PDA

View Full Version : OT: How many of you were in a Fraternity?

Dave B
12-25-2007, 09:02 AM
Was having a discussion with some friends. So how many of you were in a fraternity and which ones?

Discuss

DarrenCT
12-25-2007, 09:05 AM
i went to a bunch of fraternity parties. does that count for something?

also, don't ask which ones. all those names are confusing to me..

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6120/johnbelushicollegepostevw3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

J.Greene
12-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Was having a discussion with some friends. So how many of you were in a fraternity and which ones?

Discuss

Lambda Chi Alpha
University of Florida
EM1604
Spring 90

BumbleBeeDave
12-25-2007, 09:18 AM
. . . without a nice big argument!

Never joined. Hated them. They were noticeably snotty at the University of Kansas when I was there and totally turned me off. Exclusionary. Elitist. Divisive to the student body. Too often out of control. My daughter's college doesn't have them and won't let them in. There's a reason.

Flame on . . .

BBD

Dave Hickey
12-25-2007, 09:22 AM
Lambda Chi Alpha
University of Florida
EM1604
Spring 90

Lambda Chi too...Miami(Ohio) University. 1980

J.Greene
12-25-2007, 09:25 AM
. . . without a nice big argument!

Never joined. Hated them. They were noticeably snotty at the University of Kansas when I was there and totally turned me off. Exclusionary. Elitist. Divisive to the student body. Too often out of control.
Flame on . . .
BBD

I see where the cool kids agression comes from Dave. :)

I learned a few good lessons I carry to this day. I made a few good friends that have unfortunately drifted away. If my kids decide to join I will be neither enthusiatic or negative. I think the economics of college and life in general are working against the greeks.

JG

BumbleBeeDave
12-25-2007, 09:45 AM
I see where the cool kids agression comes from Dave. :)

I learned a few good lessons I carry to this day. I made a few good friends that have unfortunately drifted away. If my kids decide to join I will be neither enthusiatic or negative. I think the economics of college and life in general are working against the greeks.

JG

. . . I'm pretty much an open book, aren't I? :p :rolleyes: ;)

BBD

e-RICHIE
12-25-2007, 09:48 AM
i was in various frats -
i felta thi
zeta eta shikza

but really, i was in one called phi sigma pi.
i still have the leather jacket.
it was more of a gang in bayonne that a real
frat. we slayed the girls at holy family and
saint andrews atmo. and then i got sent off
to peddie, and it was all boys all the time.

later my gentile friends.
gotta do the in laws thing.

rinconryder
12-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Phi Kappa Psi, Vanderbilt Univ. '00. I enjoyed it, made some great friends and had a good safe place to party and hang out. Our fraternity, except for one or two parties a year, was open to anybody and anyone who wanted to spend time there. That being said I would have been equally happy without joining.

JohnS
12-25-2007, 10:09 AM
Two year colleges don't have frats... :beer:

Smiley
12-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Beta Theta Pi
Bethany College
Bethany WVA

1969-1973

Animal House had nothing on us :banana:

jeffg
12-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Amherst banned frats in 1984, so I got to live in what was a beautiful Victorian frat house that had been converted into the German/Russian house ...

Alumni would once in a while congregate outside and point out that used to be their house .. they hadn't gotten the message the cool kids had moved on ... well, actually cool kids don't really go to Amherst and I mean that in a good way

Apparently though, the motorcycle scene in Animal House was based on an event that took place in that house when it was a frat house. That frat was the first to get kicked off campus when they took the funds to repair the house and flooded the massive basement with beer and held canoe races ...

Bill Bove
12-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Never had time for a frat, I spent most of my college age wearing olive drab.

Ken Robb
12-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Delta Tau Delta, Northwestern U. 1965.
NU was 85% Greek when I was there and it was necessary to belong to one to have any reasonable social life. There were no all-campus dances or parties except the navy Ball. There was no student union to hang out or socialize. The Delt House and others provided a small comfortable "home" on what was otherwise a very impersonal campus. In fact within the Fraternity Delt houses are referred to as "Shelters".

My best friend (had dinner with him and his wife two nights ago) was an SAE. We met in the dorm Freshman year, lived in our houses where our rooms faced each other across a quad sophomore year, and then we shared an apartment off campus the next two years.

For 3 years we went to all the Delt and SAE parties having a lot of good times. By our senior year we had "been there, done that" and mostly dropped out of fraternity life. We had a wide circle of friends from many different groups and could design our own social lives since we were now "legal" to go to clubs, etc. in Chicago. Evanston was a "dry" town back then. Many of my Brothers must have gained excellent leadership skills at the Delt House because they have had some very impressive careers and accomplished much. This isn't just my observation as many of them have written/posted their gratitude for the opportunities afforded them at Delta Tau Delta.

