PDA

View Full Version : Q about LeMond---the man, not the bike

neverraced
12-31-2007, 11:43 AM
He's featured in the newest (and my last!) issue of ProCycling. Huge house, cars, a plane, buying new trucks for family retainers...and as far as I can tell the guy does nothing but give depositions all day. Where are all the bucks coming from?

David Kirk
12-31-2007, 11:52 AM
I think he made huge money back in the day and invested it very well during the crazy Clinton/Greenspan days of irrational exuberance.

Dave

BumbleBeeDave
12-31-2007, 12:15 PM
. . . that he is a very astute businessman. Don't forget he was really the first pro cyclist to get a paycheck that was huge for the times. Before him "big time" pro cyclists got cr@p for pay. If he has continued those skills and built on them, then it doesn't surprise me he's loaded.

BBD

swoop
12-31-2007, 12:19 PM
early stockholder at amgen $$$. :banana:

(kidding). whatever he has he earned it. i can't imagine racing over there like he did. dude's still a hero to me.

columbusslx
12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
Ummm...REVMaster spin bikes, ever been to a gym?

Lemond Bikes?

Guy had "some" endorsements back in the day too...even now I think he still has several...off hand I can think of

Brancale
Oakley
Scott
Speedplay (pretty recent too)
Giro
LeWedge (bigmeat shims)

Viper
12-31-2007, 12:25 PM
Guy had "some" endorsements back in the day too...even now I think he still has several...off hand I can think of

Brancale
Oakley
Scott
Speedplay (pretty recent too)
Giro
LeWedge (bigmeat shims)
Kleenex

Fixed ^, LOL.

Big Dan
12-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Fixed ^, LOL.

Still heartbroken dude?

LegendRider
12-31-2007, 12:29 PM
His contract with Z was $5.4 million over three years (90-92). Add in endorsement income and smart investing (I presume) and you can live well.

Frank
12-31-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/07/business/ranch.php

http://www.talkaboutcycling.com/group/alt.bmx/messages/22569.html

shinomaster
12-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Don't forget Taco Bell.

SWorks4me
12-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Don't forget Taco Bell.

I still have one of the water bottles. atmo

David Kirk
12-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Was that GL's Chihuahua in those ads? No wonder he's living high on the dog.

Dave

Karin Kirk
12-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Was that GL's Chihuahua in those ads? No wonder he's living high on the dog.

Dave

Umm. Not sure how high one would be up there on top of a Chihuahua.
I know some kitties who are taller than that.

LegendRider
12-31-2007, 01:15 PM
I'll bet Taco Bell won't be running "Run for The Border" ads these days...

BumbleBeeDave
12-31-2007, 01:16 PM
But then, she's always right. Isn't that right, Dave? ;) :rolleyes: :D

BBD

coylifut
12-31-2007, 01:21 PM
he has many sources, but real estate is his numbero uno

Bill Bove
12-31-2007, 01:31 PM
I never had the pleasure but many of my co-workers at Ten Speed Drive Imports met with him many times, they all liked him. Didn't care too much for Dad thoughand from what I've read and whatthey had to say his dad did his best to bankrupt him.

A.L.Breguet
12-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Dude was the first to treat his career as a business. He made sure he got his fair share of the pie from his sponsors,... Plus, he paved the way allowing a lot of other riders to make a fair wage.
Just another reason to admire the guy.

Ginger
12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Umm. Not sure how high one would be up there on top of a Chihuahua.
I know some kitties who are taller than that.

Inga would eat that taco bell chihuahua for lunch!

Avispa
12-31-2007, 01:44 PM
he has many sources, but real estate is his numbero uno

Just like Schwarzenegger! The Governor said he made more money in Real Estate than he ever did with the movies :D

I never had the pleasure but many of my co-workers at Ten Speed Drive Imports met with him many times, they all liked him. Didn't care too much for Dad thoughand from what I've read and whatthey had to say his dad did his best to bankrupt him.

