PDA

View Full Version : Gulp

iml
12-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I just bought a new complete HSG Ti with an Alpha Q GS-10, Ultegra 10, and Ksyrium Equipes for $1,850. All brand new. Wow. I'll strip the bike and use the Ultegra stuff and wheels for my wife's 'cross bikes.

I've been racing an Anvil steel frame since 2002. It's a 57.7 effective TT, moderately sloping, bad-*** racing frame. I love it, but it's time for a new race rig. I suppose I didn't need a new race bike, but at the price, I felt compelled to act.

Wow.

Viper
12-27-2007, 02:09 PM
This thread is wortless without pics or stories of the slave version of Princess Leia. :)

BumbleBeeDave
12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
. . . there are any more to be had for that price? . . .

And I don't suppose . . . you're going to tell use where WE could buy them? . . . :rolleyes: :crap:

BBD

shinomaster
12-27-2007, 02:20 PM
I just bought a new complete HSG Ti with an Alpha Q GS-10, Ultegra 10, and Ksyrium Equipes for $1,850. All brand new. Wow. I'll strip the bike and use the Ultegra stuff and wheels for my wife's 'cross bikes.

I've been racing an Anvil steel frame since 2002. It's a 57.7 effective TT, moderately sloping, bad-*** racing frame. I love it, but it's time for a new race rig. I suppose I didn't need a new race bike, but at the price, I felt compelled to act.

Wow.

Did you buy it on the street from a crack dealer? ***?

Steelhead
12-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Have their been any recent break ins at your LBS/Serotta Dealer? Sounds too good to be true to me. The retail value of the group alone is worth that. Yikes.

iml
12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Have their been any recent break ins at your LBS/Serotta Dealer? Sounds too good to be true to me. The retail value of the group alone is worth that. Yikes.

I thought the same. Ebay. The seller seems reputable (over 8000 feedback responses, over 99% positive, titanium power seller, blah blah), and my more ebay-savvy mates vetted the guy, so I'm reasonably confident it's legitimate. Seems like a professional operation, in the positive sense of the term.

I occasionally lurk here, but I'd never seriously considered a Serotta. I'm probably the type of guy Serotta imagined marketing this frame to: a racer who appreciates quality bikes and doesn't usually like the cheapo pro deal stuff. Their carbon stuff is a bit too fluffy for my taste (and costs more than I want to spend for a race machine). And yeah, I suppose I've associated Serotta with the club ride, helmet-mirrored set...if I can say that without being a jerk.

The HSG Ti, on the other hand, just grabbed me as a great race bike (especially at that price) that I can use for years. I saw the ad last night, slept on it, and worried I'd kick myself if I passed. There'd been some bidding, but the Buy it Now impulse hit, so I did.

I'll post photos once I get it and it's properly outfitted. It's blue, by the way. Of course, if I'm an idiot and it turns out to be a fraud, I'll post that too...

cadence231
12-27-2007, 04:54 PM
http://starwars.ugo.com/images/girls/starwars_carriefisher/starwars_carriefisher_3.jpg

djg
12-27-2007, 07:16 PM
Jeeze, that's a killer deal.

I suppose it might be a dealer moving out NOS. When Serotta discontinued the HSG Ti they sold some off that were posted here on the board at steep discounts, and I think that some dealers had some of the frames and bikes here and on e-bay at very good discounts. Maybe a dealer was clearing out a bike that had been built up as a demo, but either not ridden or not ridden much at all? I have no idea about your particular bike, just guessing. In any case, that's a great deal on a great bike -- enjoy it. I've really been liking mine.

Lifelover
12-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Seems Legit!

EBAY HSG (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2007-Serotta-HSG-Ti-Carbon-58cm-Shimano-Ultegra-10_W0QQitemZ140192065376QQihZ004QQcategoryZ98084QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Good Buy

iml
12-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Oh man. Huge bummer for me, but perhaps a boon for someone else here: the bike is a 56, not the 58 I needed. It was advertised as a 58. The seller listed measurements, which looked a bit off, but I hoped they didn't know how to measure a bike. Stupid on my part. In addition, there's a tag hanging from the bar in a photo that says "56," which I didn't notice until after I committed to buy.

So...I expect there will be a new 56cm HSG Ti re-listed on ebay soon. Keep your eyes open. Pity for me.

In fairness, the seller seems professional, responsive, and apologetic.