My daughter pledged a sorority at Auburn U. and deciding it wasn't right for her dropped out. The funnny thing is that the focus of her social life became the Farmhouse Fraternity where she was one of their "Little Sisters". She loved that whole scene and having so many "brothers" since she is an only child. Heck she married one of them. Is that incest? :rolleyes:

My bottom line is that I think in some places for some people they can be a very good thing. I thought it was a shame that in my time at NU joining was almost a necessity because quite a few people were in the wrong houses for the wrong reasons. They would have been much happier if there had been more options for socializing and recreation provided by the University.

Oh Bill, I got my olive drab from 1966-69.

ti_boi
12-25-2007, 11:20 AM
SIGMA NU.....Eta Rho Chapter....great bunch of guys.

Good times were had by all. :beer:

By Junior / Senior year.....I had a rock band with a Lambda Chi and my 'little brother' in Sigma Nu...the two groups would each pack the bars and clubs we played.

Our first gig was in the basement of the fraternity house. I still remember that night fondly. Toward the last years of college...new guys came into the house and I played for the Rugby Football Club which had it own insanely hedonistic social life. I never lacked for anything to do on any given evening. College for me was one endless array of women, parties, music and sports...I also had my road bike and we did some epic rides around the Barren River area of Kentucky. I was intelligent, but not scholarly. The experience fit me perfectly. I wouldn't trade those years for anything.

myette10
12-25-2007, 11:57 AM
alpha tau omega
UNH
freshman year only
became foozball master
and champion at beer die
eeked out a 2.11 gpa, not sure how I did so well
lost my scholarship
had to transfer for my sophomore year
prolly saved my life
or at least my liver

steve575
12-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Lambda Chi too...Miami(Ohio) University. 1980
Sigma Phi Epsilon at Miami Ohio.
1992 - 1996
Any other Miami alums out there?

ThasFACE
12-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Zeta Psi. Michigan.

yarg
12-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Zeta Nu 1982 Clarkson College now University

The best Beer Blasts.

72gmc
12-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Theta Delta Chi, Xi Deut (UW) 1989-1993

Our university went through the "crackdown" that most universities with Greek systems go through periodically. First 2 years: open bars, colossal keggers, hello girls! Last 2 years: rules rules rules, no more open parties, better grades, worse membership.

I still value the friends I made. A few of us got together to watch the Dawgs blow that football game to Hawaii a few weeks ago. Somehow we've reached adulthood, if not maturity.

Bruce K
12-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Sigma Chi
Gamma Omicron Chapter
Colgate University
Class of 1976

BK

majorpat
12-25-2007, 01:09 PM
USMC...seemed different than the frats i saw in the movies...

Dave B
12-25-2007, 01:17 PM
Sigma Chi
Gamma Omicron Chapter
Colgate University
Class of 1976

BK
In Hoc!

Sweet heart chapter. Albion, Mi. And Lamda chapter @ Indiana university

Pete Serotta
12-25-2007, 01:32 PM
USMC 65-69

ti_boi
12-25-2007, 01:36 PM
You dudes in the USMC are probably the baddest fraternity on the planet. Much respect fellas. I've known a couple of your breed and always found them to be men of the highest caliber. And fun to party with!

handsomerob
12-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Delta Chi
Memphis State University AKA University of Memphis
Delta Class Bond Number 39 (it was a new fraternity)

tons of fun, but got me in a lot of trouble. Definitely a double edged sword.

rwsaunders
12-25-2007, 02:08 PM
FIJI
University of Pittsburgh.

Bradford
12-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Phi Delta Theta
NY Zeta Chapter
Colgate University
Class of 1988 (I'm not as old as Bruce!)

It was a great experience for me. I went to school thinking about fraternities like BBD does, but found a great bunch of guys. They are still my best friends in the world.

learlove
12-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Another chopper:

Lambda Chi Alpha
Lehigh University
Gamma Psi 879

it was one heck of a ride. where the hell is that lamp anyway???

Bruce K
12-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey ti boi, when you refer to our friends the Marines, could you refrain from using the word caliber? :rolleyes:

Thanks much.

BK

ti_boi
12-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Hey ti boi, when you refer to our friends the Marines, could you refrain from using the word caliber? :rolleyes:

Thanks much.

