PDA

View Full Version : Go Hoosiers!

Skrawny
12-30-2007, 11:57 PM
Things have changed since I posted this thread. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32657&highlight=nebraska)

I have now accepted a fellowship position at Indiana University starting in July of 2008. The medical center is in Indianapolis.

Anyone know what the cycling is like out there?
Any recommendations for good bike shops for Trigger's bi-annual checkup?

-s

Viper
12-31-2007, 12:23 AM
atmo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joD4CSQRcXY

kerrycycle
12-31-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm a native Hoosier, but since I'm a Purdue guy, definitely not a Hoosier fan (sorry). That being said, the cycling culture in & around Indy is pretty good, and it is even better in the Bloomington area, especially because of the rolling terrain. There are quite a few good bike stores. Give Bicycle Garage Indy (BGI) a try (both Indy & Bloomington locations). I started racing there before relocating & really caught the bug. Good luck!

Skrawny
01-02-2008, 11:27 PM
-bump-

There's gotta be more people out there from Indiana.

Mr President?

-s

lemonlaug
01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm from Indiana, although the bulk of my riding has occurred elsewhere.

I'll agree with the pp who said Bloomington is better riding for its hills. That said, Indy shouldn't be too bad: there's the Major Taylor Velodrome, and Marian College has a top collegiate track program. Also, I recall reading about a statewide road race series which was sort of an early spring affair. So depending on your interests there are several ways you might satisfy them. I imagine Indy is a good city for riding in terms of size, and a bad one in terms of catering to the bike set.

Spinner
01-03-2008, 11:04 AM
... indianapolis. indy is a great bicycling city. there are many smooth urban routes from downtown to nearly anywhere. you don't need to ride far outside of indianapolis to find low traffic country roads.

eagle creek park on the westside is a terrific place for riding with technically challenging road rides on smooth surfaces where traffic defers to bicyclists. the most risky thing here would be the numerous whitetail deer, especially at dawn and dusk.

on the north side of town is a city-owned mountain bike area called town ride park. this area is in the floodplain of the white river and offers some excellent inter-mediate level riding. there is an 8 mile loop trail that has plenty of roller coasters.

you should also consider joining the central indiana bicycling association. this group has regular weekly rides where you can ride as fast or as moderately as you like.

aside from the Hilly Hundred, another terrific event sponsored by the Bloomington Bicycle Club is the Ride Across Indiana (RAIN), a 160 mile one day event in July. This is always a challenging ride.

If you like slow rides with a lot of traffic, the monon trail in Indy fits the bill. built on a former rail bed, this trail can take you from the downtown area all the way north of the city into hamilton county. even though it is typically busy with walkers, joggers and the like, it can provide an enjoyable workout or quick route to broadripple, a near north-side area that offers reasonable housing and good entertainment.

all the best with your experiences in indy.

signed,

a hoosier native

ox_rider
01-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Try this http://www.dinoseries.com/ if you feel like getting muddy.

Bloomington and Brown County want to test your legs. Also, add this http://www.hillyhundred.org/ to your list of things to do next fall.

Dave B
01-03-2008, 11:39 PM
ok, tell me what experience you are looking and hoping for.

I can at least help you in terms of finding out info for you.

If you have kids then we really need to talk.

I know loads of bike shops from high end to well not as fun.

If you want mtbing then I will point you to a few specific places. If you want leisurely roads then I have perfect ones out by me (not many if any hills, but peaceful, country) I would be happy to show you.

The medical school and hospitals in Indy are freaking fantastic. IU med hospitals is one of the best.

My sister in law is now in residency at UCONN, but graduated from IU and had amazing experiences.

Send me a PM if you want to hook up or just chat. My wife is from here and knows lots about the Indy area. She doesn't bike, but she knows fun.

Cheers

Dave

there is a decent cycling culture. I have my own opinions of some of the clubs, but would be more then happy to introduce you to great people.

Hey we have Zipp here...until SRAM messes that up.

