PDA

View Full Version : curious about the cost of digital storage...

eddief
12-30-2007, 11:45 AM
the real question relates to why the wonderful sponsors of this terrific website have us cut down the size of the photos we upload? from my point of view it is a hassle and reduces the clarity of the photos I'd like to post. what is the reason for having us do this? i thought storage these days would be relatively cheapish for nearly free? no?

DarrenCT
12-30-2007, 12:08 PM
the really question is...... why is there a limit on the number of private messages?

fjaws
12-30-2007, 02:28 PM
You're doing something wrong if you're losing quality by shrinking your photos. Since most monitors can only display 72 dpi if you're saving the photos at a higher setting than that, you're wasting space.

I think it makes perfect sense that they don't want everyone posting the output of their 8 MP cameras so we can all see full quality 8" X 10" photos of each others bike parts. If someone wants your photos in that quality you can always e-mail them to that person.

Dekonick
12-30-2007, 04:44 PM
But why limit PM's???

woolly
12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Cost of storage probably isn't the only point. Maintaining some semblance of control over transmission bandwidth is also a consideration. Most hosting services have tiered pricing for both of these. Not necessarily the same thing as just finding a few extra GB on your local PC's hard drive. :beer: