PDA

View Full Version : LBS customer service question

scottcw
08-04-2004, 12:58 PM
Last Friday, I ordered an Ottrott from the Demos & Deals page from the closest LBS to me. I followed up on Sat. with an order for a new stem and handlebars. I was told that the bike would arrive mid-week and they would need to check stock on the stem/handlebars. They would let me know on Mon. when everything would arrive so that I could arrange to rent a car to bring my current bike in to have everything moved to the new frame/fork.

Mon. - no call from the LBS.
Tues. - no call by mid-afternoon. I called them and was told that the stem/bar were in stock, but they would have a better idea of when they would arrive today. I reminded them that I need to know ASAP to arrange the car rental and take a day off work.
Wed. (today) - still no call as of 2:00.

Is it me or is this poor customer service? also, how would you handle this with the LBS?

BikerGrl
08-04-2004, 01:37 PM
Just curious, Are you speaking to the same person at the LBS every time? Who is the head honcho at the bike shop? I think it is poor c/s and especially for the "type" of purchase (top of the line vehicle).
Sorry about your wait, I know you are rarin' to go and start riding.

Ahneida Ride
08-04-2004, 01:48 PM
This is bad news.

I would write a letter or call Serotta. My LBS does not opertate like this.
I believe Uncle Ben would be interested in knowing which shops are
droping the ball. Serotta can't police shops without our help.

Uncle Ben should also be made aware of those shops that offer
exemplary service.

Roy E. Munson
08-04-2004, 01:53 PM
Is this correct?
You bought a bike from the Serotta Deals & Demo's page through an LBS (I assume they made nothing)
You bought in the old parts off your current bike for them to put on this new bike
You bought a stem and bar from the LBS

djg
08-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Mon. - no call from the LBS.
Tues. - no call by mid-afternoon. I called them and was told that the stem/bar were in stock, but they would have a better idea of when they would arrive today. I reminded them that I need to know ASAP to arrange the car rental and take a day off work.
Wed. (today) - still no call as of 2:00.

Is it me or is this poor customer service? also, how would you handle this with the LBS?

This bit: "in stock, but they would have a better idea when they would arrive ..." is confusing. Is it that the bars and stem are in-stock while they are still waiting for the frameset? If so, can they not confirm shipment of the frameset and provide you a tracking number?

On the one hand, I agree that the person who said he or she would call should, in fact, call. On the other hand, I don't really see how they can confirm an arrival date before the fact--things happen in shipping that are just out of the shop's hands. I understand that you're anxious to get this all nailed down. but I'm not sure I'd do anything in particular about the missed calls besides continuing to check.

scottcw
08-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Just curious, Are you speaking to the same person at the LBS every time? Who is the head honcho at the bike shop? I think it is poor c/s and especially for the "type" of purchase (top of the line vehicle).
Sorry about your wait, I know you are rarin' to go and start riding.

Yep, talking to the same guy every time. I believe he is the head honcho as his name is listed on the Serotta Dealer Page.

If I do not get the bike on Friday, I will not be able to ride for the second weekend in a row because my current bike does not fit right. Thus the purchase of the Ottrott.

victoryfactory
08-04-2004, 02:03 PM
This is typical customer service from an LBS.
That's why I moan and groan about them all the time.
They (mostly) deserve to have their business taken away by the online
outlets like Excel, Colorado Cyclist, etc. Who offer better, faster, cheaper and
more informed service to their customers, And they have everything in stock.
I would love to be able to give more business to an LBS, but nearly all of them that I've seen. seem to be missing the boat on service, price and expertise.
If they were any good, their on line competitors would not be everywhere like they are now. It's not just price that chased me away, I'm tired of being lied to by the boss while his lacky is squeezing the decals off my frame with the work stand!
IMO, this whole segment of the industry hangs by a thread, and wait till the Mega-Lo-Mart starts selling road bikes, that will kill them off completely!

VF
Sorry, I know this was not a constructive or helpful message, and I hope your new ride gives you great joy once it is finished. But can you imagine
this kind of service from A Serotta dealer?

scottcw
08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
This bit: "in stock, but they would have a better idea when they would arrive ..." is confusing. Is it that the bars and stem are in-stock while they are still waiting for the frameset? If so, can they not confirm shipment of the frameset and provide you a tracking number?

Frame/fork are coming from Serotta. It will arrive today.

Stem/bar are shipping from the manufacturer's warehouse in WI. Thus, "in stock", but not at the LBS. They were to have shipped Mon. or Tues., but the LBS does not know when they arrive.

Roy - I am sure that the LBS still gets a cut from frames ordered through the D&D page. The prices listed there say, "retail price." So they are getting a cut of the frame/fork + the stem/bar. Yes, the rest of the components are coming off my current bike. Oh, they will get paid $55/hr. for moving the components from one bike to the other. They are not hurting here.

OldDog
08-04-2004, 02:20 PM
There's good shops and there's bad shops. Some are run by pinheads while others are run by true enthusests/businessmen. If your one of the <few> who live near a good shop, give them a pat on the back, even buy them a pizza once in a while, as their rare.

I'll switch your parts for a six pack of Sierra Nevada :beer:

Edit: Is this shop a bona fide Serotta dealer, or can any dealer get in on the "stock" bike clearence?

scottcw
08-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Edit: Is this shop a bona fide Serotta dealer, or can any dealer get in on the "stock" bike clearence?

They are listed on the Serotta dealer page and they were one of two recommended by Serotta over the phone.

va rider
08-04-2004, 04:26 PM
When I was deciding between ordering between a custom Serotta and an auction bike, I spoke to the owner of my lbs. He told me they get their standard cut on a demo or auction bike. And, it made no difference to him which I would buy (both were close in price).

As far as moving your parts over, save some money and take off as many parts as you can. You can easily take off the bulk of parts, including brifters, calipers, derailleurs, wheels, seatpost and seat. The crank and bb you need the right tools.

scottcw
08-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Got a call around 3:30. The bar/stem were in, but the bike was the hold-up. Serotta did not ship on Monday as requested (according to the LBS). The bike will be there on Fri. around 1:00, so I have reserved a car to drive out there to get everything done.

Sat. morning I will be in the saddle of a new Ottrott. And I mean new. Turns out this was the "catalog bike" for 2003. All they did was build it up and take pictures. Riding, if any, has been minimal.

victoryfactory
08-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Scottcw;

The anticipation, the sweet reality, the inspiration of a new ride.
Don't let a small LBS misscommunication (or a sour anti LBS rant from
some nut) take away your joy.
You will forget about all that as you fly down the road on your new bike.
Anything worth doing is worth working for.

Good luck, post pictures please.

VF

scottcw
08-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Good luck, post pictures please.

Pic here:

http://www.brittonbikes.com/bikes-2004/serotta/04-ottrott.htm

va rider
08-05-2004, 10:24 AM
VF nailed it! few things as sweet as that first ride on a new rod. enjoy it, it is absolutely an incredible feeling.

Congrats on the purchase!!

scottcw
08-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Thanks VF and va.

Looking forward to the maiden voyage. If I have enough energy, I may try it on the annual moonlight ride in Central Park tomorrow night. Otherwise, a hook-up with NYCC or solo rides in Prospect Park over the weekend. Maybe a ride to Bear Mountain.

va rider
08-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Please post a ride report and pics when you have them...