Don Walker relocated here why I couldn't tell you, but it is pretty cheap here. Huge homes for low prices. Coming from San Fran, you'll ****e yourself with what you can get in the way of a home.

Longdaddy
01-04-2008, 12:17 AM
But have not been back to Indiana except to visit Mom for a week each year.
Anyhow, Bloomington:
Little 500 Bicycle: race 3rd Week each April. Don't miss it. I've rode in National championships, but there is something about having 35,000 screaming people in the stands that make for a great day.

Brown County State Park- Great road rides, Pan-Am road course, excellent MTB.

Hoosier National Forest: More great MTB, also great road riding: Think of the scenes of Dave racing Team Cinzano and you are thinking of HNF.
Morgan-Monroe State Forest: Just north of Bloomington. Fantastic riding, District Road Championship course in the past; also the scene where Dave Stoler gets a flat tire.

Hilly-Hundred Tour, Bloomington: Usually early OCT. 2 days, 50 miles each day. Great courses. HILLY. The flat corn fields stop just south of Indianapolis, near Martinsville. That's as far as the glaciers got a few thousand years ago.

Bloomington Bike shops: Bicycle Garage Bloomington, Bikesmiths, Hoosier Schwinn, Bicycle Doctor. I'm sure there are more since I've last been there.

Indianapolis:
Bicycle Garage Indy, Zipp is located in Speedway, the Major Taylor Velodrome is on the North side of Town (333m cement, high bank. Tuesday and SAT night racing. Clinics. Fun), a good Masters team is in town, lots of Clubs in the area. Some Custom Builders (Cherry in W. Laffeyette, a Titanium builder whose name escapes me in Indy.)
Anyhow, I hope you like S. Indiana. Except for the crap weather in Jan and Feb, it is awesome for riding.

Longdaddy
NW Indiana Native,
IU Grad
Army Officer
Currently Renting a mud hut in E. Afghanistan

Dave B
01-04-2008, 12:26 AM
everything LD said.

Bloomington schwinn is now giles cycling I think.

The Bicycle garage in B-town, has turned into...well it isn't like it used tobe.

You would not believe how B-town has changed. all the stuff you see in breaking away is gone ..."New and improved"

They even closed and began filling in the quarries!

Brown County is turning into a great place to mountain bike.

I love it!

Little 500 is actually more about the race then the parties like it used to be.

slowgoing
01-04-2008, 12:32 AM
Do they still have that "Wander Indiana" logo on the license plates? That was one of the dopiest things ever.

Longdaddy
01-04-2008, 12:37 AM
I stopped through B-Town on leave with the family about 4 years ago. Brought the bike for a ride, too. You are right, a lot has changed. I went to IU from 87-92 (yes, extended program...too much riding, not much studying). The campus was 100% different than the movie, at that time.

Bike Garage bloomington: where you hung out, waiting for the ride to start or just listen to the gossip. Sorry to hear it changed.

Ah, good times.

Dave B
01-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Do they still have that "Wander Indiana" logo on the license plates? That was one of the dopiest things ever.

No, actually unless you ask for something different they make you use a religious one. What a wonderful headache that was.

crossjunkee
01-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Former Hoosier here too. Indy is VERY competitive cycling city if you're looking to race. There are two training rides that leave just north of downtown. The competitive training ride is Tuesday and Thursday, it leaves from a church at 46th. and Central. The other ride is not so Cat 1/2, and leaves from Broad Ripple. Both routes follow the same roads through town.

www.cibaride.org

www.indianaraceseries.com

Some of the best teams to check out..

Team Tortuga (Bloomington), Papa John's Racing Team, M.O.B. Squad Cycling Team, Honey Stinger-Spinergy Cycling, Indiana Hand Center, Ohio Valley Velo, Barbasol Rapid Transit Racing Team, Team Bolla, Darkhorse Racing, NUVO/Cultural Trail Cycling Team, Texas Roadhouse/Roark Cycling Team

All have websites.

