PDA

View Full Version : fork vs headset

amator
12-26-2007, 07:21 PM
stemming from the carbon vs steel fork discussion, twas noted that a headset can make more of a diffrence than a change in fork .. or rather, a well functioning headset can make or break the handling and ride charcteristics more than the fork. Can these subtle differences be easily discerned with changes of headsets...

Do most of you agree?

Apart from the highly revered CK, what are good alternatives for
1) modern 1 1/8 threadless (non integrated)
2) 1 inch threaded (silver retro looking
what looked good but didnt last or were problematic.

Big Dan
12-26-2007, 07:25 PM
:p

e-RICHIE
12-26-2007, 07:25 PM
stemming from the carbon vs steel fork discussion, twas noted that a headset can make more of a diffrence than a change in fork .. or rather, a well functioning headset can make or break the handling and ride charcteristics more than the fork. Can these subtle differences be easily discerned with changes of headsets...

Do most of you agree?
if a fork isn't handling well, i have a hard time seeing
howa headset switch can extinguish the problem atmo.

Fixed
12-26-2007, 07:26 PM
:p
yeah bro

DarrenCT
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
is this a joke?

e-RICHIE
12-26-2007, 07:35 PM
is this a joke?
but if you had to choose...
the fork or the headset atmo?

DarrenCT
12-26-2007, 07:36 PM
but if you had to choose...
the fork or the headset atmo?

the freakin fork

justinf
12-26-2007, 07:38 PM
freaks

J.Greene
12-26-2007, 07:42 PM
go back and reread. stevo said it was the paint not the hs

JG

Peter P.
12-26-2007, 07:43 PM
a well functioning headset can make or break the handling and ride charcteristics more than the fork. Can these subtle differences be easily discerned with changes of headsets...

Do most of you agree?

It's not THAT much of a factor, but it can be annoying. Once, I installed a Stronglight tapered roller bearing headset in my steel, Trek road frame. It originally came with a ball bearing headset who's brand I forget. The lower stack height of the Stronglight was taller than the original. The result was a feeling of the wheel wanting to flop over when leaning into turns. It was subtle but nevertheless, real enough that I had to change it out to another ball bearing headset. Problem disappeared. The difference was about 4mm.

However, my custom sport touring bike was spec'd with a Stronglight tapered roller bearing headset. Since it exhibits none of those annoying symptoms, I can only assume the builder considered the headset's lower stack height when designing the rest of the frame.

I've currently got a 1" threaded Shimano Deore LX in that Trek. It's worked like a champ for about 10 years.

rphetteplace
12-26-2007, 07:44 PM
The real question is to Sachs handle better due to their integrated headsets or their carbon seatstays???????/

Fixed
12-26-2007, 07:47 PM
the alum : ashtray imho

dave thompson
12-26-2007, 07:53 PM

Do most of you agree?

Handing characteristics: only if the headset is bad. Ride characteristics: :confused: I've never read/heard/seen any references to how a headset can affect that. Is this a serious question?

e-RICHIE
12-26-2007, 07:56 PM
The real question is to Sachs handle better due to their integrated headsets or their carbon seatstays???????/
i'm all for integration atmo but i
rued the day peddie went coed.

fiamme red
12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
rued the day peddie went coed.You can't go home again.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/3233045.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=9724400E855F926334B38384546209A8A55A1E4F32AD3138

michael white
12-26-2007, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE=e-RICHIE]i'm all for integration atmo but i
rued the day peddie went coed.[/QUOTE

what does this have to do with the dreaded front end shimmy, anyway?

e-RICHIE
12-26-2007, 08:25 PM
rued the day peddie went coed
what does this have to do with the dreaded front end shimmy, anyway?
please get the mods to extinguish this thread atmo.

DarrenCT
12-26-2007, 08:27 PM

they are on vacation it seems....

merckx
12-26-2007, 08:37 PM

Do most of you agree?

tis the dead of winter, eh?

amator
12-26-2007, 09:11 PM
Handing characteristics: only if the headset is bad. Ride characteristics: :confused: I've never read/heard/seen any references to how a headset can affect that. Is this a serious question?

Id thought it was. Some people (David Kirk) had said in the forks thread that a good headset makes more of a difference.....

just didnt want to use that thread as many (including) myself have turned it into a pegoretti fetish thread.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32912&page=12&pp=15

dave thompson
12-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Id thought it was. Some people (David Kirk) had said in the forks thread that a good headset makes more of a difference.....

just didnt want to use that thread as many (including) myself have turned it into a pegoretti fetish thread.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32912&page=12&pp=15
Richard's fork are fine but what you re really feeling is the headset. The headset is the key contributor to ride quality. Headsets are all.