BK

Sorry dude....I was an English minor....that much I do remember :beer:

Lost Weekend
12-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I TAPPA COORS

Chico State- 1984

Don
12-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Sigma Chi, Wesleyan Univ., '51-'55.

About 80% of student body (approx. 750 students back then) belonged to fraternities since eating and living facilities were quite limited.

Many good friends from many of the fraternities on campus. Still stay in touch performing duties as Class Secretary.

Dekonick
12-25-2007, 06:38 PM
ATO

University of Maryland, Baltimore County

'twas a good time!

When I was in Europe for a bit, they had a different system - the 'fraternities' were related to your major - ie - the med students...

C'etait 'Le Fac' -
Lotsa foosball, beer, foosball....beer.....
Chouette!

PacNW2Ford
12-25-2007, 11:27 PM
Somma cum later, then I went to gradual school.

steelrider
12-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Momma Poppa Sister. Lived at home to save dough. Went to many a blow-out party, however. Back then Cal had the largest Greek system west of the Mississippi.

Moosedryvr
12-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Dave, Steve 575,

Another Miami grad here, 1988, but no fraternity

Had lots of Greek friends at MU, but didn't join one myself, probably the only thing I would change about my college experience if I had it to do over.

Funny, but going to school at Miami is at the heart of my love for cycling. The whole no car thing made my bike, an old Torpado followed by one of the first Cannondales, a very important part of my personna then. Spent a lot of time hanging around at the Bike Center back then. Also worked the 20/20 as a MUSFer (heard the race is gone now).

Shawn G

William
12-26-2007, 05:49 AM
Nope. I lived next to a frat and was invited to a lot of their of parties. Also had a bunch of frat guys and women on the crew & cycling teams with me but it just wasn't my bag. I preferred living in my own apartment with my dog...and later my girl friend - now wife. I was an OTAS so that played a part in my not joining as well.

William

davids
12-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Sigma Phi Epsilon at Miami Ohio.
1992 - 1996
Any other Miami alums out there?
My wife is. Her brother was a Sammie, and she was a little sister there, circa '78-'80 maybe.

I had no interest in frats. Michigan had a lot of them (and I had a number of friends in them), but I was more interested in choosing all my own friends, and in co-ed housing. We named our own houses: "Mel House" my junior year, and "Burnt House" my senior. Mel has its own song.

A friend of mine briefly explored getting a charter from one that wasn't at Michigan, as a way of subsidizing housing and board for himself and his friends. But they caught on before he got too far with it.

pjm
12-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Tappa Kegga Bru :beer:

Dave B
12-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Tappa Kegga Bru :beer:

Had a buddy in I autta tappa kegga

friend of yours? :D

cw05
12-26-2007, 04:24 PM
The Citadel, no frat necessary.

Bob Ross
12-26-2007, 04:30 PM
I was never officially a member of a fraternity, but I did live in a frat house for one summer. SAE.

WadePatton
12-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Pi Kappa Alpha, eta zeta chapter. MTSU 85-91

And the dean put us on (double secret) probation. :banana: ;)

But most importantly that's where I found cycling. Had a racer and some riders in the frat. We actually hosted a road race of sorts (more of a training ride with trophies). Which led me to getting my first road bike.

Dave B
12-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Pi Kappa Alpha, eta zeta chapter. MTSU 85-91

And the dean put us on (double secret) probation. :banana: ;)

But most importantly that's where I found cycling. Had a racer and some riders in the frat. We actually hosted a road race of sorts (more of a training ride with trophies). Which led me to getting my first road bike.

I hear ya!

Growing up in Bloomington and then finishing up college Little 5 (think breaking away) was a huge influence.

Funny thing however was a Jeep King of the mountains at the area ski slope (I think it was called Ski world back then) and Johnny T won the pro race.

Got me into mountain biking!

roman meal
12-26-2007, 06:49 PM
alpha tau omega
UNH
freshman year only
became foozball master
and champion at beer die
eeked out a 2.11 gpa, not sure how I did so well
lost my scholarship
had to transfer for my sophomore year
prolly saved my life
or at least my liver

I teach at UNH. Many there have, and continue to sacrifice their livers. When the Tin Palace was burning, many stayed to finish their drinks before exiting the building. I had just paid for an import.

saab2000
12-26-2007, 06:56 PM
We did not have frats at my college. Thankfully. My impression of them is that they are elitest, popularity clubs and I was glad not to have them at my school.

djg
12-26-2007, 08:42 PM
GDI (G_d da-ned independent).

Class of '82.