I really miss the cycling scene in Indy.

nm87710
01-04-2008, 11:07 AM
But have not been back to Indiana except to visit Mom for a week each year.
Anyhow, Bloomington:
Little 500 Bicycle: race 3rd Week each April. Don't miss it. I've rode in National championships, but there is something about having 35,000 screaming people in the stands that make for a great day.

Brown County State Park- Great road rides, Pan-Am road course, excellent MTB.

Hoosier National Forest: More great MTB, also great road riding: Think of the scenes of Dave racing Team Cinzano and you are thinking of HNF.
Morgan-Monroe State Forest: Just north of Bloomington. Fantastic riding, District Road Championship course in the past; also the scene where Dave Stoler gets a flat tire.

Hilly-Hundred Tour, Bloomington: Usually early OCT. 2 days, 50 miles each day. Great courses. HILLY. The flat corn fields stop just south of Indianapolis, near Martinsville. That's as far as the glaciers got a few thousand years ago.

Bloomington Bike shops: Bicycle Garage Bloomington, Bikesmiths, Hoosier Schwinn, Bicycle Doctor. I'm sure there are more since I've last been there.

Indianapolis:
Bicycle Garage Indy, Zipp is located in Speedway, the Major Taylor Velodrome is on the North side of Town (333m cement, high bank. Tuesday and SAT night racing. Clinics. Fun), a good Masters team is in town, lots of Clubs in the area. Some Custom Builders (Cherry in W. Laffeyette, a Titanium builder whose name escapes me in Indy.)
Anyhow, I hope you like S. Indiana. Except for the crap weather in Jan and Feb, it is awesome for riding.

Longdaddy
NW Indiana Native,
IU Grad
Army Officer
Currently Renting a mud hut in E. Afghanistan

+1 and spot on.

Went to IU Bloomington in the early 80's. Little5 is a blast. Even 25+ years ago it was serious business and nothing like the movie. I had free room/board just for racing on a team. Yea, 35K people(paid attendence) yelling your name at the Little5 compared to 75 people standing around at the Natz . Go figure... Plus after race party was a hoot. Southern Indiana is a wonderful place to ride and it's only ~1hour from Indy to Bloomington. IMO not as much fun riding up Indy way cause it's primarily flat cornfields(e.g. North By Northwest cropduster scene). Plenty of large, small, short, long, fast, slow rides in Indy though and the MTaylor drome is nice.

Good luck and enjoy!

P.S. Get used to biscuits 'n gravy, country ham, Euchre, the Colts and definitely take time to experience the Indy500 and Kentucky Derby once.

crossjunkee
01-04-2008, 11:24 AM
I forgot to mention the BEST pork tenderloin (grilled or fried) is at a little gas station called Gnaw Bone food and fuel. Just East of Bloomington.

Sheldon4209
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Skrawny,
I live just east of Indianapolis and you will find little cycling as transportation in Indy. But there is a strong recreational cycling community in and around town. The county roads around Indy are great for riding and CIBA, the local club has training and weekend rides in the warmer months. There are racing groups but I am not familiar with them.
Don't miss Matthews Bike Shop on the east side. It is on Pendleton Pike almost to the 465 bypass on the east side.
If you have questions or need help about Indianapolis pm me. Welcome to IU and Indy.
Sheldon

pedalcr8z
01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Things have changed since I posted this thread. (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32657&highlight=nebraska)

I have now accepted a fellowship position at Indiana University starting in July of 2008. The medical center is in Indianapolis.

Anyone know what the cycling is like out there?
Any recommendations for good bike shops for Trigger's bi-annual checkup?

-s

Welcome.......my name is Victor....work for BGI (Bicycle Garage Indy), we are a Serotta dealer, Cannondale, Giant, Trek, Redline. Give me a call when in town and I'll turn you onto some excellent riding both here in Indy and in Bloomington where IU is which is about 70 minutes south of Indy....riding around Bloomington will be REAL similar to the SF climbing you're used to.
Victor ....work (317)842-4140 and cell is (317)753-9792

lemonlaug
01-04-2008, 01:34 PM
I forgot to mention the BEST pork tenderloin (grilled or fried) is at a little gas station called Gnaw Bone food and fuel. Just East of Bloomington.

