PDA

View Full Version : 4 years later...it is finished

Dave B
12-27-2007, 08:01 AM
Website says it took them 4 years to get a production version.

Boy price is steep, but at least install will be a heck of a lot easier!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/dnjbradley/Moots%20bikes/mootspost.jpg

DarrenCT
12-27-2007, 08:07 AM
thats a lot of wasted time for a silly seatpost if u ask me

sg8357
12-27-2007, 08:08 AM
They should have called Nitto, the finish would be better too.

stevep
12-27-2007, 08:12 AM
hey, nice work
they just declared the big dig in boston finished too.

coincidence?

Dave B
12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
hey, nice work
they just declared the big dig in boston finished too.

coincidence?

I think it was planned, that way the axis of innovation on opposite sides of the country would balance tings out!

If you do like the Moots post, trust me this makes installing one loads easier!

No more scratches and gouges as you try to figure it out!

Dave B
12-27-2007, 08:17 AM
They should have asked Poppa Moots and he would have helped them a wee bit sooner...and with a bit more pizazz!

http://www.kenteriksen.com/more_components.html

dave thompson
12-27-2007, 08:45 AM
They should have asked Poppa Moots and he would have helped them a wee bit sooner...and with a bit more pizazz!

http://www.kenteriksen.com/more_components.html
Agreed. Kent's seat post is simplistically elegant and very easy to set up.

slowgoing
12-27-2007, 10:01 AM
I love the bend of the Moots posts. But that clamp was a disaster. You needed about three hands with pliers or a screwdriver in each to either mount or take off a saddle.

gt6267a
12-27-2007, 10:19 AM
i had a wicked hard time getting a seat off and another one on with the first moots post. in the process of almost stabbing myself with a screwdriver about 100 times, i finally figured it out and it was not that bad the second time. i think what happens is that the first on and off is such a struggle no one tries it again to find how much easier it is the second time around.

that said, i still prefer a rocking two bold design like a thomson to any of these unscrew, rotate, rescrew designs. the ability for fine tuning seems so much higher with a thomson-like setup i don't feel much of a tug to pay four times the cost for what seems inferior.

Dave B
12-27-2007, 10:25 AM
there are tricks for sure.

I have done about 50 installs of varying saddles. Brooks, wtb, etc.

Use their (Moots) cal van spreader and it is a lot easier. Hold the post upside down and allow the top clamp to rest on the top part of the clamp.

Spread the clamp apart, using what ever method you choose and slide the bottom clamp on.

Anyway it does get easier the more you try.

Well, who cares now, they have updated it now haven't they!

pdxmech13
12-27-2007, 02:44 PM
thanks control tech for that amazing clamp atmo

"the old design" :crap:

Steve Hampsten
12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
thanks control tech for that amazing clamp atmo

Really? I heard that Moots is working on getting a patent.

It's a pretty amazing design when you take it apart and see how it's done - it's not rocket science but having both normal and reverse-threaded threads are not the first thing you would think of, either. It has two separate adjusting modes; one uses a 5mm, the other a 6mm. If you like to mess with your saddle it's great, otherwise it may be overkill.

Spreader pliers and a saint-like patience are the keys to the old post. Kent's post is set it and forget it.

benb
12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
How is this different then the horrid Special Ed post?

cpg
12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Why are they bent on bending the stupid thing? They could get the same offset by just mitering the post off axis. Now that would be be the perfect blend of traditional looks (straight post with offset head) and the new look that well looks new. Opportunity missed but what would I know.

Curt

Dave B
12-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Why are they bent on bending the stupid thing? They could get the same offset by just mitering the post off axis. Now that would be be the perfect blend of traditional looks (straight post with offset head) and the new look that well looks new. Opportunity missed but what would I know.

Curt

The way they bend it gives a natural and small amount of give, causing the post to absorb a wee bit more vibration. Natural suspension of Ti if you will.

Plus aesthetically it looks fantastic!

cpg
12-27-2007, 04:30 PM
The way they bend it gives a natural and small amount of give, causing the post to absorb a wee bit more vibration. Natural suspension of Ti if you will.

Plus aesthetically it looks fantastic!

You are joking right? Not about the aesthetics but the give bit.

Curt

Dave B
12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
You are joking right? Not about the aesthetics but the give bit.

Curt

Nope very comfy posts.

cpg
12-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Nope very comfy posts.

So you can tell what kind of post you're riding by feel? If it was a blind test say between a DA, Nitto and Moots posts you could feel a difference? Would you like to wager a bet?

Curt

dave thompson
12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
When I had the Eriksen post on my Spectrum (lotsa post showing) it felt to me that the post had a little 'give' to it that I hadn't felt with other posts I had on the same bike.

Dave B
12-27-2007, 06:10 PM
So you can tell what kind of post you're riding by feel? If it was a blind test say between a DA, Nitto and Moots posts you could feel a difference? Would you like to wager a bet?

Curt

That is their deal, whether or not people buy into it is up to them.

I can see how a fatso like me could flex it, but maybe my arse is just that much better then yours.

Plus, I am not selling them, I am just regurgitating info I have read.

I do think a rider who is very in tune with his/her bike would be able to tell.

Ahneida Ride
12-27-2007, 06:39 PM
How much frn? ;)

jthurow
12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
How much frn? ;)
$218ish (http://aebike.com/page.cfm?action=details&PageID=30&SKU=ST1819)

jimi