PDA

View Full Version : mapmyride aqcquires routeslip.com

palincss
01-02-2008, 10:49 AM
From the routeslip blog:

Right to the Point

I’m excited to announce that RouteSlip.com has been acquired by MapMyFitness.

MapMyFitness is a collection of excellent fitness websites including MapMyRide, the leading website for creating and sharing cycling routes and tracking your training goals.

What Does this Mean?

The acquisition means great things to come for RouteSlip.com users.

Lots of new features and great user support.

The founders of MapMyFitness share my excitement for riding and my commitment to the cycling community. MapMyFitness has a staff of full-time developers and sales reps, and the management team is doing a great job building the infrastructure for a sustainable business. Moreover, I will become a member of the MapMyFitness technical steering committee, helping generate ideas and implement new features. I’ve received a lot of flattering emails from people about RouteSlip.com, and I’m looking forward to working with the MapMyFitness team to develop unique features for users.

Your user account and all of your routes will be saved.

We will automatically merge RouteSlip.com user accounts and routes to the MapMyRide platform, and traffic to RouteSlip.com will be re-directed to MapMyRide. I will keep you posted on the process, and I will let you know in advance if RouteSlip.com is going to be offline. RouteSlip.com will continue to operate as normal until the merger is complete. In the next several weeks, we will begin the migration of data from RouteSlip.com to MapMyFitness. Our goal is to complete the migration by the end of the year.

What’s Next?

First, I want to thank each of you for making RouteSlip.com successful. I’m really happy that I was able to create something that so many people have enjoyed. Second, let me know which features you like the most about RouteSlip.com, and what you’d like to see at MapMyRide. Please don’t hesitate to email me with any comments or questions. We’ve set up public forum in the MapMyFitness public forums to help answer any questions you may have. Finally, I hope you’re as excited as I am about the next steps. I look forward to creating and sharing routes with you at MapMyRide.

Thanks,

Ryan Huff
Founder, RouteSlip.com

BumbleBeeDave
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
. . . until the reliability of the site really got to me. Or I guess I should say the lack of reliability. There were lots of html problems, featues that wouldn't work, features that wouldn't work in Mac browsers, etc. I exchanged some e-mails with Ryan and he made clear he was frustrated too. New job, new kid, graduate(?) school were all keeping him from doing the kind of job with it he wanted, and to top it off someone hacked the site several times and caused havoc. I felt for the guy, but had to be practical and went over and started using Bikely.com. I hope the transition is smooth and it all works out. There's a lot of great rides listed there and some nice features.

BBD

palincss
01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
. . . until the reliability of the site really got to me. Or I guess I should say the lack of reliability. There were lots of html problems, featues that wouldn't work, features that wouldn't work in Mac browsers, etc. I exchanged some e-mails with Ryan and he made clear he was frustrated too. New job, new kid, graduate(?) school were all keeping him from doing the kind of job with it he wanted, and to top it off someone hacked the site several times and caused havoc. I felt for the guy, but had to be practical and went over and started using Bikely.com. I hope the transition is smooth and it all works out. There's a lot of great rides listed there and some nice features.

BBD

There is a transition, but so far it's not been totally smooth. All your old routeslip.com routes are now in mapmyride (they migrated everything as of 12/29) but unfortunately, when you try to create a cue sheet you get only the map and the elevation, no cues. Also, spurious out and back sections mysteriously appear. I haven't tried editing such a route, so I have no idea what happens.

Editing with mapmyride has always been a love-hate proposition: you can edite and save, but what you can't easily do is find the points where the cue directions are stored. They're not visible other than as a mysteriously appearing and moving "ball" that at times reminds me of The Prisoner.

I'm sorry to see routeslip go. Feature for feature, I found it superior to mapmyride. But your points about its reliability are spot on. We'll see how it goes with the new site: I tried it at noon and simply was unable to display a 50 mile route of mine.

BumbleBeeDave
01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
But I guess give them a few weeks to work the bugs out. I've had excellent luck with Bikely. There's a huge number of routes already available on there, and when I create one everything works as advertised.

BBD

palincss
01-02-2008, 05:29 PM
But I guess give them a few weeks to work the bugs out. I've had excellent luck with Bikely. There's a huge number of routes already available on there, and when I create one everything works as advertised.

BBD

Except that you can't get a cue sheet out of bikely -- and that's why I use sites like this.

palincss
01-06-2008, 04:01 PM
But I guess give them a few weeks to work the bugs out.

BBD

And indeed, work has progressed. The following was posted on the mapmyride discussion forum 4 hours ago:

A quick update for you: I believe that I have identified the issue here. It appears that during the migration, some of the point ordering information failed to trasfer. Sco77, in the example you posted, it looks like all of the correct points are there, but in the incorrect order. I am working with Ryan to correct this, and at this point I believe that we'll be able to fully restore the affected routes.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and I'll update this thread as we progress. I fully expect to have a complete fix this week.

If you want to follow the discussion as it unfolds, here's the URL:
http://www.mapmyride.com/community/discussion/1653/