PDA

View Full Version : Leg and Arm Warmers for Xmas

hookookadoo
12-26-2007, 08:46 AM
I have always been more of a full leg or full top kind of guy, but for xmas I got arm warmers and knee warmers. Anybody use these? Do you like them better than the full pants or full top? I feel like I am going to look like an NBA player with I put them all on...

rePhil
12-26-2007, 08:54 AM
I don't get much cold weather, and it's rarely cold enough on my rides to wear them my whole ride. I like to layer and warmers work for me.

myette10
12-26-2007, 09:11 AM
I have always been more of a full leg or full top kind of guy, but for xmas I got arm warmers and knee warmers. Anybody use these? Do you like them better than the full pants or full top? I feel like I am going to look like an NBA player with I put them all on...
arm and knee warms are #1 and #2 on the list of best cycling inventions ever. Coupled with an appropriate vest, they effectively turn all your summer weather clothing into spring and fall gear. To avoid the Allen Iverson look, do not wear them with basketball shorts.

CNY rider
12-26-2007, 09:23 AM
They're really great for fall and spring commuting as well.

Ride to work on a chilly morning, warmers are enough to keep you toasty. Then when it's warmer in the afternoon you just carry them home in your pack.

Enjoy.

J.Greene
12-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't get much cold weather, and it's rarely cold enough on my rides to wear them my whole ride. I like to layer and warmers work for me.

Agreed, Central FL has very few days where you need to be covered for the full day. Arm and knee warmers are perfect for everything but about 3-4 morning per year.

JG

Blue Jays
12-26-2007, 10:13 AM
They're also great for summer rides that depart before dawn. As soon as the sun comes out, off they come and shoved into your jersey pockets. They're an absolute "must have" for cycling enthusiasts. :)

rwsaunders
12-26-2007, 10:26 AM
They're really great for fall and spring commuting as well.

Ride to work on a chilly morning, warmers are enough to keep you toasty. Then when it's warmer in the afternoon you just carry them home in your pack.

Enjoy.

+1. Great gifts for any level cyclist too. My favorite line from an old post reply by Stevep when discussing how to wear the knee/leg warmers...

over= mega ultra turbo dweeb

under= stylin' euro pro

My normally reserved 14 yo daughter even chuckled at that one. :cool:

Tom
12-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I usually do various thicknesses of tights if it's too cold for just shorts, but the arm warmers are worn all the time because for some reason my arms get cold much more easily.

I even wear them under the heavy jacket in the cold. Arm warmer on the bottom, thick fleece shirt (I really wish I could wear wool without being driven to a frothing, foaming rabid itch) and then the jacket. For some reason, even with a windproof fleece lined jacket over a thick fleece my forearms go numb unless I add the arm warmers. Then they're toasty.

I don't own any long sleeve jerseys. Base layer, arm warmers over it, jersey. Toasty. Then I ride back home quick because I forgot my shorts and the neighbors are talking again.

Sailorma
12-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I wear both, they are great for those rides that start out cold but end warm

CNY rider
12-26-2007, 10:50 AM
:beer: +1. Great gifts for any level cyclist too. My favorite line from an old post reply by Stevep when discussing how to wear the knee/leg warmers...

over= mega ultra turbo dweeb

under= stylin' euro pro

My normally reserved 14 yo daughter even chuckled at that one. :cool:

You know what's really funny is that I had started that thread because I got my first pair of warmers and wasn't sure how to wear them.

Although I probably AM a mega ultra turbo dweeb I certainly don't want to broadcast it to others, so I wear as directed. :beer:

Bruce K
12-26-2007, 10:57 AM
It has been recommended to me to use knee warmers on any ride under 65 degrees to protect the knee joints. I follow that pretty religiously. The only exception would be rides that are starting a little below that and will get warmer.

The ability to strip them off, roll them up, and stick them is a jersey pocket is invaluable, especially in early spring and late fall.

BK

big shanty
12-26-2007, 10:59 AM
To avoid the Allen Iverson look, do not wear them with basketball shorts.

However, it is fine :banana: to wear just one.

rwsaunders
12-26-2007, 11:27 PM
:beer:

You know what's really funny is that I had started that thread because I got my first pair of warmers and wasn't sure how to wear them.

Although I probably AM a mega ultra turbo dweeb I certainly don't want to broadcast it to others, so I wear as directed. :beer:

That's ok. I first sampled boiled peanuts in the shell until the roadside vendor, in a deep Southern accent of course, said to me "I've never seen anyone eat them in that manner, sir." :cool:

swoop
12-26-2007, 11:47 PM
actually.... over is when you put them on when still on the bike... and under is when you put them on before you head out.

over is also for when you want to take them off quick on the bike.

dweeb is none at all in cold weather training rides.

atmo.

DarrenCT
12-27-2007, 01:38 AM

"nba player"

now thats funny bro

my recommendation = just wear knickers

Ozz
12-27-2007, 09:31 AM
arm and knee warms are #1 and #2 on the list of best cycling inventions ever. ....
+1

I received pairs of arm warmers and leg warmers for Xmas...

Sweet. :beer:

dekindy
12-27-2007, 10:54 AM
It has been recommended to me to use knee warmers on any ride under 65 degrees to protect the knee joints. I follow that pretty religiously. The only exception would be rides that are starting a little below that and will get warmer.

The ability to strip them off, roll them up, and stick them is a jersey pocket is invaluable, especially in early spring and late fall.

BK

+1