PDA

View Full Version : Way OT: wine question

tv_vt
12-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Any of you know anything about this wine?
Joseph Drouhin Pommard-Epenots, 1985.

French red burgundy. Wine-loving relative gave wife and me a bottle and we'd like to learn more about it before opening. Think I saw one site where it mentioned it being 'old,' so maybe it's past it's prime.

Thanks,

Thom

SadieKate
12-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Was the wine in the relative's cellar and they just passed it on to you or was it purchased recently? On other words, did the relative know if this wine was known to hold for 20+ years?

Just asking because I had to throw out a boatload of wine recently because we hadn't kept up on our consumption. Absolutely pitiful waste.

flux
12-27-2007, 05:09 PM
nothing useful to say except this is my new favorite.

Cheers,
Justin

Kurt
12-27-2007, 05:57 PM
don't know anything about that specific wine, but 85 in burgs was above average to excellent and its ready to drink, not past its prime unless it was stored bad. wine searcher does not have anything on it, so I would think its not a big deal 1st cru or anything that special, a 96 that rates similar to the 85 vintage is about $45 bucks. pop that puppy, burgs are good with cheese, duck, etc - not a big steak wine. when you remove the foil it will tell you how it was stored, if there is any leakage, etc

Steve Hampsten
12-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Parker calls it "old" and gives it about an 89 - I would go with what Kurt says and drink it soonish. Let it breathe in a decanter for maybe an hour but not too long.

Wines are like bikes - they don't always improve with age, after a point.

Enjoy!

djg
12-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I don't know the particular wine, although the family are good Burgundy producers. 1985 was supposed to be a terrific year, and the Pommards might age better than some, but it's a while back now and I don't think I've had a Burgundy that old for some time. It's already been pointed out that Parker considers this a bit on the old side -- I wouldn't panic, especially if it's been stored properly, but I'd look for a good opportunity to drink it sooner, rather than later. It might well be lovely. If not, it might be fine in any case. It might ... well, you'll see, right?

steelrider
12-27-2007, 07:08 PM
nothing useful to say except this is my new favorite.

Cheers,
Justin

+1. Actually, I'm not familiar with this label, however Malbec is awesome. If you like big reds--try it out. Particularly good with beef and other roasted or grilled meats.

jemoryl
12-27-2007, 08:33 PM
If it was stored properly it could be pretty good, given that '85 was at least an ok year in Burgundy and that Drouhin is a reliable producer. Epenots is a good premier cru vineyard in the town of Pommard. Pinot Noir is a fickle grape and the wines, even when properly made, are easily damaged by excessive heat, etc. Only one way to find out how good it will be......

RIHans
12-28-2007, 01:27 AM
If it was stored properly it could be pretty good, given that '85 was at least an ok year in Burgundy and that Drouhin is a reliable producer. Epenots is a good premier cru vineyard in the town of Pommard. Pinot Noir is a fickle grape and the wines, even when properly made, are easily damaged by excessive heat, etc. Only one way to find out how good it will be......

I've enjoyed a few Drouhin Burgundys...1/1/08...Pull the cork.

Ozz
12-28-2007, 10:56 AM
when discussing older wines, I always think of the scene in "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" where Michael Caine is taking Steve Martin thru his wine cellar...

"When are you going to drink all of these?"

"Oh, they are far to valuable to drink"

"So you are going to sell them?"

"I could never part with them...."
Or something like that....

There is only one way to know if it is still good...pull the cork. Have a back up bottle(s) nearby of which you know is good!

:beer:

capybaras
12-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Any of you know anything about this wine?
Joseph Drouhin Pommard-Epenots, 1985.

French red burgundy. Wine-loving relative gave wife and me a bottle and we'd like to learn more about it before opening. Think I saw one site where it mentioned it being 'old,' so maybe it's past it's prime.

Thanks,

Thom

That stuff is awesome for cleaning your drive train! You lucky duck!