PDA

View Full Version : Eddy Merckx is a sweet heart..

shinomaster
08-05-2004, 01:02 AM
I was looking in the new picture book about Lance Armstrong the other day by Graham Watson. It is a wonderful book with excellent pictures that brings back some nice memories of my youth, as I started riding when Lance was just turning Pro.

Anyway, there was a tribute written by super star Eddy Merckx about Lance that was without a doubt the nicest, most thoughtful, bit of prose that has ever been written about Lance. Eddy must truly love and admire Armstrong. That says a lot about both of these men.

Sandy
08-05-2004, 06:32 AM
You should read what Sweet Pea (Kevan) writes about me. It would make you blush.....

So Super Sweet So Supersonic Speedy So Serotta Sandy

Roy E. Munson
08-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Eddys comments towards Lance weren't so nice when Lance sailed past Axel at Liege last year. :argue:

coylifut
08-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Edy was a frequent visitor to Lance on his death bead. Lance has described him as a father figure.

Roy E. Munson
08-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Lance is dead??????????????

OldDog
08-05-2004, 09:18 AM
Nobody believes me!!!! Find my earlier posts, Lance is Gov't project testing new technologies!!!!

Roy E. Munson
08-05-2004, 09:20 AM
EPO is not a new product :D :D

bostondrunk
08-05-2004, 09:53 AM
I just don't think its right to be makin fun of the guy who's bangin' Sheryl Crow!

BumbleBeeDave
08-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Since meeting you I have lost my capacity to blush!

Seriously, though, keep in mind that "celebrity" dedications in books are not always written by the celebrities themselves, any more than "celebrity" biographies are really written by the celebrities themselves.

BBDave

M_A_Martin
08-05-2004, 10:34 AM
I dunno...have you heard her latest?

I liked her earlier stuff, but I think the woman should not be allowed to produce her own music...maybe it will grow on me.

Dr. Doofus
08-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Dear Musical Mary:

Ms. Crow's early work was tolerable largely as a result of her seven co-writers (the "Tuesday Night Music Club" was a songwriting circle), and her second album's quality came from her sense of melody and the Dust Brothers' excellent production and arrangements. The woman has yet to write an album of reasonable lyrics, however...see "I don't have digital/I don't have diddly squat" as an example of her attempts at wordplay. Cole Porter she is not.

Your Humble Servant,

Dr. D. Doofus, Esq.

M_A_Martin
08-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Ah Dr. Doofus and mouse;

I am not an audiophile.
Perhaps I should have clarified that I like Ms. Crow's previous attempts at alternative pop not necessarily for their lyrical value, but for mere mindless listening during drive time.
Even though Ms. Crow has penned some awful lyrics herself, I previously liked the sound of her music. I thought I liked her sense of melody as you mentioned.
The song I heard this morning, "Light in your eyes" was not only lyrically awful (There's no use pretendin'/you (or it) never existed/til you saw the light, yeah), but muscially disjointed as well; stopping and starting at odd points during the torture. I also thought it was odd that the song really sounded like the voice and instruments were recorded separately and then mixed poorly. I usually don't pick that sort of thing up. Her "sense of melody" seemed to be missing as well.

You're absolutely right, Cole Porter she's not...but this attempt didn't even reach Weird Al Yankovitz levels of quality. (My apologies to everyone who Just Loves that song. I don't.)

Ginger

(My conspiracy theory about Sheryl hanging out with Lance for publicity still stands. After all, Janet already used the "getting bare"-on-TV-thing before her album came out so what's a girl to do for visibility?)

oracle
08-05-2004, 05:04 PM
i am a terminally ill, incurable audiophile - just picked up a pair of premier 12s.

Ozz
08-05-2004, 05:34 PM
i am a terminally ill, incurable audiophile - just picked up a pair of premier 12s.

Please help me out....does an audiophile appreciate music, or the equipment on which it is played?

alembical
08-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Oracle,
I am quite impressed. Someday I too will have those, but as of now, not enough dough to justify them (especially with RS, Vanilla, Serotta, etc...); but I do like my Bryston.

Alembical

alembical
08-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Please help me out....does an audiophile appreciate music, or the equipment on which it is played?
Ozz,
I would say both. It is kind of like really enjoying the ride (outside, air, exercise) and really enjoying your ride (your Beautiful Serotta, which I know you do, and which attributes to the enjoyement of the ride, but is by no means necessary, and according to many is "over-priced").

Alembical

MadRocketSci
08-05-2004, 06:05 PM
audiophiles are pretty much like bike nerds + 50 lbs. They talk about 800 dollar interconnects (ie, those wires that go from pre-amp to each mono amp), connector's effects on sound quality, use terms like "transparency, soundstage, and air" instead of "snap, road feel, and damping." Instead of getting into heated debates over steel vs. carbon, they are ready to kill over tubes vs. solid state. Yes, a lot of them spend most of their time evaluating rather than enjoying...just like the bike nerds.

Yes, I armor-alled my cd's 15 years ago...

rwl
08-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Mad,

Try Pedro's on 'em for a bit quicker spin.

