PDA

View Full Version : Giordana bike

rwsaunders
12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Bits and pieces from the seller indicate Columbus TSX tubing and a mid-range Campy build. Too small (56cm) for me, but I have an interested cycling buddy. Thanks

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/pullerc/Giordana013.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/pullerc/Giordana012.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/pullerc/Giordana011.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/pullerc/Giordana010.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/pullerc/Giordana005.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/pullerc/Giordana004.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/pullerc/Giordana001.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/pullerc/Giordana008.jpg

haimtoeg
12-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Weren't some Giordana bikes made by Pegoretti?

RIHans
12-27-2007, 11:59 PM
His Giordana is a CS Super or GS Super...Over size tubes, same brake bridge
as far as I can tell. Nice bike, he loves his. Those Giordanas are very sweet
late 80's, early 90's lugged steel. Peg's maybe.

Edit...Just noticed the BB/detail. Very close to his, as I remember.

Further Edit...My pals bike is an XL Super...Very Nice.

Peter P.
12-28-2007, 12:31 AM
I don't think Giordana was a "brand" of bike as much as is was a marketing extension of the Giordana cycling clothing brand.

There's nothing wrong with that however, as they were merely built in a factory in Italy that also built other brands-like a subcontractor.

That said, they always had a quality reputation. The frame you displayed photos of IS beautiful; it's lugged, it has what was then very high end Columbus steel tubes, and the paint job would cost a premium today.

Don't know what your friend's intentions are but I'd say as long as the frame fits, it's a keeper. You could strip the frame, sell the parts on e-Bay and with the proceeds fund a repaint and partial build with current parts, if you wanted.

The only "unusual" thing about the frame will probably be the Italian bottom bracket threads, but that's no big deal.

Dr. Doofus
12-28-2007, 12:57 AM
been here before

designed by pegoretti

built (about a 90& chance) by billlato

a very nice early-90s steel bike

maunahaole
12-28-2007, 01:57 AM
How much will this cost? You need to think of this as a frame and fork - that campy syncro-2 stuff is flaky. The brakes are weak, etc....Crank, BB, and HS are solid, but heavy bits.

Nice looking frame, though.

amator
12-28-2007, 02:10 AM
How much will this cost? You need to think of this as a frame and fork - that campy syncro-2 stuff is flaky. The brakes are weak, etc....Crank, BB, and HS are solid, but heavy bits.

the campy stuff looks solidly built though

rwsaunders
12-28-2007, 08:00 AM

The seller is asking $450 for the package.

DarrenCT
12-28-2007, 08:08 AM
^

a good night out in the city if u ask me

go for it!

William
12-28-2007, 08:17 AM
I'd grab it for that price.....and it's not even close to my size.

William

hookookadoo
12-28-2007, 08:26 AM
Giordana is Giorgio Andretta's daughters name. Giorgio owns Gita Bike, the company that designs and manufactures the clothing line and (many moons ago) frames. Go to the company's website www.Gitabike.com to get a phone number or email address and contact the company. I bet they will give you some history on the frame. It is a relatively small operation and Giorgio is still the owner. All based out of Charlotte NC. If I am not mistaken they have the exclusive US distribution rights for Pinarello, Pegoretti, Opera & Eddy Merck's frames. If I have that wrong they definitely have exclusive rights to the southeast. Good luck!

SWorks4me
12-28-2007, 08:40 AM
[/jedi mind trick] your friend does not want this bike. you want to give me the name of the seller.[/end jedi mind trick]

SpeedyChix
12-28-2007, 08:43 AM
been here before

designed by pegoretti

built (about a 90& chance) by billlato

a very nice early-90s steel bike

It has the same rear brake bridge (and other touches) as other Billato builds I've seen.

Dr. Doofus
12-28-2007, 09:00 AM
It has the same rear brake bridge (and other touches) as other Billato builds I've seen.

also the bb shell -- with the "W" on it. e-ritchie pointed out to me what maker of frame bits that is, but billato was using them for the giordanas.

they're really nice bikes for trad lugged steel built with 90s pipes. i would love an XL-ECO or even Strada in a 57 cm...but I have no use for three road bikes, and I wouldn't be so foolish as to parts out my Pacenti to build up a nostalgia machine. it was the only bike i ever finished in the top 3 on, so i have a soft spot for em.