Alas it is no more. The GDP of Gnawbone, IN has fallen by 80% as a result. Ladyman's in Bloomington is gone and leaving a big hole in my heart too. Runcible Spoon has elevated their breakfast options and I recommend it in downtown B. Without ladyman's I try to get my pie fix off of SR-67 at Gray Bros. cafeteria. Anyone who goes to Poe's is a communist.

Skrawny
01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks everyone!
I will be moving to Indy in July, and will look you guys up when I get there. Victor, my aunt and uncle live in Carmel, so I'll see you soon.
-s

dbrown
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm a professor on the campus/med center. I agree with the posters that the cycling is good here. There are some rolling hills west of the city as well as south towards Bloomington. Northeast of the city are the flat rural roads that Mr President described- very low traffic and very flat too. There are several good bike shops (Bicycle Garage is the Serotta dealer), with shops that sell Moots, IF, Seven, Pinarello, Co-motion, Waterford, etc. This shop, http://www.indiebike.com/ has high end clothing -nice to try on before buying.

Dave

jimcav
01-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks everyone!
I will be moving to Indy in July, and will look you guys up when I get there. Victor, my aunt and uncle live in Carmel, so I'll see you soon.
-s
just spent some great days over the holidays biking from north/east fishers out to pendleton and back--flat, but the winds made it work. NO traffic, but the area keeps sprouting houses each time i pop back to visit. all the cornfields of my youth are now houses.

brown county is much better riding (hills) but both areas had little traffic, hamilton county has good schools, and i think north central is good too (in case you have kids)

Bicycle garage has terrible prices--i had to buy eggbeaters cleats and they were over $30, in MD performance bike has them for much less (was there visiting my in-laws prior to Indy--but did not know i'd need a new cleat)
the trails by 96th and hazel dell pkwy are fun--easy to do single speed/rigid when i did them in 2005. spinner is right on with the mtb stuff.

the roads are salted, so you can ride in winter (i rode at 24 degrees with 25 mph winds no problem) i try not to visit in summer, hot humid, mosquitoes...
but you can outride them:)
jim

Dave B
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
if you come in July, I would be happy to show you around. I'll be off dr tv summer, plus you don't want to go to Carmel! :)

Looking forward to hooking up

Prez

MarleyMon
01-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Congratulations on your fellowship!
You may want to root for the IUPUI (Indiana University - Purdue University at Indianapolis) Jaguars - thats the campus where the Med Ctr. is located. check www.iupui.edu.
I hope you find this town as welcoming as I did when I moved here 6 years ago.

NAHBS
01-04-2008, 06:06 PM
I live there...if you ever wanna stop by and visit...

DW

Longdaddy
01-04-2008, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=nm87710]+1 and spot on.

Went to IU Bloomington in the early 80's. Little5 is a blast. Even 25+ years ago it was serious business and nothing like the movie. I had free room/board just for racing on a team.

No question....Little 500 was all business for most riders. I rode for a fraternity with a strong legacy of Little 5 wins, so it was no joke. No parties, no alcohol, study, eat sleep ride. Free spring break to Florida to ride your butt off....

ah, good times. :rolleyes:

Dave B
01-04-2008, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE=nm87710]+1 and spot on.

Went to IU Bloomington in the early 80's. Little5 is a blast. Even 25+ years ago it was serious business and nothing like the movie. I had free room/board just for racing on a team.

No question....Little 500 was all business for most riders. I rode for a fraternity with a strong legacy of Little 5 wins, so it was no joke. No parties, no alcohol, study, eat sleep ride. Free spring break to Florida to ride your butt off....

ah, good times. :rolleyes:

Which one!!!!!????!!!!! Frat wise.

