PDA

View Full Version : Shimming cleats for leg/length probs?

CarlosContreros
12-26-2007, 11:33 PM
I've been trying to deal with a leg-length discrepancy of 1/2" for 10 years
now and I've finally reached the realization that maybe I should "shim".

I always fought it 'cause the difference is in my femur....my tibia is the same
length on both legs.
It always seemed to me that if the diff was in the tibia then the problem could easily be corrected by shimming..but the femur is a different animal
in that you are then lengthening the tibia....which then has an "effect" at
the top of the stroke!

Does shimming work? Is it recommended by Serotta fitters?
And just what effect(probably negative) does it have when standing
to sprint...in that your foot is now an added distance from the pedal-spindle?

With a 37.30" inseam you would think a 1/2" could be ignored...but everytime I ride I know there's a problem with that leg..and of course
the saddle sores I get on the short-leg side are a nuisance!

ps....what are the best shims??

thank you!

soulspinner
12-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Had a friend custom machine alu spacers for my look cleats. Works great. PM me if you want more info or after the holidays I could send you an example...

Dr. Doofus
12-27-2007, 07:26 AM
my right femur is about 1.5cm shorter than my left

i put my cleats futher back on my left shoe

my saddle points left maybe a degree or so to give my right leg more room to extend and prevent chafing on that side

works for me

i tried a shim about ten years ago and hated it

sjbraun
12-27-2007, 07:31 AM
Bill Peterson, of Foot Fitness in Tucson made some orthotics for me last Fall. In addition to correcting for a ridiculously high arch, the orthotics compensated for a significant leg length discrepancy.

I'm very happy with the results. My pals immediately noticed a smoother pedal stroke after the orthotics arrived.

Bill works with at least a few fitters around the country, so even if you can't get to Tucson, you might have the opportunity to benefit from his work.

He's kept lots of pros in happy feet, Hincapie, Leipheimer, Julich

His website is http://www.wedofeet.com/

Too Tall
12-27-2007, 07:33 AM
I've been trying to deal with a leg-length discrepancy of 1/2" for 10 years
now and I've finally reached the realization that maybe I should "shim".

I always fought it 'cause the difference is in my femur....my tibia is the same
length on both legs.
It always seemed to me that if the diff was in the tibia then the problem could easily be corrected by shimming..but the femur is a different animal
in that you are then lengthening the tibia....which then has an "effect" at
the top of the stroke!

Does shimming work? Is it recommended by Serotta fitters?
And just what effect(probably negative) does it have when standing
to sprint...in that your foot is now an added distance from the pedal-spindle?

With a 37.30" inseam you would think a 1/2" could be ignored...but everytime I ride I know there's a problem with that leg..and of course
the saddle sores I get on the short-leg side are a nuisance!

ps....what are the best shims??

thank you!

I got some guidance on this many yrs. ago and this seems to work for upper leg length diff.s in the range you indicated. If the discrepency is in the upper leg adjust the fore /aft positioning. Move the cleat forward on the short(er) leg and back on the long(er) leg. Total amt you move the two cleats combined should = half the leg length discrepency.

Dave B
12-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I tried the Lemond wedges to help correct a similar weakness in my pedal stroke and they did a nice job. I do not know if they would work for you, but my right knee was making a small figure 8 at the top of my pedals stroke.

The wedges helped.

:beer:

dekindy
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Try a longer crankarm for the shorter leg or a shorter crankarm for the longer leg and keep shimming to a minimum. It is not required to have the same length crankarm on both legs if both legs are not the same length.

CarlosContreros
12-27-2007, 06:47 PM
my right femur is about 1.5cm shorter than my left

i put my cleats futher back on my left shoe

my saddle points left maybe a degree or so to give my right leg more room to extend and prevent chafing on that side

works for me

i tried a shim about ten years ago and hated it

This sounds the best to me...you and myself are basically in the "same-boat"!

I have to admit...I tried shimming once a long time ago...and there was a definite "hitch" in my "giddy-up" when my short/shimmed leg came to it's highest point of the cycle rotation. :confused:

Being the femur...you are just lengthening the tibia by shimming(I have a revelation)..and I see what you're doing Doc...you are shortening the long femur by adjusting the fore/aft!! :)

I'm going to adjust and try for sure....but do you then lower the saddle height 'cause you're moving(and shortening) your left leg?

And if I move my cleat back 2-3mm...how much would you lower the saddle?
2mm?

Dr. Doofus
12-27-2007, 06:57 PM
This sounds the best to me...you and myself are basically in the "same-boat"!

I have to admit...I tried shimming once a long time ago...and there was a definite "hitch" in my "giddy-up" when my short/shimmed leg came to it's highest point of the cycle rotation. :confused:

Being the femur...you are just lengthening the tibia by shimming(I have a revelation)..and I see what you're doing Doc...you are shortening the long femur by adjusting the fore/aft!! :)

I'm going to adjust and try for sure....but do you then lower the saddle height 'cause you're moving(and shortening) your left leg?

And if I move my cleat back 2-3mm...how much would you lower the saddle?
2mm?

i just moved the saddle down a bit until it felt good

i'm a heel-dropper, so the low saddle felt good

i'm 33 degrees on my long leg, 29 on my short

a fitter would have a field day with this, but:

sometimes you just gotta move it around until it feels right

Peter P.
12-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Read Andy Pruitt's book. Tremendously thorough reference for addressing all sorts of bike set up problems. For a femur based LLD, he recommends making half the adjustment (in your case, 1/8') in the cleat fore/aft, and the other half in the cleat height (shimming). The total should equal 1/2 your LLD or in your case, 1/4".

P.S. Your crotch problems could be due to your seat being too far forward/rearward, causing slight movement on the saddle during the stroke. That was my case. I did the KOPS thing as recommended in Andy's book, problem solved.

Fixed
12-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Try a longer crankarm for the shorter leg or a shorter crankarm for the longer leg and keep shimming to a minimum. It is not required to have the same length crankarm on both legs if both legs are not the same length.good idea
cheers imho :beer: