I assembled those new back in the 70s.

"Ishy", as the vernacular has it. If I never see another Ugly Ol' 8 it'll be soon enough for me.

barry1021
01-03-2008, 02:44 AM
I agree. Keep it as it is.
don't understand why you would paint it-it looks exactly like a beater SS should look.

b21

ss-jimbo
01-03-2008, 07:35 AM
If you want to go true beater style, build it up with a reverse dished old wheel. I've done it to at least 3 wheels and they hold up fine. Use some lock tite on the fixed cog and maybe an old bb lockring. I've had all sorts of people tell me I'd have all sorts of problems with this setup, but in 10 years of fixing, it's never happened.

I'd imagine you must have some crap rear wheel laying around that you can do this do, and if not, you can probably find one from a friend or that dusty bike shop that any town of reasonable size has.

michael white
01-03-2008, 07:50 AM
the uo8 was great compared to what we were used to riding over here in the 70's, but to look at one today will make you appreciate the wonders of factories in China. However, it would be perfect for a bike you lock to poles regularly. If it can go down the road, that is terrific, and you should not invest one iota of effort or thought otherwise.

RudAwkning
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
If you want to go true beater style, build it up with a reverse dished old wheel. I've done it to at least 3 wheels and they hold up fine. Use some lock tite on the fixed cog and maybe an old bb lockring. I've had all sorts of people tell me I'd have all sorts of problems with this setup, but in 10 years of fixing, it's never happened.

I'd imagine you must have some crap rear wheel laying around that you can do this do, and if not, you can probably find one from a friend or that dusty bike shop that any town of reasonable size has.

You'll only really have any problems if you do what you mentioned above without brakes. That's when it's time to break out the Red Loctite :D

PaulE
01-03-2008, 08:31 AM
I believe my younger brother's is still in my mother's attic, more or less complete, also with white paint but I think in better shape, with a replacement chrome fork IIRC. When the fork was changed, I believe the threading was different and a new headset was required, or maybe the fork wasn't installed because of that. I'll be there this weekend, so if I remember, I will go up to the attic and take a look at it.

It's too small for me, otherwise I'd do something with it, and at some point it will probably meet the fate DarrenCT suggests. My own blue UO8 was stolen about 35 years ago.

handsomerob
01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I believe my younger brother's is still in my mother's attic, more or less complete, also with white paint but I think in better shape, with a replacement chrome fork IIRC. When the fork was changed, I believe the threading was different and a new headset was required, or maybe the fork wasn't installed because of that. I'll be there this weekend, so if I remember, I will go up to the attic and take a look at it.

It's too small for me, otherwise I'd do something with it, and at some point it will probably meet the fate DarrenCT suggests. My own blue UO8 was stolen about 35 years ago.

I could actually use some bits... I send you a PM.

soulspinner
01-03-2008, 07:01 PM
make sure the bottle bosses are crooked...

handsomerob
01-04-2008, 11:42 AM
make sure the bottle bosses are crooked...

bottle bosses?? It ain't got no stinkin' bottle bosses. :D

Also, to everyone that recommended not powdercoating... this thing has rust spots all over it. I don't think I can happily build up a rusty steel frame when I can take it to my buddy and have it sandblasted clean as a whistle and then the coat put on for $55. If I don't get the PC done, what should I do with all the rust spots?

As far as the fork goes... does anyone know if the legs are welded or glued into the crown? there appear to be small "pinch?" holes in the lugs to fasten the legs which seems odd if it was welded in there.

edited... BTW it has absolutely NO rust inside the frame. The head tube and seat tube are as clean as the day it was made.

Also, anyone have an idea how old this thing is? or what the seatpost size is?

handsomerob
01-04-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm with the touch it up but don't repaint crowd. Clean it, build it, go. Try to ride backwards circles. Set a personal wheelie record.

how much practice do backwards circles take? As far as wheelies go... this would be the perfect bike to try them on.

Viper
01-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Would Don Johnson ride that bike? Just asking. :D