PDA

View Full Version : Popovych to Discovery: It's official

Keith A
08-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Well it looks like The Discovery Channel team is planning for their next TdF champion with addition of Yaroslav Popovych and it seems like a good fit.

Here's the story from CyclingNews.com...

"Confirming rumours reported last week, Ukrainian talent Yaroslav Popovych will leave Landbouwkrediet-Colnago to join the new Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team next year, the successor to US Postal. The team's management verified the news, stating that Popovych has signed a three year deal, with the option of a fourth, to race with them through 2007.

"I'm really excited to get Yaroslav on the team," said team director Johan Bruyneel. "He's a young rider who has shown his talent on numerous occasions. He was the World U23 champion (2001) and he has done some great performances at the Giro d'Italia (3rd in 2003, 5th in 2004). I'm sure he still has a great margin of progression (to make) and I see him as a future contender for the Tour de France in a few years. It's great to have a big talent like him joining us. He really believes in our program."

The 24 year old Popovych was equally happy with the prospect. "Riding for the Discovery team in 2005 has been my ultimate dream," Popovych said. "It's a team in which I believe in and a team where I'm sure to receive the proper education from directors such as Johan Bruyneel and Dirk Demol to become a three week stage racer."

Popovych's friend and teammate at Landbouwkrediet, Volodymyr Bileka, will also join the Discovery Channel team."