Dave B
01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
just spent some great days over the holidays biking from north/east fishers out to pendleton and back--flat, but the winds made it work. NO traffic, but the area keeps sprouting houses each time i pop back to visit. all the cornfields of my youth are now houses.

brown county is much better riding (hills) but both areas had little traffic, hamilton county has good schools, and i think north central is good too (in case you have kids)

Bicycle garage has terrible prices--i had to buy eggbeaters cleats and they were over $30, in MD performance bike has them for much less (was there visiting my in-laws prior to Indy--but did not know i'd need a new cleat)
the trails by 96th and hazel dell pkwy are fun--easy to do single speed/rigid when i did them in 2005. spinner is right on with the mtb stuff.

the roads are salted, so you can ride in winter (i rode at 24 degrees with 25 mph winds no problem) i try not to visit in summer, hot humid, mosquitoes...
but you can outride them:)
jim

Dude you were right by me, wished you would have looked me up!

Hamilton SE schools is where I work...but not to worry I am not the drunk principal who is all over the news. ooopppsss!

If you like to mtb I'll take you to BC, town run/96th street is lame. There is like a 10foot elevation change through out the entire course. well maybe 11.

Dave B
01-04-2008, 10:46 PM
I live there...if you ever wanna stop by and visit...

DW

Got pressure O'Donnell to commit to next years show. Good fella and he is a big fan of yours....as all of us hoosiers are!

NAHBS
01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Got pressure O'Donnell to commit to next years show. Good fella and he is a big fan of yours....as all of us hoosiers are!

I have fans???? :confused: Holy Cr@p! First sign of the apocalypse! :bike:

take cover! :beer:

DW

Longdaddy
01-05-2008, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=Longdaddy]

Which one!!!!!????!!!!! Frat wise.

Delta Chi

A lot of god riders from the late 70's- early 80's. Stetina brothers, Rybar, Gutowkoski, et al. The original Cutters came from D-Chi after a falling out.

Longdaddy

Skrawny
06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Well, it has finally come to pass.

My last ride in the SF Bay Area was Sunday. It was a beautiful, easy ride around the Paradise Loop (Tiburon) with good friends. The week before I did Alpine Dam: my favorite ride.

Yesterday I took my bike to my good buddies who just opened their new shop (bespokecyclessf.com (http://bespokecyclessf.com ) - check em out if you're in SF) and trusted them to box up Trigger well.

On Friday all gets loaded on a moving van bound for Indianapolis.

I am a little worried about my cycling prospects in Indy. Not that there isn't good riding or good riders out there - I have proof to the contrary on this site. It is more that I will be working hard during the week, and my fiancee will be visiting me from St louis on the weekends, so I just don't know WHEN I'll be able to ride.

Alas.

-s

Dave B
06-03-2008, 09:25 AM
you are staying in carmel right?

I am sure we can sort you out. I can at least tell you what roads to not ride on and when for safety reasons.

Your always welcome to my Garage-ma-hall. Free maintenance for forum pals.

We can rap about rides and places.

Do any mtbing at all? What about Cross?

Cheers

dave

H1449-6
06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Others have already posted most of the salient points on biking in/around Indy, but for my part I'll add that I lived in Carmel, IN (north suburb) for about a year and a half and I'd move back to the Indy area in a heartbeat, both for the cycling and for general quality of life.

Dave B
06-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Others have already posted most of the salient points on biking in/around Indy, but for my part I'll add that I lived in Carmel, IN (north suburb) for about a year and a half and I'd move back to the Indy area in a heartbeat, both for the cycling and for general quality of life.

How funny, I would move away in a heartbeat! :D

rsl
06-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Congratulations!

I didn't get a chance to read through all the posts, but I believe NAHBS 2009 is slated for Indianapolis.

MarleyMon
06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
How funny, I would move away in a heartbeat! :D
Aww c'mon - are the rainstorms & tornadoes getting to you? ;)

Skrawny - travel safe!

Skrawny
07-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Well here I am!
I finally have an unexpected day off (tomorrow) from a crushing work schedule and my bike is finally all built up.

I am looking for a 40-something mile ride, as I have not been on my bike in about 2 months.

Any recommendations?
Anyone want to join me? (I know it's last minute)
-s