Really, they're different groups. If audiophiles crossed over more, $800 bar tape would surely follow.

ericmurphy
08-05-2004, 07:03 PM
audiophiles are pretty much like bike nerds + 50 lbs. They talk about 800 dollar interconnects (ie, those wires that go from pre-amp to each mono amp), connector's effects on sound quality, use terms like "transparency, soundstage, and air" instead of "snap, road feel, and damping." Instead of getting into heated debates over steel vs. carbon, they are ready to kill over tubes vs. solid state. Yes, a lot of them spend most of their time evaluating rather than enjoying...just like the bike nerds.

Yes, I armor-alled my cd's 15 years ago...

By some standards, I probably am an audiophile. Adcom power amp and preamp, pair of industrial Klipsch La Scalas that are each the size of a dishwasher (and in a 400 sq. foot apartment, no less!). I'm not sure how much the stereo would cost now, but probably about as much as my Legend.

On the other paw, I haven't bought a piece of audio equipment in seventeen years (why would I need to? This stuff lasts forever), and if I want to listen to tunes, I hit the "play" button in iTunes and it plays.

I just wish I could turn the volume up past "1." :-)

MadRocketSci
08-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Good choice! My own stuff that I've had since college is Adcom...plus mirage speakers.

That said, I'd say stuff like Adcom, B&K (if they still exist), audio alchemy, etc are the equivalent of a Specialized Allez or Bianchi Eros with 105. Solid value for the money, good starter kit, but nothing that's gonna get you props from the "Absolute Sound" crowd. Stuff like Polk audio, Carver, and Bose probably rates lower into the more hype than hope stuff, like some wanna be GT compact aluminum racing frame with racing decals all over it.

The really high end stuff? You don't even want to go there...biking's way cheaper and there are far more babes...

Kevin
08-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Kindel speakers. They are Towers of Power. You can set off the house alarms of your neighbors with the woofers, break your wife's crystal with the tweeters, all while the mid-range sounds like the singer is in the room.

Kevin

Sam in VA
08-05-2004, 08:13 PM
Wasn't he one of the Beatles???

M_A_Martin
08-05-2004, 10:31 PM
Yeah, he was the drummer before Ringo...

Mad: Your distinction between bike geek and audio nerd is spot on. I know a few who are both though. The one who still rides isn't plus the 50, the other has some really esoteric bikes and the full on Mcintosh setup (the whole listening room/sand base with floating granite block for the components or whatever) with the 6' tall speakers in the house and a wall full of vinyl, CD, and tape all jazz all the time. Amazing system. Don't know if he's a waxer.

Main Entry: au·dio·phile
Pronunciation: 'o-dE-O-"fIl
Function: noun
: a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction

My point: I generally don't listen to Ms. Crow's music on any sort of fantastic sound reproduction system. Perhaps I missed some nuances that made that particular song playable on the radio.

Is it raining there?

BumbleBeeDave
08-06-2004, 06:37 AM
. . . by Sexy Sheryl’s newest single . . .

Is she singing about God or Lance? It sounds like one OR the other, but I can’t tell . . . guess it must be that “disjointed” production . . .

BBDave

Tom
08-06-2004, 07:58 AM
in one of his less creative moments. I think there was a contest to deliver something that best illustrated the phrase "The Banality of Evil."

The one exception is KPIG on the internet. www.kpig.com - pay your $5 to the moneygrubbers at Real audio and listen to decent music. Or, if you're cheap or behind a firewall that you haven't any Polaroids on the administrator, www.wwoz.org.

Kevan
08-06-2004, 08:36 AM
I have to laugh. My 1976 Kenwood receiver, all 25 watts is still kicking, though the lights behind the radio channel display are misbehaving and only work after the box has been on over 4-6 hours. The Philips turntable (the one with the green lit buttons) still spins, but it too is getting fussy and the lights have since gone dark. The EPI’s have been long replaced with some KEF bookshelves (very nice) in the living room, and in the kitchen is a pair of those bulletproof Radio Shack minis. If I recall right the Kenwood CD player runs off the receiver’s auxiliary switch and I’ve wired the TV and DVD using the tape switch and tape mode button.

It’s as if I was still riding my Schwinn Varsity. :D

Bill Bove
08-06-2004, 08:47 AM
First year BOSE Acoustic Wave. Cassette deck no longer opens but I hooked my Sony DiscMan up to it. I usually listen to AM radio, Art Bell and the Marlins or NPR.

MartyE
08-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Is she singing about God or Lance? . . .

BBDave

Don't you know, Lance IS god
(as opposed to e-richie URAGOD)

Accurus amplifier, Bottlehead foreplay preamp, Sonus Faber
speakers, Visonik turntable, panasonic dvd player for those new
fangled disc thingies.
Still have Allison Acoustic IV speakers in storage.

ericmurphy you should really power those la scalla's with a good
2A3 powered (relative term considering its massive 2 or 3 watts)
amplifier, with a vinyl front end. Yes I am a retrogrouch!

Marty

oracle
08-06-2004, 11:25 AM
out crawl the audiophiles from the woodwork. wow.

alembical - i got the amps in a very tidy merchandise swap with a retailer i know, and i feel quite fortunate, as they are most divine. jascha heifetz never sounded so good.

alembical
08-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Shino,
Sorry about the thread drift, but yeah Eddy....oh wait, what was the topic?

Alembical