PDA

View Full Version : question for those who grease their Speedplay pedals

Bob Ross
12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
So I grease my Speedplay pedals according to the tech support document included with every pedal they sell (http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/grease.pdf), to wit:

Instructions for quick and easy pedal maintenance
1. Remove the Grease Port Screw with a #1 Phillips screw driver
2. Insert needle-type grease injector gun into grease port hole.
3. Pump gun slowly while turning pedal body slowly until clean
grease is visible at spindle end of pedal body.
4. Wipe off excess grease and reinstall Grease Port Screw.

...and invariably here's what happens: for the next 6 - 8 weeks, clean grease continues to ooze out of the spindle end of the pedal body! After every ride there's a huge gob of clean grease dripping off the pedal, getting all over the spindle & the bottom of my shoe and often all over the side of my leg.

Any one else experience this?

Am I over-greasing the pedals? Is Speedplay in cahoots with grease manufacturers, trying to get me to use more grease than necessary?

Or are my pedals leaking?

stevep
12-26-2007, 04:32 PM
i dont think you ever have to do this unless you really use them super wet or super dirty.

overgrease for sure.
very little required.

dave thompson
12-26-2007, 04:50 PM
The easiest and less messy way is to take the pedals apart and apply grease where necessary. Some will come out under usage and over time, but not a lot.

thwart
12-26-2007, 06:02 PM
It seems to me that Speedplay is erring on the side of plenty, rather than not quite enough.

Remember the "slow" part of instruction #3---recently injected some Pedro's Syngrease into an X-5 with too much enthusiasm and pushed out a nylon shim from the other end of the bearing assembly, necessitating (of course) a complete disassembly. Cold temp probably played some role in this as well...

Hate it when preventive maintenance breaks things. :crap:

And of course, disassembly required a narrow barrel 9 mm socket---my good ol' Craftsman socket was a little too wide---trip to local hardware store was required.

But now it spins like buttah...

Mike748
12-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Bob, I just greased all three of mine (X1, X2, X3) recently and experienced the same. Also have a problem with the plastic end cap pushing out when I inject the grease. Nevertheless I do it every 2k or so miles. The grease seems to quit oozing out after a few rides and I know its clean.

Ahneida Ride
12-26-2007, 09:39 PM
No problems with the Frogs.

The frogs require a #2 screwdriver I do believe and I use a real grease gun
with a quality injector tip.