DarrenCT
12-26-2007, 08:51 PM
any of you guys in those sorority girls gone wild videos???

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5514/51rfdw149elaa240wp4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ti_boi
12-26-2007, 09:03 PM
any of you guys in those sorority girls gone wild videos???

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5514/51rfdw149elaa240wp4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Some of the stories that you hear about fraternity parties are true.....but then that was the late 80's .... and we knew how to have a good time back then.

As for elitists....I'll say some of the best people I met were the guys around the fraternity house. Just cool down to earth people. But then I suppose it depends on where you went to school. Sure good looks and athleticism were always key to winning friends and influencing people -- especially when you were young....but is that so bad? I also was friendly with some dorm dwelling geeks....and freaks.... :beer:

jcmuellner
12-27-2007, 02:57 AM
Dementia Valley Day Camp. Moorhead, MN/Fargo, ND. All the frat kids came to our parties.

Steelhead
12-27-2007, 08:52 AM
Phi Delta Theta
NY Zeta Chapter
Colgate University
Class of 1988 (I'm not as old as Bruce!)

It was a great experience for me. I went to school thinking about fraternities like BBD does, but found a great bunch of guys. They are still my best friends in the world.

Brother in the Bond...

Phi Delt
TCU/Texas Zeta Chapter

The SAE's next door had the best dope..... :D

Ozz
12-27-2007, 09:54 AM
No frats at Gonzaga...I don't think the Jesuits allow them at their colleges.

I guess I don't "get" the frat thing....some sort of support system?? I guess at bigger universities that might make some sense...does anyone have the cliff notes summary on the point of fraternities?

ti_boi
12-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Sigma Nu - ΣΝ
Founded January 1, 1869
the Virginia Military Institute
Type Social, Honor
Scope United States, Canada
Motto Excelling with Honor
Colors Gold, White, Black
Symbol Serpent
Flower White rose (The Classic Five-Petaled, wild, white English Florabunda)
Chapters 278
Headquarters 9 Lewis St., P.O. Box 1869
Lexington, Virginia, USA
Homepage http://www.sigmanu.org

ΣΝ (Sigma Nu) is an undergraduate college fraternity with chapters in the United States and Canada. Sigma Nu was founded in 1869 by three cadets at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia. Founders James Frank Hopkins, Judge Greenfield Quarles and James McIlvaine Riley formed Sigma Nu shortly after Hopkins witnessed what he considered a hazing ritual by another fraternity. Sigma Nu's existence remained secret until the founders publicly announced their new society on the first day of January 1869, the accepted birth date of Sigma Nu Fraternity.

The Fraternity's values are summarized as an adherence to the principles of brotherly Love, Truth, and Honor. Because of its military heritage, Sigma Nu retains many military trappings in its chapter ranks and traditions, and places much importance on the concept of personal honor. Today, Sigma Nu honors its founders' integrity as the basis of its strictly enforced ban on hazing. Sigma Nu is also one-third of the Lexington Triad, along with Kappa Alpha Order and Alpha Tau Omega.

Although the Sigma Nu Fraternity began in October 1868 as the Legion of Honor, its existence was kept secret until the founders publicly announced their new society on the first day of January 1869, the accepted birth date of Sigma Nu. In those days the Institute did not close for "breaks" as we know them. It suspended classes only for the day on such occasions as Christmas and New Year's Day.

The fraternity's spiritual birth, however, actually occurred in 1866, the year the Founders entered VMI, when Hopkins first rebelled against hazing at the Institute. Still, the Founders did not create Sigma Nu with any feeling of animosity toward others; rather they were prompted by the impulses of sympathy and affection for all people, which underlie abiding peace and contentment. They had experienced enough hate and destruction all during and after the War. They wanted to end all abuses, and they knew it would not come easily. It was never an issue of who won or lost the War. It was only an issue of winning the peace.

The Legion of Honor society in its first year assumed the outward aspects of a college Greek-letter organization. The organization kept its original name secret but was recognized publicly as Sigma Nu Fraternity. It was soon to win the respect of all.

Michael Maddox
12-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Phi Kappa Sigma (Skull House)
Alpha Nu Chapter (Georgia Tech)
Pledge class 1987-88

I really enjoyed my fraternity at Georgia Tech. It was a diverse bunch of smart guys who really cared about each other and worked hard at school. Some of you would say we were a bunch of dorks, but we partied just as hard as everyone else when school wasn't in the way. My first quarter there, the fraternity's cumulative GPA was 3.1, which, at Tech, is pretty impressive.

Still, we had great little sisters and lots of fun drinking and carousing.

