PDA

View Full Version : More rides I want to do next year...

Tom
12-26-2007, 12:28 PM
- The locals are doing a century ride in August that starts at 5pm. I'm there.

- Two laps of the ADK 540. (They're also doing the century a month thing, generally starting over in Schuylerville. I'm probably not making the 1/6 one but after that it sure is tempting.)

- Dorp to Placid. That could be fun if we had a day or two off.

- The oft stated but never attempted length of Vermont in a day - but Route 100 instead of Route 5 like I originally thought about.

- Another Dorp to the farm run, but by way of Route 9 out of Bennington and then up 100 to Ludlow.

- Oh, yeah, forgot the Highlander. That's a fun one.

- And on that note, a local Highlander west of town. 8 miles flat there, 8 miles flat back but you can do 11000 feet of climbing if you just keep going up and down the same ones enough times. Probably more if you do it right.

The more I sit inside and think about it, I realize the more I like the really (for me) long days. Cat 5 races are fine, but they're too short, too intense and besides, I suck at them. I never liked 5K or 10K races and the running I enjoyed more than any other were the long days training for marathons. Its the same on the bike, what really turns my crank is to get on the bike and just go long.

fiamme red
12-26-2007, 12:53 PM
I was hoping to do John Ceceri's 400 km brevet up to the Adirondacks this year, but he cancelled it. I suppose that he already has too much happening.

I'd like to do the 300 km brevet (I did the 200 two years ago), and maybe the Montreal trip, or the first day of the NYC trip.

Ti Designs
12-26-2007, 01:26 PM
- The oft stated but never attempted length of Vermont in a day - but Route 100 instead of Route 5 like I originally thought about.

I've done Boston MA to Burlington VT in a day. I could see that ride being a total disaster as an open event, but with the right group of riders and good support I would certainly do it again.

I love the idea of a forum ride in the Bear Mountain area of NY. Growing up in New Jersey I would ride in Herriman state park and up Bear Mountain every chance I had.

Last year Barbara and I were the first tandem to do the B2B ride - that's the Harpoon brewery in Boston to the Harpoon brewery in Windsor VT. It's the best run large event I've ever been part of, and there's plenty of beer at the end. This year we're doing it on a much lighter, faster tandem.

Is D2R2 really not ridable on a fixed gear? One of these days I'm gonna find out. There's a test ride up Jefferson notch in the white mountains this spring, steep dirt roads on a fixed gear sound like fun to me (right behind going to the dentist)

Lastly, there's the old tradition of the full moon ride, which has died out as of late. In the past I've loaded up my bike with the makings for smores and taken a group out to some mountain on a full moon night. It's gotten harder to find people willing to start a ride in the dark, follow a loaded mountain tandem up some access road and build a fire without a permit. This year there will be at least 3 full moon rides, now all I need to do is find a gaggle of idiots to follow...

palincss
12-26-2007, 03:06 PM
- The locals are doing a century ride in August that starts at 5pm. I'm there.

- Two laps of the ADK 540. (They're also doing the century a month thing, generally starting over in Schuylerville. I'm probably not making the 1/6 one but after that it sure is tempting.)

- Dorp to Placid. That could be fun if we had a day or two off.

- Another Dorp to the farm run, but by way of Route 9 out of Bennington and then up 100 to Ludlow.

- Oh, yeah, forgot the Highlander. That's a fun one.

- And on that note, a local Highlander west of town. 8 miles flat there, 8 miles flat back but you can do 11000 feet of climbing if you just keep going up and down the same ones enough times. Probably more if you do it right.

The more I sit inside and think about it, I realize the more I like the really (for me) long days. Cat 5 races are fine, but they're too short, too intense and besides, I suck at them. I never liked 5K or 10K races and the running I enjoyed more than any other were the long days training for marathons. Its the same on the bike, what really turns my crank is to get on the bike and just go long.

I think you may be feeling the call of the Dark Side... http://www.rusa.org/

yarg
12-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Ti - Love to see you try D2R2 fixed, I will again do it conventionally, great ride and should be done by all if you can manage to get there.

I am toying with the idea of just dedicating a day each month to do a century. The winter would obviously present its challenges. This is probably the best way for me to improve base miles, stuck at ~2500 for many a year now.

palincss
12-26-2007, 04:57 PM
Ti - Love to see you try D2R2 fixed, I will again do it conventionally, great ride and should be done by all if you can manage to get there.

I am toying with the idea of just dedicating a day each month to do a century. The winter would obviously present its challenges. This is probably the best way for me to improve base miles, stuck at ~2500 for many a year now.

Can you ride to work? I did around 3,000 mi just riding to work this year.

J.Greene
12-26-2007, 05:16 PM
This year there will be at least 3 full moon rides, now all I need to do is find a gaggle of idiots to follow...

i'd do it in a heart beat if i were close. who carries the fire extinguisher?

JG

Fixed
12-26-2007, 06:31 PM
i'm goin to plant city some day imho
cheers :beer: