PDA

View Full Version : Keep it? ('96 Lance/Merckx)

don'TreadOnMe
08-02-2004, 09:49 PM
First of all, thanks Ben & Co. and all the forum members, for such a wonderful online location.

Now my ?...
I've got Lance's personal travel frameset from his last season w/Motorola.

Custom steel Merckx (w/Caloi & Motorola paint). Apparently he kept this bike as a trainer, and personally toted it around in a travel bag/case, as his ti/race bikes were kept w/the team's stuff.

I'm considering selling it, but not sure whether this is the right time, and whether it is actually worth a whole lot. Has anyone here been in a similar situation regarding a potentially serious collector's bike?

Thanks in advance for your time!
-larry

kong79
08-03-2004, 08:05 AM
I've heard that their training bikes were just repainted Schwinn LeTours. Totally worthless. So if you'll just email me I'll give you my address and you can send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you. I know, this is awful generous of me, but that's just the kind of person I am.

va rider
08-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Oh, that is definately a keeper, especially if you can prove it's authenticity.

If you need to sell it, use eBay.

don'TreadOnMe
08-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

The frameset is authentic, according to those supposedly in the know (both @ Motorola and Merckx).
I'm jones'n super hard for a new frameset/bike right now, & I was thinking that it'd be good to strike when the Lance iron is hot.
I used to think that I'd wait a while, and sell it for future generations' college expenses when the time came, but...that might be a little too optimistic. I just don't know how much it'd be worth anyway...

Take care one and all.
-larry

OldDog
08-03-2004, 10:02 AM
If you were open to the idea, contact the LAF Foundation and arrange for an auction during one of their events. I suspect not only may you get your money for a dreamy new bike but maybe turn enough for a nice donation to
some of those who have helped make your good fortune possible. On the ebay market the bike is probably not worth what you may hope, but placed in the setting with bidders (celebraties) with real money, many besides you can benefit.

mavic1010
08-03-2004, 04:26 PM
I actually owned Lance's Stage 5 winning Paris-Nice frame...sold it to get an ottrott.... :crap:

don'TreadOnMe
08-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Mavic1010,

What kind of bike was your "Lance"?
Did you just get it as a frameset?

Also, and I've got ask, are you ultimately satisfied w/your sell (the Lance bike) for the Ottrott?

-larry

mavic1010
08-03-2004, 04:45 PM
I had an MXL...was raced a handful of times...barely any nicks...paint was shiny as heck.

though similar in height to Lance, i just didn't fit well on the bike...

Do i regret selling it...kinda....

weisan
08-03-2004, 05:10 PM
With Mavic's permission:

http://www.lancearmstrongfanclub.com/lafanpics.html

http://www.lancearmstrongfanclub.com/labike.jpg

Dekonick
08-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Ya gotta keep it...
but if you do sell it the LAF idea is a fgood one.