PDA

View Full Version : OT Dyson vacuum cleaners

rwsaunders
12-24-2007, 10:39 AM
The Hoover died after 24 years of service; the last 7-10 on life support. Being a new-age sensitive Forumite, I thought it was a good idea not to place a new vacuum cleaner under the tree for Mrs. RW. I was wondering if the Dyson's as good as they claim or is it just hype.

SadieKate
12-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Love mine. Never clogs and cleans stuff out of the carpeting you never knew was there.

Why would the vacuum be for the Missus and not for you? :)

Ken Robb
12-24-2007, 10:52 AM
don't be a rabble-rouser SK. They probably share the duty---right? :rolleyes:

Pastashop
12-24-2007, 10:56 AM
more better

SadieKate
12-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Let's vote by the least annoying commercial . . . .

rwsaunders
12-24-2007, 10:58 AM
don't be a rabble-rouser SK. They probably share the duty---right? :rolleyes:

Precisely Ken. I am a well-trained Stepford husband. :cool:

ti_boi
12-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Have owned two Dysons (Animal Model)....powerful...not completely bullet proof though as both seem to have 'died' over time...Would recommend them though I guess. They aint cheap...I now have an electrolux which I like --

William
12-24-2007, 11:24 AM
The Hoover died after 24 years of service; the last 7-10 on life support. Being a new-age sensitive Forumite, I thought it was a good idea not to place a new vacuum cleaner under the tree for Mrs. RW. I was wondering if the Dyson's as good as they claim or is it just hype.

Similar situation. We've been using a Simplicity that has been a champ for many years. But it's getting to the point of replacing and I was wondering about the Dyson's myself. I'm curious about other's expiences with the D's. Are they as good as they claim? Will they suck up a Squirrel???..... ;)

William

saab2000
12-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Miele

tmanley
12-24-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll know more about them after the wife opens it for Christmas (among other gifts...)

Mike748
12-24-2007, 11:50 AM
We have:

Oreck XL. Light, simple, easy to use, does hard floors and carpet (<1yr old). Downstairs vacuum.

Filter Queen / Princess III. Still great after 20 years. Only drawback is dragging along the canister... doesn't roll that well on carpet. Upstairs vacuum.

Spending big bucks on vacuums makes it easier to justify spending bigger bucks on bicycles.

Bruce K
12-24-2007, 11:58 AM
We had Kirby that we bought after an in home demo. Very pricey but it worked like a champ and lasted 18 years.

It was replaced by a Dyson about a year and a half ago that so far has been more than satisfactory.

But that said, we don't have much carpet in the house but we do have a dog who sheds a fair amount and 3 cats.

BK

93legendti
12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
Miele
We have 2 of these and they have been very good.

Ken Robb
12-24-2007, 12:29 PM
we got a Miele cannister w/power head that Leslie loves and I think is OK. Consumer Reports recently did a big test on vacuums which you may be able to find on-line or certainly at your library. No one machine is best at everythign so you have to check how various machines perform the tasks most important to you. One eye-opener for us was their report on the big negatives of bag-less cleaners in general. When you dump the dust cannister lots of dust and/or microscopic waste gets fluffed back into the air and it's particularly nasty for the person doing the dumping.
They also rated how clean each machine's exhaust air is. Some have HEPA filters on their exhausts to keep teeny nasty particles from blowing right through the vacuum and back into the air.

Interestingly the best overall performers were far from the most expensive.

avalonracing
12-24-2007, 12:35 PM
But Dirt Devil has the best slogan ever:

"Put the power of an upright in the palm of your hand"

Ti Designs
12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
They all suck.

rwsaunders
12-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I had a client who was in the waste disposal business. No, not Tony Soprano. He always told his banker that his business "was picking up".

Lifelover
12-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I love my Kirbys. I use the new one in the house and the older one in the attached garage where the dogs live.

However, I would never pay retail for one. Got the G4 1/2 price at a Pawn shop and the old one at a yard sale for $35 dollars and it included 6 bags.

Good vacuums are even more essential the less carpet you have. OK maybe not "MORE" but "just as". Sweeping does not compare to using a good vacuum on hard surfaces. If you get the Kirby buy the Hard floor attachment to connect to the hose.

I suspect Vacuum are like bikes. Get any of the good ones and you will be pleased. Get a POS and you will be happy as long as you don't know better.

smudgecycles
12-24-2007, 03:16 PM
But Dirt Devil has the best slogan ever:

"Put the power of an upright in the palm of your hand"

I think Gibby Haynes said it best.

Hard Fit
12-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Look at the construction at the joints in the tubing. they don't even fit together. on mine, the cord does get warm to the touch, not very reassuring. find the utensils fall off all the time.

cleavel
12-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi,

My wife is using our Dyson cannister as we speak. I'll be using it shortly after. Our bottom-feeder fish in our pond is named Dyson. Need I say more? :)

whitecda
12-24-2007, 06:25 PM
Took a while to get comfortable with the price. But finally found it cheap(er) at Costco. Been most pleased with the investment!!!