Dave

I'm certain Dave had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he wrote that. All too often forum posts get jerked thither and yon in anal examinations of the minutiae of things that don't really matter in the greater scheme of cycling. The old can't see the forest for the trees trick.

amator
12-26-2007, 09:27 PM

Apologies, I studiously re-read the old thread and have read the intended sarcasm and jest in the one liner from Dave Kirk,

Richard's fork are fine but what you re really feeling is the headset. The headset is the key contributor to ride quality. Headsets are all.

Dave

e-RICHIE
12-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Apologies, I studiously re-read the old thread and have read the intended sarcasm and jest in the one liner from Dave Kirk,

Dave
dave needs a splash from the extinguisher atmo.
he's too hot.

amator
12-26-2007, 09:30 PM
[/I]
I suspect Dave had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek when he wrote that.

Yup....Sometimes the search button isnt always helpful especially if you are looking for technical answers with a focus and tunnel vision :rolleyes:

e-RICHIE
12-26-2007, 09:42 PM
Yup....Sometimes the search button isnt always helpful especially if you are looking for technical answers with a focus and tunnel vision :rolleyes:
often the best, most direct path to solving a technical
issue is to call out stevep, aka PucciPedia. pooch goes
back to the six day era at the old garden and not much
escapes him atmo.

amator
12-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Taking this a a slightly diffrent angle, , my train of thoughts so far.....
I need and want an old school look 1 inch threaded silver headset for #2 bike.
I dont think I can afford a new NOS 1 inch threaded or a CK.
I have an old and usedBrev campagnolo on beater bike which seems fine.
LBS advises against removing that as it may not functioning fine after removal and adjustment on #2.

My options are therefore:
1) shimano ultegra (rub off the shimano)
2) stronglight a9 (looks the part but needle bearings can be tricky)

dave thompson
12-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Taking this a a slightly diffrent angle, , my train of thoughts so far.....
I need and want an old school look 1 inch threaded silver headset for #2 bike.
I dont think I can afford a new NOS 1 inch threaded or a CK.
I have an old and usedBrev campagnolo on beater bike which seems fine.
LBS advises against removing that as it may not functioning fine after removal and adjustment on #2.

My options are therefore:
1) shimano ultegra (rub off the shimano)
2) stronglight a9 (looks the part but needle bearings can be tricky)
A quick perusal through one of my QBP catalogs reveals 1" silver threaded headsets by Campy, Chris King, FSA, Ritchey, Shimano and Tange-Seiki.
Plus I'd wager that if you went to most any LBS that's been around more than 5 or so years, they would have one of those headsets in stock.

michael white
12-26-2007, 10:14 PM
if you really want good value, just get the ultegra. it's better for the buck. I use them on two different Italian bikes with old school groups.

Unless you're in some "correct" mindset and enjoy overhauling headsets.

stevep
12-27-2007, 08:18 AM
often the best, most direct path to solving a technical
issue is to call out stevep, aka PucciPedia. pooch goes
back to the six day era at the old garden and not much
escapes him atmo.

on controversial threads...
go back in 24 hours.
if you cannot remember a single thing about it and have to reread the whole thread...skip it, its not that important.

headset.
holds fork, not that important unless its toast...

when it becomes toast sell it on e-bay.
say it came out of a confente and sell it now for $5k.
say it was the only thing you rescued when yr house burned down.
send me a split.
sincerely,
s

e-RICHIE
12-27-2007, 08:22 AM
on controversial threads...
go back in 24 hours.
if you cannot remember a single thing about it and have to reread the whole thread...skip it, its not that important.

headset.
holds fork, not that important unless its toast...

when it becomes toast sell it on e-bay.
say it came out of a confente and sell it now for $5k.
say it was the only thing you rescued when yr house burned down.
send me a split.
sincerely,
s
throw in a harry truman anecdote for credibility atmo.
you were there, right?

stevep
12-27-2007, 08:24 AM
throw in a harry truman anecdote for credibility atmo.
you were there, right?

the buck stops there with an arrow pointing to the vps desk.

like i said,
it came out of a confente and is in perfect shape except the threads are stripped.
make a good key chain .