PDA

View Full Version : CSI Tenth Aniversary Edition

TracyMarks
01-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Can any one educate me on the CSI tenth Aniversary edition, I have a chance to but one but I don't know what is different about this frame and the regular CSI. I do know that the frane was made in 1996 and it is painted in the "Team" paint scheme. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tracy

gt6267a
01-01-2004, 03:22 PM
10th anniv in 1996, that means it was first produced in 1986? I didn't think the CSI came onto the scene until the 90's?

-k

David Kirk
01-01-2004, 03:41 PM
It was the 10th anniversary of the Colorado Concept....not the CSI as a model.

Dave

gt6267a
01-01-2004, 04:34 PM
so, what exactly is the colorado concept?

David Kirk
01-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Good Question....it's the flared and butted tubing that Ben invented.

Dave

vaxn8r
01-01-2004, 06:12 PM
What do you mean Dave? A specific type of tubeset butting? Surely Columbus and Reynolds have had butted tubesets for long before that?

I assumed Colorado referred to the tapered seat tubes, shaped chainstays and bi-tapered seat stays. Am I wrong?

......just guessing.

gt6267a
01-01-2004, 06:34 PM
i am with vaxn8r, i.e. i am still confused.

the colorado concept description is all over the serotta web site, but i see little, read no, description of the concept itself.

tubing manufacturers make all patterns of tubes used by the likes of de rosa, seven, if, colnago ...

what is distinctive and special about the CC tubes?

thanks and regards,
k

David Kirk
01-01-2004, 07:06 PM
The Colo Concept refers to the flared top, down and seat tubes. They were the first available as far as I know.

They were certainly the first flared and butted tubes.

Dave

TracyMarks
01-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the great information, but does anyone know if the 10th. Aniversary Edition is any different that the standard CSI?

dnovo
01-01-2004, 08:39 PM
I believe it was a paint scheme difference only, as were most of the later anniversary CSi models. I assume Dave Kirk or one of the Serotta folk may have more information on this, however. Dave N. (who just dropped out of the bidding on a rather nice, but not particularly fabulous Colorado II on ebay before it went for more than I thought it should bring, particularly where the owner admitted to the overall paint only being a 7.5 on a 10 scale and where a companion CSi, an older model as well, brought almost $1500 with only an average group of components. Ebay prices have been very depressed for the last several months, and I have been able to score some rather nice bikes or frames. Serottas, however, seem to be the exception to this rule and seem to be very strong. Not the worse news in the world for we who own them nor for Serotta as a company. Happy 2004 indeed!)

Wanker
01-01-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm the winning bidder on the 50 cm CSI and I'll hopefully pick it up tomorrow. Doesn't seem to be a bad buy considering the bike is like new. You can't buy a frame like this from Serotta for this price, let alone a complete bike (CSI). Plus it has the steel fork! I'll let you all know what it looks like in person. We're very excited to see how this bike rides. :banana: :banana: :banana:

dnovo
01-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Sorry, I wasn't knocking the bike, I just thought the price was more than I wanted to pay, as I have a CSi already. Of course, I have been told that I overpaid for a whole lot of stuff in my life, so don't let my remarks offend you. They were not intended as such and I am sorry. Good luck with the new bike. If I didn't think that it was really neat, I wouldn't have bid. Just trying to steal it at a lower price. Dave N.

Saxon
01-02-2004, 12:46 AM
That's funny! EPOJoe was going to bid on that CSi also, but it was really too small a frame for him so he wasn't going to stay in the bidding when it got serious. It sure looks like a nice bike! Welcome to the CSi club, Wanker!
Sax
:beer:

Kevin
01-02-2004, 06:12 AM
It sounds like it is time for us to consult with one another before bidding the prices up on e-bay. We could all take turns getting steals on bicycles. We could call it the Serotta Alliance for those of you who watch Sienfeld. Of course the authorities may refer to it as the Serotta Collusion for those of you who watch the baseball free agency market. Do they let you bring your bicycle to prison?

Kevin

Serotta PETE
01-02-2004, 08:40 AM
The 10th Anniversary was a gppd bike for the time and the top end steel bike from Ben in 86".

Key is that it was 1986. It was/is a pretty bike and depending on condition will ride very well. It will not be the lightest out there but will be a "classic." All of us buy the "more mature" (old ) bikes for the memories they bring back, because of how great they look, or/and they meet our budget price point.

It will ride like an exellent bike of the 80s and there is nothing wrong with that. It will not be as light as a new CSI or probably a CIII - BUT it will be different and unique.

Question that needs to be answered (and only you can answer) is why are you considering the purchase. Logic very seldon falls into equation, (Spokes and I can attest to that) I have an early 90s Serotta Coor Team Frame that Spoke's is building up for me. I fell in love with the frame!! Logic????

Good luck on whatever you decide for it was a beautiful bike and represented (in my mind) the "high water? mark for frames built in that era. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Johny
01-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Wanker
I'm the winning bidder on the 50 cm CSI and I'll hopefully pick it up tomorrow. Doesn't seem to be a bad buy considering the bike is like new. You can't buy a frame like this from Serotta for this price, let alone a complete bike (CSI). Plus it has the steel fork! I'll let you all know what it looks like in person. We're very excited to see how this bike rides. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Congratulations Wanker,
Saw this bike on eBay (unfortuntately for me, it is a bit small and I've already got a Concours and a CIII) and thought it is a beauty. I did not follow it but as Dave mentioned it brought about $1500, I think it is a very good deal. Shimano 600 8 speed is a very good group: durable and functional (I still have one on my Cinelli Supercorsa and it still runs beautifully). Let us know how it rides also.

Johny
01-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by dnovo
... Ebay prices have been very depressed for the last several months, and I have been able to score some rather nice bikes or frames. Serottas, however, seem to be the exception to this rule and seem to be very strong. Not the worse news in the world for we who own them nor for Serotta as a company. Happy 2004 indeed!)

Dave,
Hmmm, no wonder the other day when surfing on Ebay, I saw your name all over the place... :p

Last time I saw a bike shop trying to clear their NOS Serotta's: a Legend/Ouzo pro at $1500 and a CSi/f1 at $1200 (they were built up for display but never used) and nobody took them (I thought they are very good prices. Maybe you also saw them)... Gloomy economy?

Wanker
01-02-2004, 01:37 PM
Hey dnovo,

Absolutely no offense was taken! Not to worry. The way I see it, if I really want something, like a bike, and it's what I want or close to it, I don't mind spending a few bucks over the perceived market value. I'm also not so sure the collectable bikes and parts market is depressed. I've seen some hefty sales prices on NOS N Record campy lately. Especially NOS crank sets, early 70's NOS front derailuers, large flange hub sets- NOS; etc. Possibly for those collectors who are in it for profit, maybe the market is depressed, or depressing.

On a side note; dnovo, I've really enjoyed viewing your collection of vintage lightweights. I admire the fact that you usually acquire collectable bikes that fit you and you can actually ride them. I'm even more thankful that we are different sizes! (The CSI is for a family member, not me) -

Wanker

slowgoing
01-02-2004, 06:09 PM
wanker - I don't know what others think, but I think you got a great deal. That's essentially a new frame and fork with a beautiful paint job, worth the price you paid alone, plus you get all of the components to boot. I wish I could find one that nice for that price in my size. Good job.