The XL-ECO that I had in '94 as a club "team" bike was, along with the Doof-fabled SLX Marinoni, one of the three best handling bikes I ever rode (the Pacenti and the Rock Lobster tie for #1) Descended like a mofo. I would happliy race one now.

a closeout frame from gita (they still have those things lying around), a new fork from cpg (there were some fork failures on the later bikes, so now the remaining stock all have these mp carbon things), and you have yourself a fine bike for about 850 bucks.

amator
12-28-2007, 09:12 AM
The seller is asking $450 for the package.

NO BRAINER...was it the cheapish price that is holding your friend back?
There is someone asking $4k for a Giordana, keyword being asking....

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=37948

Big Dan
12-28-2007, 09:25 AM
That is a 400 bike.

rwsaunders
12-28-2007, 09:49 AM
[/jedi mind trick] your friend does not want this bike. you want to give me the name of the seller.[/end jedi mind trick]

An email has been sent to you with contact info as my friend has turned it down. CL does a nice job of keeping the seller faceless, but I recognized the name from his response to the inquiries. The seller is a local cyclist who rides a nice older Waterford. I've sold some cycling gear to him in the past and he's a decent guy to deal with. Best of luck.

GoJavs
12-28-2007, 09:51 AM
I agree with Big Dan. $400-500. A nice bike, but nothing to get overly excited about.

Honestly, I don't understand how old bikes are generating the cash they do nowadays. Glad I'm out of the market.

Dr. Doofus
12-28-2007, 09:53 AM
I agree with Big Dan. $400-500. A nice bike, but nothing to get overly excited about.

Honestly, I don't understand how old bikes are generating the cash they do nowadays. Glad I'm out of the market.

agreed. its an old bike. i would get a little juiced about a NOS one, because how many nice new lugged frames are out there for under a grand? but one that's BUB* for 15 years? not so juicy.

*Been Under Butt

SWorks4me
12-28-2007, 10:00 AM
*Been Under Butt

that's exactly why it's JUICY

Dr. Doofus
12-28-2007, 10:04 AM
that's exactly why it's JUICY

no

you confuse juice

with bacon grease

maunahaole
12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
or perhaps penguin grease.

The bigger issue is probably how much abuse it has seen - in the pics, it looks pretty clean and low mileage. If it has been ridden 200 miles a week for 15 years, that's a whole lot different than sitting in the basement for 15 years.

SimonC
12-28-2007, 05:12 PM
I'll take a contrarian perspective on this, but I'm surprised by how little many older bikes make. For the price we're talking about for a reasonbly-specced full bike you could buy a high-end chainset, or perhaps a Joe Bell repaint in the style of the bike under discussion. In that context, is a complete bike (and one which should give many thousands of miles of riding pleasure) not reasonable deal? Even if it's not just about the engine, most people like to have at least one beater or hack bike.

csm
12-28-2007, 06:20 PM
I have one of the Polaris frames. It was slx. I am thinking of building it up as another bike.

GoJavs
12-28-2007, 06:25 PM
I'll take a contrarian perspective on this, but I'm surprised by how little many older bikes make. For the price we're talking about for a reasonbly-specced full bike you could buy a high-end chainset, or perhaps a Joe Bell repaint in the style of the bike under discussion. In that context, is a complete bike (and one which should give many thousands of miles of riding pleasure) not reasonable deal? Even if it's not just about the engine, most people like to have at least one beater or hack bike.

---
I used to think like that until I ended up with 15 half-good, half-hacks all over the house. Now, I've cut back and try to concentrate on fully functional bikes with quality newer parts. A matter of preference I guess.

Elefantino
12-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Did this bike ever sell for $450? If not, somebody send me the link so I can tell my brother-in-law, who wants to find one.

vaxn8r
12-29-2007, 07:03 PM
I've given away better bikes than that. Nothing wrong with the bike but there is no market for it. I find it easier to give away than to sell for $500 and take a half day to pack and ship it and then PayPal fees.