I had the pleasure of spending time with Greg while he was still racing and during his "down" time in the late 80's. Great adviser for cycling and business matters too! One thing I know is that it was not nice to be around him when his father was there... Especially after 1991.

..A..

Karin Kirk
12-31-2007, 01:50 PM
But then, she's always right. Isn't that right, Dave? ;) :rolleyes: :D

BBD

No, Dave was right this time, because as it turns out he can spell "Chihuahua" and I can't. I can spell "kitty" though, I'm good at that one!

rickygarni
12-31-2007, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=Avispa]Just like Schwarzenegger! The Governor said he made more money in Real Estate then he ever did with the movies :D

The same is apparently true about Woody Allen – after 40 odd movies, at a a rate of almost one a year ...

Ricky

A.L.Breguet
12-31-2007, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE=Avispa]Just like Schwarzenegger! The Governor said he made more money in Real Estate then he ever did with the movies :D

The same is apparently true about Woody Allen – after 40 odd movies, at a a rate of almost one a year ...

Ricky
True of Rolex, too. They sell 1,000,000 watches per year, but their real estate dealings far out-strip their watch revenue.

Thread drift, huh?

neverraced
12-31-2007, 02:26 PM
"LeMond and his wife's parents, David and Sacia Morris, and a friend, Jorge Jasson, were early investors in the companies, which develop and maintain the club. They also have homes on the property."

Wife brought the money. 'nuff said.

1centaur
12-31-2007, 02:45 PM
BTW, that issue of Procycling (January 2008) is well worth reading for the multiple LeMond sections, including many thoughts on doping and how cycling should be organized. Other than saying that any cyclist caught doping should pay back his career's earnings (actually "any financial gain accrued during their career"), the guy makes tons of sense. For the racers here, he has a bunch of tips (like don't ride for hours, you'll just boost your cortisol and get depressed). Other than the Frankie Andreu review of the Idol (not my impression at all), it's the best issue of Procycling yet.

LegendRider
12-31-2007, 03:50 PM
BTW, that issue of Procycling (January 2008) is well worth reading for the multiple LeMond sections, including many thoughts on doping and how cycling should be organized. Other than saying that any cyclist caught doping should pay back his career's earnings (actually "any financial gain accrued during their career"), the guy makes tons of sense. For the racers here, he has a bunch of tips (like don't ride for hours, you'll just boost your cortisol and get depressed). Other than the Frankie Andreu review of the Idol (not my impression at all), it's the best issue of Procycling yet.

Agree. It's a very engaging issue. Admittedly, I'm a big fan of LeMond's, but it's well worth reading.

By the way, I had no idea about the problems had with his son or the affair. He's had a tough life in many respects.

Fat Robert
02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
late to the party

just bought that issue sunday night

a guy who refused to sell his soul for success, both on and off the bike...

guy can eat, though

(ok, so its just not cool to make fun of a guy's gut...but if the mitochondiral myopathy was just a temporary condition from overtraining, you think the dude could lose a bit, just for his health's sake)

wtex
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
eh, who had the affair?

BumbleBeeDave
02-12-2008, 12:03 PM
. . . at the local bookstore and I am absolutely stunned at the candor the GL shows about his life in the interviews. He is right up front about issues that I think most people would bury very deeply in their own minds, not to mention in a public interview. I had no idea about the problems in his marriage or with his kids, or the trials he has gone through to come out of them with himself and his family in one piece.

To me the knowledge that I had made a success at that would be much more important than any amount of money I would ever make. After reading the articles, I get the idea he feels the same way. My admiration has gone up 1000%, both for him as a person and for his suggestions on how to run cycling and fight doping. I would advise anyone who has any interest in cycling to go get this issue and learn a lot.

BBD

avalonracing
02-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Dude was the first to treat his career as a business. He made sure he got his fair share of the pie from his sponsors,... Plus, he paved the way allowing a lot of other riders to make a fair wage.
Just another reason to admire the guy.

That... and the fact that he is the best bike racer ever.
(flame on :D )

fiamme red
02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
(flame on :D )He was the best ever... in his own mind.

jeffg
02-12-2008, 12:56 PM
He was the best ever... in his own mind.

