PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Simpsons Movie

mcteague
12-30-2007, 07:32 AM
First, let me say that I fell in love with "The Simpsons" when they appeared on "The Tracy Ullman Show". The initial season on Fox was a bit of a disappointment. They were different than before, not as weird and edgy. So, I stopped watching for a few years. When I next saw the show I was amazed at how funny it was. The near constant repeats allowed me to see all the shows I had missed. I currently own seasons 2-6 on DVD (the years 3-6 being the best seasons EVER in my opinion).

Which brings me to the movie. Wow did it stink! I had heard that many of the original writers got back together so I had high hopes that it would not be as lousy as the TV series has become. Not a chance, not funny and much longer. What really surprises me is all the positive reaction to the movie, "Rotten Tomatoes" shows an 89% review rating.

It seems to me that once the show caught on with the general public it ceased to be funny. People kept watching and it stayed on the air long past it's due date. When I happen to see a recent episode it just makes me angry. Why sully the reputation of one of television's shining series with this crap? Some people just can't walk away from money so I guess the show will go on as long as it has an audience.

Tim McTeague

dauwhe
12-30-2007, 08:09 AM
I quite enjoyed the movie. It certainly had the best animated nude skateboarding scene in history!

Of course the show has been very uneven for many years. But there are still some gems now and then, and I think it's better to keep getting the occasional good episode than to give up entirely.

Dave

saab2000
12-30-2007, 08:18 AM
I didn't see the Simpsons movie, but the South Park movie is hysterical. At least if you think seeing animated 3rd graders use profanity is funny. :D

Steve Hampsten
12-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Slightly OT, but "Superbad" is insanely funny - and a pretty good movie too. The opening scene is priceless.

"Team America" for animated puppet sex, of course, and weapons of mass destruction.

RudAwkning
12-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Better than the Simpsons movie, is the new Futurama movie. Smart as ever.

sock puppet
12-30-2007, 02:40 PM
"Team America" for animated puppet sex, of course, and weapons of mass destruction.

Thanks for the tip.

Squint
12-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Better than the Simpsons movie, is the new Futurama movie. Smart as ever.

Yeah, it's much better but all the Futurama episodes were also much better than Simpsons episodes of the same time. You'd have to go back many seasons to find comparable Simpsons episodes.

davids
12-31-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm one of the biggest Simpsons fans ever. I just saw the movie, and thought it was fine. Like an extra-long, pretty good episode. That's all.

And Albert Brooks was a funny as he's ever been. Probably, overall, their best-ever guest voice.

deechee
12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
I was bored. really bored. I think the movie only got a smile and possibly one or two laughs throughout from myself.

Like you, I was a big Simpsons fan and Seasons 5-6 were my favourites. That said, its extremely hard to expand a 22minute show into a 90minute movie. Considering that, it was decently done. It could've been worse. A lot worse.

I heard the Futurama movie is good too. I probably should rent it since I've been having some livid nightmares lately watching "The Wire" since my gf got me Season4 for christmas...

bostondrunk
12-31-2007, 12:24 PM
I thought it was good!
Favorite line:
"Thank you boob lady!"

:)

bostondrunk
12-31-2007, 12:26 PM
Slightly OT, but "Superbad" is insanely funny - and a pretty good movie too. The opening scene is priceless.

++

Superbad was great too!

Doc Hollywood
12-31-2007, 11:22 PM
What are you guys, like 13?

My brother in law wanted to rent the movie over the holiday's something fierce. So I rented it along with the Simpson's movie.

The title is aptley named for this movie. It was absolutley stupid in my opinion. I kept watching it and thinking , "It's got to get better soon, right? I mean, it's supposed to be funny." I probably would have laughed some if I was 13 again. Not even worth renting IMHO AND if someone let's you borrow a copy, don't even bother. Life is too short to waste 2 h watching it.

Simpson's movie was okay. It had some very funny moments, but it was just a 2 hour Simpsons episode. Definelty a renter if you like the Simpson's.

Doc

mcteague
01-01-2008, 07:34 AM
What are you guys, like 13?

Doc
I, too, feel out of touch with the mainstream tastes. I rented "Knocked Up" as it rec'd terrific reviews and purported to be a step above the average teen fare. I thought it was juvenile and pointless. There was some clever dialog but, all in all, a waste of time. The best movie I have seen recently is "The Lives of Others". Actually, one of the best movies in years IMO.

Tim McTeague

stevep
01-01-2008, 07:45 AM
The best movie I have seen recently is "The Lives of Others". Actually, one of the best movies in years IMO.

Tim McTeague

that was quite a flick, good choice.

i thk revues these days are totally done by in house critics. its a bag job.
its mostly garbage put out by giant corps and then revued by people who work for the same company.