BumbleBeeDave
12-24-2007, 06:42 PM
. . . because they are so d@mn expensive!

I've got a Eureka now that I've had for ten years. 12 amps, works pretty good--better with a HEPA bag in it. But I was wondering about getting a newer one on the logic that it would work better if I got one of the zoomy bagless ones. so I went to shop and every d@mn one of them had the same motor--12 amps. So I'm thinking that theoretically, at least, they would all suck with the same power. Now I know if you're pulling the same amount of air through a smaller opening that the suction is going to be stronger. It's obvious when I put the crevice accessory on the end of the hose.

But I've been wondering how the Dyson does it--if it really does do it better, or it's all just hype. From what I saw, it seemed to have the same 12 amp motor as all the others. 12 x 120 volts is 1440 watts. How could they really have better suction with exactly the same motor? And why would the motor size be capped at 12 amps? I would think vacuum makers would just keep putting bigger motors on their products to get more suction and get an advantage. Is it because the standard home circuit breaker is 1500 watts and if they give it more "pull" it's going to blow the breaker? Not sure . . . but if anyone knows Dyson's secret I'd be interested in knowing it, because a couple of hundred bucks is a big premium to pay!

BBD

maunahaole
12-24-2007, 07:51 PM
We recently got a Eureka Boss Smartvac at bestbuy. It was highly reviewed by CR. It is excellent. It is a bag type with hepa filter. When you turn it on it pulls away from you. The only downside is that it is heavy. Not a big deal for us, since we live on a single floor.

Peter P.
12-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Interestingly the best overall performers were far from the most expensive.

I own a Eureka Bravo Powerline Plus. I bought it based on tests in Consumer Reports.

I paid a hundred bucks for it 10 years ago.

It was the third best vacuum. It outperformed many which cost 3 to 4 times as much, including the over-hyped brands.

What Ken Robb said is true. Now go read Consumer Reports and spend the money saved on bike parts!

quattro
12-29-2007, 03:28 PM
My Hoover of 10-12 years just kicked the bucket. I looked at Dyson's today at Linen's and Things, just can't get past spending $300-$500 for vacuum, even with a 20% coupon. So how are all of the new vacuum's that were under the tree working out? Any further suggestions? Different brands? I have a golden retreiver that sheds year round and need a vacuum that will suck it all up. I know I can count on Serotta Forumites to steer me in the right direction to purchase a, a, vacuum :cool: Thanks

quattro

ti_boi
12-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Problem is that with a pet....the dander and hair will kill any vac early....so you might as well buy cheap. I know this for a fact...my Dyson(S) have been fine....very powerful...relatively reliable....with long cords. Built well....once they get a year under them they stink....need to be professionally cleaned out.

ergott
12-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Miele here. Parts fit well and the head is nice. It's easy to do the basic maintenance on it. Getting hair off the power bar is important for any rotating bar.

Grant McLean
12-29-2007, 05:09 PM
. . .

But I've been wondering how the Dyson does it--if it really does do it better, or it's all just hype. From what I saw, it seemed to have the same 12 amp motor as all the others. 12 x 120 volts is 1440 watts. How could they really have better suction with exactly the same motor? And why would the motor size be capped at 12 amps? I would think vacuum makers would just keep putting bigger motors on their products to get more suction and get an advantage. Is it because the standard home circuit breaker is 1500 watts and if they give it more "pull" it's going to blow the breaker? Not sure . . . but if anyone knows Dyson's secret I'd be interested in knowing it, because a couple of hundred bucks is a big premium to pay!

BBD

I thought the benefit of the Dyson was that it doesn't lose suction as the
filter gets dirty, like the commercial claims the other brands do.

http://www.dyson.com/about/technology/

-g

ti_boi
12-29-2007, 05:16 PM
I thought the benefit of the Dyson was that it doesn't lose suction as the
filter gets dirty, like the commercial claims the other brands do.

http://www.dyson.com/about/technology/

-g

Dyson is powerful....my two simply broke over time....and rather than service them, I just bought something else.....first another Dyson and then.....an Electrolux, which I am annoyed with because the cord is too short and retracts at will! UGH!

Ray
12-29-2007, 05:53 PM
We have a Dyson that's a few years old - don't remember exactly but they were pretty new when we got it. They don't lose power as they fill up. You have to clean the filter every year or so to keep the air moving freely. We've had a couple of clogs when we've overfilled a bit that required some disassembly to clean out, but it wasn't tough and it was our own damn fault. You do let a lot of dust into the air when you empty them - I tend to do it outside or at least in the garage.

Still going strong.

-Ray