He is one of the greatest, even in the reality based community ...

I think there was a guy name Eddy something or other that was pretty good, too ;)

Fat Robert
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
eh, who had the affair?

indeed -- but then he came clean and put his marriage back together. I'd like to think there's some redemption in that...

Z3c
02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
On top of all of these reasons to admire GL, at one point he held(may still) a world record for fishing. IIRC it was for the largest panfish on 2# test.. He is an avid outdoorsman; not sure that he still turkey hunts though!

GL is why I have a Della Santa..

Scott

97CSI
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Guess LA isn't the only one who likes lawsuits and uses legions of attorneys to get his way/say. Just a couple of rich guys pissing at each other. Funny.

majorpat
02-12-2008, 06:28 PM
He certainly let loose on Hinault when he describes their Tour battle. I think he says things like "if he had a brain" and that one of his attacks succeeded because he launched at the feed zone. Pretty candid thoughts, wonder if he'll hang with Bernard at the races..

AgilisMerlin
02-12-2008, 06:53 PM
picked up the issue yesterday....

bares his chest, and rips out his own heart for all to see.

as far as judging him. i don't think he give a crapolla.

he invites you into his personal history and the need for therapy. As far as his business - i am sure he will do fine in the future.

Look out for him to be part of the UCI soon enough........multi lingual, his merits and history, and involvement will allow him to slot in.

What other figure in Cycling has laid open the casket and lived through it.

P.S. - dude needs to lose some weight..........skip some meals........just sayin'

Hinault would take him in a cage fight.....no problemo

:beer:

classic1
02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Hinault would take him in a cage fight.....no problemo

:beer:

Hinault is hard. He'd take Chuck Norris..., no, the 'Predator' in a cage fight. :D

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/73/039_24990~Predator-Posters.jpg

tv_vt
02-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Any ideas where I might still find the January issue? I looked at Borders last night and didn't see the mag there.

Thanks

Chris
02-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Got mine at Barnes and Noble.

BigDaddySmooth
02-13-2008, 09:47 AM
GL is why I have a Della Santa..

Scott[/QUOTE]

I challenge anyone to find a cyclist who was/is as prodigal as GL? The kid took second in the U.S. Nats road race when he was 16 or so. One year after he started cycling. He "supposedly" VO2'ed in the 90s. 3 TdF, 3x world champion, etc. What else needs to be said?

I too have a DS. I said it before, I'll say it again, "good enough for GL, good enough for me." :banana:

Fat Robert
02-13-2008, 09:55 AM
I challenge anyone to find a cyclist who was/is as prodigal as GL? The kid took second in the U.S. Nats road race when he was 16 or so. One year after he started cycling. He "supposedly" VO2'ed in the 90s. 3 TdF, 3x world champion, etc. What else needs to be said?

:

both prodigal and prodigy....

and he did VO2 at 92.5 -- highest ever recorded for a cyclist. he was 3rd at the dauphine at 19.... eddy was the best, but greg may have been the most gifted....

JMerring
02-13-2008, 10:03 AM
(flame on :D )

Eddy Merckx was undoubtedly unambiguously unequivocally without any question the best bike racer ever. Hands down. Any way you look at it. To suggest otherwise is just plain silly. atmo.

bostondrunk
02-13-2008, 11:03 AM
GL was the reason I started cycling, and has always been my favorite.

ERitchie on the other hand.... ;)

LegendRider
02-13-2008, 12:54 PM
GL was the reason I started cycling, and has always been my favorite.

Moi aussi.

jmc22
02-13-2008, 08:45 PM

That's great - Greg Lemond is now an arm-chair quarterback... 100 - 1 odds that he was on the juice long before anyone heard about juice... winning the 1989 Tour in the final Time Trial by an 8 second margin after overcoming a 50 second deficit just by using aero bars...yea right, tell me another story..
In my book you can keep your Greg Lemond memorabilia & his crappie bikes :butt:

Big Dan
02-13-2008, 08:49 PM
That's great - Greg Lemond is now an arm-chair quarterback... 100 - 1 odds that he was on the juice long before anyone heard about juice... winning the 1989 Tour in the final Time Trial by an 8 second margin after overcoming a 50 second deficit just by using aero bars...yea right, tell me another story..
In my book you can keep your Greg Lemond memorabilia & his crappie bikes :butt:

Is that you Lance???

