PDA

View Full Version : Appel Lugged Frame

ridemoreoften
01-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm relatively new to the site but can see alot of members with alot of experience. Has anyone ever heard of Mike Appel frame, my understanding is he used to build frames for Trek. Frame is Colombus EL OS tubing, lugged, silver braised, even has pump pegs!? Thanks in advance.

e-RICHIE
01-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Has anyone ever heard of Mike Appel frame <cut>
sounds delicious atmo.

Big Dan
01-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Post 'em...

:)

saab2000
01-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Wisconsin builder from the '80s.

Steve Hampsten
01-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Beautiful frames with the thinned lugs as was the style back then. I tried to get a gig with Mike when I first moved to Madison in 1983 - no luck. Good guy and lovely frames for the time.

rphetteplace
01-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Mike is a bit of a character :beer:

He built many very pretty bikes back in the day.

He was indeed one of the og builders for Trek. Then he went out on his own for many years long before you could strike it rich in framebuilding :D

I believe he is (or last I knew) was the lead painter on second shift for the Trek factory in Waterloo, so if you have a custom painted Trek it may be his work.

<INSIDE INFO> There is a BEAUTIFUL NOS Appel sitting at Budget Bicycle Shop in Madison it's a gorgeous copper color probably like a 54. It's mad painful cool. I almost fell on the floor when I saw it there last month. It's e-ritchie sexy. :beer:

Mshue
01-02-2008, 09:49 PM
<INSIDE INFO> There is a BEAUTIFUL NOS Appel sitting at Budget Bicycle Shop in Madison it's a gorgeous copper color probably like a 54. It's mad painful cool. I almost fell on the floor when I saw it there last month. It's e-ritchie sexy. :beer:

Hmmmm. That might fit me. Which Budget Bicycle location?

PBWrench
01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Last shop on Regent

Mshue
01-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Last shop on Regent

Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

rphetteplace
01-03-2008, 12:34 PM
You won't regret it. It's super hot. I think it's not in the last one on Regent, but the Road store accross the street now. I'm telling you guys it made me really warm and fuzzy.

Badgers
02-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Yep, Mikey was (is) one of the best. His frames were pure art.
Unfortunately, he couldn't supply enough to make it a supporting venture (he did it all the building and finishing of his frames himself for a number of years while he and Colin O'Brien of Cronometro were starting their individual ventures in the 80's in one of those old factories that was leasing space to startup businesses.

Cronometro is going strong these days, as many a Madisonian will tell you.

Mike took an offer to return to Trek and is in charge of custom painting and design of custom finishes as I heard last. He is being paid well for his considerable talent now.

If you can find one that fits, you would not be disappointed. They are stunning.