PDA

View Full Version : Carbon clinchers

Redturbo
12-26-2007, 03:29 PM
I have been riding a set of 07 reynolds mid v clinchers and finding them to be harsh. Are the dv46c harsh as well? Are most all carbon clinchers like this? My dv46 tubies are stiff but don't beat me up at all.

thanks

swoop
12-26-2007, 03:51 PM
harsh? i don't find them the least bit harsh...
what does harsh mean in your wheel language? tell me of this harsh...

Simon Q
12-26-2007, 03:51 PM
FWIW, I find 404 28/28 clinchers a lot smoother than Fulcrum R1s. That may not be saying much because R1s are hardly a wheel that you would buy for comfort.

Redturbo
12-26-2007, 05:47 PM
harsh? i don't find them the least bit harsh...
what does harsh mean in your wheel language? tell me of this harsh...
I was searching for a word that best described the wheels and harsh came to mind. Harsh meaning to me a 130 lb racer they beat me up on chip seal and longer training rides.

swoop
12-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I was searching for a word that best described the wheels and harsh came to mind. Harsh meaning to me a 130 lb racer they beat me up on chip seal and longer training rides.

i've only got a handful of pounds on ya and spend plenty of time in the snot bubble and finish line drama... and loved mine so much i never put training wheels on.

talk to me about the frame, your position, the tire pressure. i find the wheels to be functionally dialed, predictable, and able to hold the line you put them on and not chatterey, sluggish, and or soft... but to each his own in terms of gear.

i don't get that disc wheel feeling from them but at 145lbs i only do 100psi in back.

i geuss i'm saying are the wheels too stiff or were 'softer' wheels mitigating the frame and the geo.

Climb01742
12-26-2007, 05:55 PM
i find bonty aeolus and mavic carbones to be smoother than most any alu rimmed clincher, especially over bad roads. but that may just be me.

Redturbo
12-26-2007, 05:58 PM
FWIW, I find 404 28/28 clinchers a lot smoother than Fulcrum R1s. That may not be saying much because R1s are hardly a wheel that you would buy for comfort.
I have a set of cosmic carbone clinchers which are one of my fav all time wheels. So I was wondering if it has something to do with the mid v's being all carbon. :confused:

swoop
12-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I have a set of cosmic carbone clinchers which are one of my fav all time wheels. So I was wondering if it has something to do with the mid v's being all carbon. :confused:

nope. i think the dv46c's and the cosmic carbones are similar in ride. the difference being the way cosmics hold momentum. i actually sold my cosmics after a week on the reynolds.. which personally was like... something i could never imagine doing.

but there's only one truth that's real and that's yours (for you).

the reynolds come in spoke count options.

Redturbo
12-26-2007, 06:10 PM
nope. i think the dv46c's and the cosmic carbones are similar in ride. the difference being the way cosmics hold momentum. i actually sold my cosmics after a week on the reynolds.. which personally was like... something i could never imagine doing.

but there's only one truth that's real and that's yours (for you).

the reynolds come in spoke count options.

My reynolds are the 32mm clinchers 20/24. My dv46 tubulars are great wheels, more like the carbones.

Climb I hear the bontys are very much like the mavics as well.

Blue Jays
12-26-2007, 06:28 PM
I've got a pair of the Campagnolo Hyperon Clincher Ultra wheels on which I'm running full-titanium 11-23 Campagnolo cassettes and the whole arrangement is smooth like butter!

They accelerate extremely well, stop moderately hard (although not as well as rubber pads on aluminum), stay true, are extremely durable for everyday riding, and have the very slick hidden spoke nipples. What is not to love about them? The best part is the energy saved by use of the ceramic bearings is equivalent in static weight to carrying an extra full waterbottle! Truly nice stuff if you're considering carbon wheel alternatives.

jmewkill
12-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Harsh like the several pairs of 32h ambrosio nemesis tubulars I have?

Oh - never mind, I'm thinking of something else.

GBD
12-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Been riding Campy Hyperon clincher Ultras with Veloflex Black tires @ 105 PSI. Very smooth ride. (Rider's weight is 200 Lb.)

Almost as plush as my Campy Boras with Veloflex Carbon tubies.

So even if you have a great set of wheels, if you inflate the tires to 150-175 PSI as I see people do, thinking they will ride faster, they are making a foolish mistake, and cannot not enjoy the ride.

swoop
12-27-2007, 07:50 PM
to note. i'll be selling my bontrager carbon xxx-lite... whatever they're called soon. they put the ush in plush. campy hub. excellent condition. new front rim, factory built.

keep your eye out in the classifieds... look for them to be in the low $1k's.

Redturbo
12-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Been riding Campy Hyperon clincher Ultras with Veloflex Black tires @ 105 PSI. Very smooth ride. (Rider's weight is 200 Lb.)

Almost as plush as my Campy Boras with Veloflex Carbon tubies.

So even if you have a great set of wheels, if you inflate the tires to 150-175 PSI as I see people do, thinking they will ride faster, they are making a foolish mistake, and cannot not enjoy the ride.

I played with tire pressures from 95 to 110. Tried them on a c50, marcelo and a parlee with the same results. They just appear to not be to my liking.

swoop
12-27-2007, 08:53 PM
I played with tire pressures from 95 to 110. Tried them on a c50, marcelo and a parlee with the same results. They just appear to not be to my liking.

i hate pickles. my people have a genetic love of pickles. its all good.

DarrenCT
12-27-2007, 08:54 PM
i hate pickles. my people have a genetic love of pickles. its all good.

fyi,

pickles + ham + mustard = top notch sandwich

Redturbo
12-27-2007, 09:00 PM
big cold dill pickle after a hard hot ride, yummy! must be the salt.

Darrell
12-28-2007, 02:21 AM
Do you chaps do enough real riding?