:confused:

jmc22
02-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Is that you Lance???

:confused:

Why yes it is - although the juice GL provided me saying it was just Orange Tang... funny, it didn't taste anything like Tang..guess I was just as well off not using it as GL recommened...

onekgguy
02-13-2008, 09:58 PM
I tried locating the magazine tonight but couldn't find it...not even at Barnes and Noble. Anybody care to scan and post the interview if that would be allowed?

Kevin g

saab2000
02-13-2008, 10:27 PM
Eddy Merckx was undoubtedly unambiguously unequivocally without any question the best bike racer ever. Hands down. Any way you look at it. To suggest otherwise is just plain silly. atmo.

No doubt about that. But GL is probably Merckx's equal in terms of talent, if not work ethic.

To compare them is absurd. GL needs not comparison. Neither does Merckx. Nor Hinault. The greats of cycling would not be the greats if not for the relativity provided by the others.

GL is the greatest American cyclist ever IMHO. And had the perfect position on the bike of anyone ever. Too bad he used those Scott drop-in bars. Lame-o. But everyone has his price I guess.

vaxn8r
02-13-2008, 11:19 PM
No doubt about that. But GL is probably Merckx's equal in terms of talent, if not work ethic.

To compare them is absurd. GL needs not comparison. Neither does Merckx. Nor Hinault. The greats of cycling would not be the greats if not for the relativity provided by the others.

GL is the greatest American cyclist ever IMHO. And had the perfect position on the bike of anyone ever. Too bad he used those Scott drop-in bars. Lame-o. But everyone has his price I guess.
+ + + + +

BBB
02-13-2008, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=saab2000]
GL is the greatest American cyclist ever IMHO. And had the perfect position on the bike of anyone ever.[QUOTE]

Like this (including the offending bars)?

djg
02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Maybe somebody here knows Greg or Lance or Eddy like a brother or a best pal or whatever, but I know I don't and that's ok with me.

GL was a major talent on the bike who delivered more than one or two big wins -- check the palmares (ignore the injuries and comebacks and sagas -- just check the palmares and you'll see plenty).

As for the personal wealth: he was one of the real pioneers in bringing the sort of money -- salary and endorsements -- enjoyed by stars in sports like soccer and American football into cycling. He made millions and invested in stocks and real estate in the decade in which nearly everybody turned out to be a genius (and those winnings didn't go away during the readjustments). His endorsement and consulting income continues to this day of course -- you can see his name on stuff in the LBS and, if you venture there, Wal-Mart. He's a retired (athletically) big time sports star who did not squander his wealth. It's not all that surprising that he has a big house and a few toys.

Elefantino
02-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Greg is a great, warm and personable guy who speaks his mind. Some people don't like people who speak their mind. But most people who speak their minds and have the goods to back it up don't care what some people think, anyway.

My answer to the "who would you like to ride with?" question was, and is stlll, GL atmo.

fiamme red
02-14-2008, 09:34 AM

GL is the greatest American cyclist ever IMHO. And had the perfect position on the bike of anyone ever. Too bad he used those Scott drop-in bars. Lame-o. But everyone has his price I guess.I'm not sure how you define talent. I wouldn't put LeMond in the same class as Hinault, let alone Merckx. LeMond never won a classic. And he never won a Tour in a dominating way.

LegendRider
02-14-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure how you define talent. I wouldn't put LeMond in the same class as Hinault, let alone Merckx. LeMond never won a classic. And he never won a Tour in a dominating way.

