PDA

View Full Version : Advice for fit

jbanfield
12-31-2007, 10:46 AM
I have been working through recurring lower back and hip pain for the past 2 years with my concours. My bike fitter has no suggestions and has asked me, so let me put the question to my fellow bikers. Some details are that I am a 5' female and rode a Terry for 10years. I love my Serotta, but we can't seem to work together. I have read Andy Pruitt's book and wonder if you think I should adopt his direction?
thanks and Happy New Year!
Jane

swoop
12-31-2007, 12:34 PM
this is way too vague.
call tom kellogg from spectrum bikes. fly out to the barn and have him design a bike and fit that works for you.
be happy.

being a fitter doesn't always mean you can fit a bike. its like today i woke up and decided i'm a dancer. please refer to me as dancer swoop. i've seen dance on youtube.

Karin Kirk
12-31-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi Jane,

Yes, we need more info. What do you mean by adopting Andy Pruitt's direction?
Which Serotta do you have? Is it stock or custom? Which saddle? What type of riding do you do? Is your back and hip pain from an injury? Does it happen at times aside from riding?

Er swoop, I think "prancer" is more like it.

Tom
12-31-2007, 12:51 PM

Just don't call him Vixen.

swoop
12-31-2007, 12:53 PM
some names are hard earned.

jbanfield
01-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi Jane,

Yes, we need more info. What do you mean by adopting Andy Pruitt's direction?
Which Serotta do you have? Is it stock or custom? Which saddle? What type of riding do you do? Is your back and hip pain from an injury? Does it happen at times aside from riding?

Thanks for your interest. I have a custom concours, Bontrager Lite ladies seat. Andy Pruitt says a short rider (short legs and long upper body) will need the saddle forward more than expected.

Back and hip pain only started when I got the new concours. Chiropractor suggested a few changes but I have not been able to eliminate the problem. he felt it may be a hip flexor issue. I don't have the problem with any other sport. I would like to try adjusting handlebars or seat height but I've haven't a clue which direction to start. I rode about 2500 miles this summer and by Sept, it was a continuous ache. I am a recreational rider, cadence 80-85. I do have a tendency to use higher gears vs. cadence for speed. I'm hoping to work on it over the winter with my trainer and outside if weather permits.

David Kirk
01-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Any chance you could post photos of you on the bike? A few taken from the side with your hands on the tops, the hoods and the drops would help out a lot.

Dave

Alexi
01-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Jane,
also let us know what area you are located in and perhaps we can recommend a couch or fitter for you to work with with a good rep.
Cheers,
Alexi

dave thompson
01-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Jane,
also let us know what area you are located in and perhaps we can recommend a couch or fitter for you to work with with a good rep.
Cheers,
Alexi
A couch would be good but a coach will be better! :D

Blue Jays
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Jane,
Cheers,
AlexiCouch suggestion:
Ekornes Stressless (http://new.ekornes.com/us/stressless/)

Fitter suggestion:
Tom Kellogg, Jeff Duser, & Colby (http://www.spectrum-cycles.com)

jmeloy
01-02-2008, 03:43 PM
pm sent

Ti Designs
01-02-2008, 03:54 PM
A couch would be good but a coach will be better!

I don't agree. A coach may be able to solve the problem over time, but a couch would eliminate the problem instantly.

pdbrye
01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, your fitter doesn't sound like much of a fitter. You might want to seek out someone more capable.

stevep
01-02-2008, 04:25 PM
take a swing.
where are you located?
might get some good recommendations from some of the ladies or even one of the men.

i take dance lessons from swoop.
he's like travolta in sat night fever.

Bill Bove
01-02-2008, 05:08 PM
I've often wondered what became of Danny Terrio :confused: He's calling himself "swoop" now and racing bikes,eh :rolleyes:

Karin Kirk
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
i take dance lessons from swoop.
he's like travolta in sat night fever.

It's possible I'd pay to watch you taking dance lessons from swoop.
Depends on what kind of dancing.
Tap?
Swing?
Ballroom?

Sorry for the thread hijack - Jane, the follow up questions are all on the right track. Let us know where you live and also post pics if you want some group therapy.

stevep
01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
It's possible I'd pay to watch you taking dance lessons from swoop.
Depends on what kind of dancing.
Tap?
Swing?
Ballroom?

swoops got 2 broken feet.
he said waltz, i heard flamenco.

i dont understand it either.. but shino had cooked up paella...
started from that.

spincycle
01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
If you have tried for two years to get your current bike to work without success it might be time to consider seeing a designer/builder. You already have two recommendations to see Tom Kellogg. I did back in 2004 and he did an outstanding job. After riding my Spectrum for a year I still had knee pain. All my other fit issues were resolved. Tom recommended I see someone in the medical profession regarding my knees. So I did.

I went to see Andy Pruitt and he fitted me with wedges and shims to resolve a leg length inequality and the equivalent of a forefoot valgus condition. Andy Pruitt does an outstanding job resolving issues like mine and maybe yours. His website recommends you arrive with a good fitting bike. That may seem like a waste of time since you are going there for a bike fit but what he does is work on subtle adjustments to the bike to remedy specific physical symptoms. If the basic contact points, geometry and tube selection are correct he can work on making small changes well within the builder's design parameters. In my case Andy Pruitt remarked that Tom did an excellent job designing a bike for someone who was outside of the bell curve if you will.

The only adjustment Andy made to the bike was a change in seat height to account for the shimming on my shorter leg. Tom had essentially split the difference whereas Andy could optimize the seat height and get things equal.

After having said all that I'm willing to bet a visit to guys like Tom Kellogg, Dave Kirk, Curt Goodrich, Mike Zanconato, Carl Strong to name a few will resolve your issue. By the way, Richard Sachs would be an excellent choice but if you have suffured two years already you don't need to wait another 5 or so. Good luck.

swoop
01-02-2008, 05:55 PM
solid gold.

shinomaster
01-02-2008, 06:00 PM
its like today i woke up and decided i'm a dancer. please refer to me as dancer swoop. i've seen dance on youtube.

I bet you have the legs for it:)

dave thompson
01-02-2008, 06:08 PM
I bet you have the legs for it:)
He's cute too, I hear.

Frankwurst
01-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Any chance you could post photos of you on the bike? A few taken from the side with your hands on the tops, the hoods and the drops would help out a lot.

Dave

Start here. :beer:

Karin Kirk
01-02-2008, 06:23 PM
swoops got 2 broken feet.
he said waltz, i heard flamenco.

perhaps you'd have better luck if you tried ice dancing?

stevep
01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
perhaps you'd have better luck if you tried ice dancing?

metza metz,
he needed 2 transfusions but he seems better now.
s
i thk the bike is better for him really.

jbanfield
01-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I live in North central NJ area, near Morristown, NJ. I would be interested in your suggestions.

jane

cmg
01-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Lets cloud the water. Take a look at Steve Hoggs sugestions on fit. http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/further%20reading.htm

djg
01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I live in North central NJ area, near Morristown, NJ. I would be interested in your suggestions.

jane

Well, I don't have any particular knowledge about the best or only person to solve your problems, but your NJ location means that a drive to Tom K is an easy day trip in the car. Why not make an appointment to see him and bring your bike? He may suggest adjustments to the old ride that haven't been tried or he may suggest that you need to start afresh, but in any case you'll have a fresh -- and very experienced and well regarded -- set of eyes watch you sit on the bike and pedal, as well as talk to you.