When I got to the University of Georgia, I saw a COMPLETELY different style of fraternity life--one that I'd NEVER be a part of. These guys were all the bad stereotypes most have come to associate with fraternities. While I was there, ATO lost its charter by peeing on pledges and getting caught by a national representative. What I have never understood was 1) they knew the rep was around, 2) they peed on pledges anyway. ***? I'm glad there was no Phi Kap house there to have such an image.

It seems that generalizations aren't always correct...but they often ARE.

WadePatton
12-27-2007, 10:32 AM
No frats at Gonzaga...I don't think the Jesuits allow them at their colleges.

I guess I don't "get" the frat thing....some sort of support system?? I guess at bigger universities that might make some sense...does anyone have the cliff notes summary on the point of fraternities?

Hell, we had "greek" organizations in High Schools around here. I wasn't in one of those because I pissed somebuddy off at the new school and couldn't make the vote. No biggie, I went to the parties and didn't have to go to meetings or pay dues.

The college frat thing is a social club--pure and simple. Think BPOE or Moose Lodge or Masons. Most have long histories and try to do some public service work and appear respectable. They are the base for intramural sports and other campus activities and most provide alternative housing on or near campus. But it boils down to social club.

Social clubs--watching a docu on gangs in LA recently and noticed the similarity in joining a gang--as a fraternity. Voted on, probationary period (pledging) with hazing, final approval (vote), then life-long membership with private/secret meetings and procedures. And the SOCIAL aspect.

Many life-long buds from there, and actually some folks I never care to see again--but that is a tiny minority.

Dave B
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
I guess I don't "get" the frat thing....some sort of support system??

Like no other.

I think many guys join for a variety of reasons. I played soccer...the soccer team all lived in one house. My friends were there. Easy choice. I also found out later I was a legacy.

Now, once I joined, it was an experience that I imagine could be lost on some. I think military personal go through a similar example, obviously for different purposes, but as far as forming a platoon, or a unique bond where individuals are formed into a cohesive group it remains the same.
I think many people associate fraternities with animal house..."beers and b!tches" and I am sure many operate under that goal.

I can only speak of one, but the words written by 7 men to build such a tradition always was special to me. Every single Sig in the world learned what I did. This does not mean each guy is the same, but at the very least we all have a common bond.

anyway fwiw many different experiences can be had.

Don't believe the hype that it was all beer.

Chad Engle
12-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Brother in the Bond...

Phi Delt
TCU/Texas Zeta Chapter

The SAE's next door had the best dope..... :D

Phi Delt as well. Nebraska Alpha, NU.

thomspins
12-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Kappa Sigma
Nu Upsilon Chapter
Winthrop University

Ken Robb
12-27-2007, 11:50 AM
We did not have frats at my college. Thankfully. My impression of them is that they are elitest, popularity clubs and I was glad not to have them at my school.

So how did you get this impression?

Michael Maddox
12-27-2007, 02:48 PM
Hey, don't call your fraternity a "frat." What would you call your country?

:p

steve575
12-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Dave, Steve 575,

Another Miami grad here, 1988, but no fraternity

Had lots of Greek friends at MU, but didn't join one myself, probably the only thing I would change about my college experience if I had it to do over.

Funny, but going to school at Miami is at the heart of my love for cycling. The whole no car thing made my bike, an old Torpado followed by one of the first Cannondales, a very important part of my personna then. Spent a lot of time hanging around at the Bike Center back then. Also worked the 20/20 as a MUSFer (heard the race is gone now).

Shawn G
I also sported an early Cannondale around Miami. A 3.0 crit frame w/ aluminum fork and 19mm tires, perfect bike for brick streets. I was into cycling before Miami, but I did my first mountain biking there, actually Hueston Woods.
Anyway, the greek system was a good way for me to meet a lot of good people. It's no different than any other social group, some people are great, some people suck. Isn't this forum kind of a social club?

Hardlyrob
12-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Kappa Delta Rho
Beta Chapter
Cornell University, class of 1985

Cornell at the time had a HUGE Greek system for both fraternities and sororities, since there was no guaranteed university housing after freshman year - not enough dorm space. As a result the fraternities and sororities ran the gamut from elitist social houses to groups of very down to earth people who supported each other and learned from each other. My house was a strange mix of marching band geeks and polo and rugby players - but it all worked.

Like others I learned a bunch of stuff not taught in classes, made some life long friends, and left some folks I'm not sorry to have never seen again. Like so many things you get out of a fraternity or sorority what you put into it.

Cheers!

Rob