LeMond's Tour wins were impressive in part because of who he beat: Hinault, Fignon, Delgado, Roche, Breukink, Hampsten, Bugno, etc.

saab2000
02-14-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure how you define talent. I wouldn't put LeMond in the same class as Hinault, let alone Merckx. LeMond never won a classic. And he never won a Tour in a dominating way.

Classics weren't really part of his plan. He was a 2-time World Champ.

Comparing these guys in a Palmares vs. Palmares comparison is easy. Merckx on top and then some others. Sean Kelly only once won a "Grand Tour" and then only barely. Yet there is little doubt about his class/talent.

Roche had one incredible season and the rest of his career was marked by injury and contract disputes and missed opportunities, interspersed with flashes of brilliance. Yet he has a 'name' because of his tremendous 1987 season.

For me "talent" is hard to define, but we can start with the physiological aspects like V02 and by that metric Lemond is in a very rarified class of racers.

vaxn8r
02-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Coulda woulda shoulda but Lemond had another tour win he gave away for political reasons to...Hinault. With that win it's 4 to 4. Take away the buckshot in his chest and no one is talking about Roche or Delgado.

That's all a load of puck but I believe it. He was the talent of the decade just as others have dominated their decade.

Fat Robert
02-14-2008, 10:10 AM

his 86 and 89 tour wins were impressive

86 he beats hinault with hinault at his best (look at how hinault pole axed everyone but lemond in the first tt): urs zimmerman was a spectator -- it was a two-man race from the start.

89 he wins with only one teammate making it out of the alps.

in 90 he was so so. still won the thing -- beating indurain (pre-organized banesto "medical support") -- with 37 pellets in his body, and after having mono in the spring.

take away EPO and he wins in 91

(i'll contend that hampsten, and maybe meijia, were the only guys dope-free to finish in the top 5 of the tour in 91-97. there. i said it.)

William
02-14-2008, 10:12 AM
More GL Trivia (previously posted).

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11920&highlight=Greg+lemond

William

William
02-14-2008, 10:15 AM
More past grumblings on LA and GL!!! Will it ever end????

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=3406&page=1&pp=15&highlight=Lemond

William ;)

c-record
02-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Agree.

+ LeMond.

It's sad when I talk to American cyclists and the only racer they know of is Armstrong.

fiamme red
02-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Coulda woulda shoulda but Lemond had another tour win he gave away for political reasons to...Hinault. With that win it's 4 to 4.That's a myth perpetuated by LeMond himself. Hinault was certainly the strongest rider in 1985, and he deserved to win.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/093652792ac400b4

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/f8aba2f0a89723b1

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/b4ff23818cafbcf9

fiamme red
02-14-2008, 11:21 AM
take away EPO and he wins in 91.I don't think so. He didn't even finish the Giro, and he won no important races that year. He did win the Tour Dupont in 1992, but even so his career was nearly finished.

Fat Robert
02-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I don't think so. He didn't even finish the Giro, and he won no important races that year. He did win the Tour Dupont in 1992, but even so his career was nearly finished.

the '91 tour was a race between mottet, lemond, hampsten, and then 7 guys with sludgy blood

fiamme red
02-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Classics weren't really part of his plan.They were (at least through 1986), but he couldn't (or didn't) win them.

johnnymossville
02-14-2008, 11:41 AM
still gives me goosebumps. head over to youtube for a look for anyone who hasn't seen it, or to see it again.

BBB
02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
That's a myth perpetuated by LeMond himself. Hinault was certainly the strongest rider in 1985, and he deserved to win.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/093652792ac400b4

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/f8aba2f0a89723b1

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/b4ff23818cafbcf9

The 1985 race is an interesting one. Hinault was the strongest rider - until he crashed. Had LeMond been allowed to continue to ride on the way up to Luz Ardiden then he probably would have won the race, but it would have been a hollow victory. I'd wager that privately LeMond realises that Hinualt was stronger rider in 1985 and by the same token Hinualt probably realises that team politics ensured his fifth victory.

BBB
02-14-2008, 04:05 PM
They were (at least through 1986), but he couldn't (or didn't) win them.

This is true, but he did have a certain Sean Kelly (amongst others) to contend with.