PDA

View Full Version : Questions about a Moser

chuckroast
12-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Hello, I am asking for some historical information from the collective memory here.

I bought a Moser today off Craigs List. The fellow who was selling said he bought it new and thought it was in 1987. That seems about right to me judging by the component mix. There were a couple of things though that seemed out of period and if so, I'd like to replace them with pieces that are more historically accurate.

So, lugged Columbus Aelle tubing, no model name that I could find but a couple of Giro de Italia stickers and one Fransisco Moser signature decal on the top tube. Red to white fade on the paint. The downtube shifters and both deraillers are Campy (friction only). The crankset and brake calipers are Gipiemme, the quill stem is ITM, I couldn't find a label on the bars.

Now the questions:
1. The wheel set has obviously been changed out, Open 4 CD on Performance hubs. Does anyone know what might have been original spec or what would be period correct?
2. It has aero brake levers and hoods, Dia Comp. I don't remember aero hoods showing up till the early '90's but maybe I'm having a senior moment? Do we think these were original to the bike and if not, what would have been more likely?

Thanks to all for any guidance, Happy New year!

Chris
12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Aero hoods came out around 85-87. You started to see a good mix of riders using aero hoods in 86. As I recall, they were Campy first and then Dia Compe came out with theirs in 87.

As for hubs, you are probably in the Victory range with that bike. Just a guess.

sspielman
12-28-2007, 07:33 PM
On a bike with Aelle tubing...and some Gipiemme in the mix, the hubs could also likely be Gipiemme Sprint....and the rims likely something by Ambrosio...

Fixed
12-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Hello, I am asking for some historical information from the collective memory here.

I bought a Moser today off Craigs List. The fellow who was selling said he bought it new and thought it was in 1987. That seems about right to me judging by the component mix. There were a couple of things though that seemed out of period and if so, I'd like to replace them with pieces that are more historically accurate.

So, lugged Columbus Aelle tubing, no model name that I could find but a couple of Giro de Italia stickers and one Fransisco Moser signature decal on the top tube. Red to white fade on the paint. The downtube shifters and both deraillers are Campy (friction only). The crankset and brake calipers are Gipiemme, the quill stem is ITM, I couldn't find a label on the bars.

Now the questions:
1. The wheel set has obviously been changed out, Open 4 CD on Performance hubs. Does anyone know what might have been original spec or what would be period correct?
2. It has aero brake levers and hoods, Dia Comp. I don't remember aero hoods showing up till the early '90's but maybe I'm having a senior moment? Do we think these were original to the bike and if not, what would have been more likely?

Thanks to all for any guidance, Happy New year!
moser fit cat
imho cheers

Grant McLean
12-28-2007, 07:55 PM
the 1986 dia compe catalog shows the aero gran compe levers.

-g

chuckroast
12-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Yep, them's the ones....thanks to all!

I'll start looking for a wheelset.

maunahaole
12-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Mavic MA40 or MA2 would probably be period correct. Campy box section rims can be found on ebay pretty easily now, as well as complete wheels.