PDA

View Full Version : Threaded or threadless Stem

paengn
01-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I am thinking of having a custom lugged steel made. Would one inch threaded stem be better in terms of looks and function than the modern threadless? Please advice. Thanks

dnovo
01-01-2004, 05:23 PM
I think it is purely an issue of the way it looks rather than how it works. dbrk and others prefer the look of a threaded stem and believe it will perform better. I feel a threadless with a good looking stem will also be pleasing to the eye and will be just as functionable. (For example, I find the Thomson polished stem and seatpost a particularly handsome set.)

One item to check is the availability of stems. The move to threadless has limited the number of good, threaded or quill stems still to be found. The 'creme de la creme' IMHO (which I believe dbrk shares based on our conversations about this) is the Nitto Pearl. The Salsa SUL is also nice, and can be custom painted if you wish to get around the 'black only' it comes in if you need a color to match a frame. (I just acquired a nice bike in red with a threaded Salsa stem painted by Joe Bell to match the frame.)

Dave N.

paengn
01-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Thank you very much for the input. Dave

dnovo
01-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Da Nada. Dave N.

vaxn8r
01-01-2004, 06:07 PM
There are fewer and fewer quill stems available. I've found that even if a company claims to make one (Salsa, for example) you can't find one to buy or order.

I've been looking for something for my Atlanta for a few months and have not had any luck. Specifically I'm looking for a polished quill stem with a removable faceplate so I don't have to take down the bar tape with switch-outs. I've seen a few on the net but none in stock.

Get a threadless. Avoid the hassle.

dnovo
01-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Agree fully, having been there myself. "You are wise for one who has lived not yet a single lifetime, VanHelsing!" Sorry, vax, couldn't help it. Dave N.

Serotta PETE
01-02-2004, 08:51 AM
The threaded stem has more adjustability but the customer demand has pretty much died. If 5 years ago, I would have chosen the threaded BUT now the threadless has won out.

Kirk Cycles, I hear, is now building custom stems so you might give him a call. Additionally SALSA is still available for threaded in most sizes, with the face plate. Phil and I have recently ordered and received them. (It took about 3 weeks for mine to come but they are available in the most common sizes.

PETE

Climb01742
01-02-2004, 11:03 AM
rivendell has a selection of threaded stems. checked it out to prepare for my merckx MXL arriving off eBay.

paengn
01-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Pete and Climb

saab2000
01-02-2004, 11:56 AM
...think threaded quill stems look a bit better. I would agree. But like the others have said, availibility has become something of a problem. Some good LBSs have basements full of quill stems from the old days and from having changed out the stems of customers.

Also, as the others have said, many frame builders will build you a stem. I know Steelman makes one as do several others.

For a traditional looking lugged bike I think a quill stem looks better. And a Cinelli looks the best! :D

paengn
01-02-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks Saab. Actually I have both threaded and non threaded stems kept in a closet, so, it is just a matter of which looks better. I am actually inclined more to use the one inch threaded stem.

pbbob
01-02-2004, 12:57 PM
on the cdale beater I have a threaded fork with an adapter to use a threadless stem.
on my custom steel bikes I have 1" forks with cinelli quills.