PDA

View Full Version : Calling the gadget geeks - Spot GPS

SadieKate
12-26-2007, 08:02 PM
What do you know about Spot (http://www.findmespot.com/default.aspx), "the world's first satellite messenger"? Pros? Cons? Competitors?

I like to ride by myself at times and this would make my hubby so much happier. It would be me happier. It would make us both happier when we're mountainbiking together in the back of beyond.

Anyone know anything?

Blue Jays
12-26-2007, 08:26 PM
SadieKate, based on your descriptions and assessment of your personal approach to security, it sounds like it would be a very reasonable investment for you and your spouse.
If you are riding alone in fairly remote areas it is only a penalty of a few ounces of plastic and electronics. At the same time, try to find a riding partner when venturing off into the woods since a mechanical breakdown can happen anyplace! :)

SadieKate
12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I know all that stuff. I call it "The Rescue Index" and don't ride when it is ZERO. :) Ideally, one also only mountain bikes in groups of 3 or more but that isn't always realistically possible.

So, do you know anything about the reliability or actual functionality of this product? I only heard of it today because of a TV advertisement, therefore, all I know is marketing hype.

LONE RIDER
12-27-2007, 12:39 AM
I got one about a month ago for much the same reasons you mentioned. Both of my riding buddies have managed to hurt themselves this winter and I am doing my night MTB rides solo. I found myself being prudent and not taking the more techinical single tracks on my trips down. So.... I got one and it works great. I spent the extra $$ and got the tracking option and this allows my wife (an ER doc who works about 7 night shifts a month) to check my progress as I ride. She is now able to call me as I drive home and tell me where I was! This last weekend I did a solo road ride and took it with me for the heck of it and while it seemed bulky in my hand I didn't notice it in my jersey pocket. As soon as I got home I went online and my tracking info was ready to download (the downloads are the same quality as they show on their website - I was skeptical of this before I bought mine but so far what they advertise is what you get). When this product became available I didn't do an exhaustive search for others like it but based on past research it seems the other products are cell phone based and while this is great for cars it is not so good in the back country. Also the other products I looked at were in the $400-600 range. The SPOT has global satellite coverage from nearly anywhere and pretty much everywhere I would ride. The downloads are quick and the Google maps are just what you would expect - in fact it seems you can zoom in closer with the SPOT/Google map than on Google earth. I got mine at REI for $135 and then paid $149 for the one year activation. I might mention I have tested the "Check-in" feature and it works as advertised but keep in mind that the recieving party must check their e-mail or phone messages for it to be effective. Peace of mind for me, peace of mind for my wife and life is good again. I hope this helps in your decision.

Blue Jays
12-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Nice review. Solo mountainbiking at night makes it money very well spent opting for all available features.

SadieKate
12-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Lone Rider - great review! Thank you so much. That says it all.

Couple of things:
-- May I quote your review over on bikejournal.com? A couple of guys are pontificating that it uses cell phone technology without providing their source of info. Everything I have found says sat so knowing that you had coverage where cell phones don't is a good thing and supports what I am finding in the reviews.

-- Also, we drive by car many places where cell phone coverage is non-existant so it could be great for car travel also.

jobob
12-27-2007, 07:19 PM
My thanks as well for the excellent review, Lone Rider !

I live in the San Franscisco Bay area, and you'd think there'd be extensive cell phone coverage there, but once you get into even slightly remote areas, notsomuch. Since I ride by myself a lot, this would be good to have.

- Jo.

SadieKate
12-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Oh my. She comes out of lurkdom at last . . . :D

medici
12-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Here are 3 reviews (and there's a 4th coming shortly) on Backpackgeartest.org. These guys do a pretty thorough job.

http://tinyurl.com/2navqy

Pete

SadieKate
01-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Thanks, Pete.

This review is in my local paper today.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080102/SPORTS0411/801020311

I guess I should get one before they're backordered from now until forever.

Tom
01-02-2008, 01:48 PM
I know a couple very experienced sailors that won't allow any crew on their boat that can't use a sextant.

For mountaineering, at least, that guy Speik is right. It's another arrow in the quiver but preparation's good, too.

For riding, I think it's pretty cool. This kind of thing is the only reason we have cell phones in my house.

SadieKate
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
The only item on Speik's list that is optional for us on mtb outings is the two-way radio. Once again, it's a line of site and distance issue. We'll pick-up the security crew chatter at a shopping mall miles away but can't talk to a companion on the trail only 300 ft away. Stupid trees . . . .

Depending on how strung out our group is getting, we just stop frequently and count noses.