PDA

View Full Version : In the name of fair and balanced reporting...

Bruce K
08-02-2004, 08:37 PM
While we were applauding Senator Kerry for sporting an LAF yellow wristband, did noone notice that President Bush (Lance's fellow Texan) was also wearing one?

BK

Bill Bove
08-02-2004, 08:49 PM
We don't like him, so we don't talk about him.

Actually, isn't amazing how a simple little thing like a yellow rubber band started by a guy in a 3rd rate sport has gained so much momentum that both canadates in a presidential election are wearing them just like you and me and the kid around the block. We are all brothers, sometimes we don't get along but in the end whatever our differences are, we are brothers... A simple yellow band.

Elefantino
08-02-2004, 09:31 PM
I believe that President Bush didn't put one on until after Karl Rove saw Kerry wearing one on his wrist. Rove called a meeting with Cheney, and Cheney called a meeting with the cabinet in order to pressure Bush to put one on, too.

At first, Bush balked because he said he didn't like wearing anything under his socks.

Ashscroft then asked the president if he wanted to prosecute the LAF under the Patriot Act because some of the profits were coming in from overseas, "or at least countries that aren't us."

Tom Ridge asked the president to wear a blue band instead to "reassure the country that the terror threat is low. Isn't blue the color?"

Rumsfeld told Bush that he could "wear a smaller size and still be effective."

Wolfowitz cautioned the president against sending the wrong signal because "I'm told Lance rhymes with Iraq."

Powell was told the meeting was in Cleveland.

Kevin
08-03-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm still trying to figure out who helped George put on his bracelet. I don't think he could do it by himself.

Kevin

Dekonick
08-03-2004, 06:51 AM
It is possible its just a hospital wrist band from one of his many falls...

keno
08-03-2004, 07:11 AM
of selling my Serotta because Kerry rides one. I wouldn't want anyone to draw any wrong conclusion, such as that my Serotta is a low-end bike since Mr. Kerry wouldn't ride anything but a common man's bike. BTW, does he film his own rides? After all, those roads out there are a war scene.

keno

Bruce K
08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
keno;

I've heard he recreates the crashes for the camera just to be sure they show the full horror of the incident.

I also heard he used to blame his fellow cyclists for causing all these accidents.

Good grief, my tongue is coming out the other side of my cheek.

Sorry, Bill, I just couldn't help myself. I love the fact that we disagree at times but can still have civil, rational discourse.

BK

Bill Bove
08-03-2004, 08:08 AM
I love the fact that we disagree at times but can still have civil, rational discourse.

BK

That is what makes the U.S.A. so great.

I'm afraid to burst your bubble Bruce but Bush was not wearing an LAF band. That was his yellow streak showing. I'm surprised his is not a red , white and blue band, he loves to wrap himself in the flag. Having said that, I now go to work with a :)

Bruce K
08-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Hey Bill;

I take it all back!

PLLLTTTTTT !!!!! :p :D

And congatulations again, but be careful, owning your own business has been known to cause a severe lean towards conservativism. :banana:

BK

gdw
08-03-2004, 10:17 AM
It's good to see Kerry wearing the yellow band but also confusing. He had it on his right wrist in a couple of the clips I saw and than switched it to his left in others. If there is a correct way to wear it, than someone should tell the man because he seems to have a tough time being consistant.

As to his accident, no worry, it wasn't his Serotta. He was riding it for some other bicyclist and symbolically crashed to prove his point that Boston's bike paths are unsafe. His Serotta's are fine and he never intended us to think otherwise.

oracle
08-03-2004, 10:36 AM
ramblings of bush's addled mind as he put on the bracelet:

"livestrong...is that a word? must be....ha! livestrong-armstrong! i get it! ha! funny his name is armstrong when he pedals his bike with his legs...maybe he should change his name to legstrong...too bad he rides around on a sissy bike with all them tight clothes.....he does have pretty legs, though......boy they look smooth....soft....lord, you were'nt listening, were you?......"

KKevin
08-03-2004, 11:15 AM
I believe Lance mentioned in the OLN interview that 14 out of the twenty stage winners were wearing the live strong bands.

Ozz
08-03-2004, 11:28 AM
I believe Lance mentioned in the OLN interview that 14 out of the twenty stage winners were wearing the live strong bands.

and the six who weren't are going to get "simeonied" next year!!! ;)

Bruce K
08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
I don't know if anyone caught the national news story on one of the networks but apparently the LAF has exceeded their stated goal of $5Million.

So far there have been 7 million (I also heard one report that it was more like 8) bracelets sold.

They have become some kind of hip fashion accessory (see People magazine) and even a hot item in my son's high school crowd. He gave away about 10 of them to freinds and now they are on about half the high school kids in town.

I know some folks wearing them probably are clueless as to what they are all about but in the end I'm not sure I care about that as much. If by becoming some kind of fashion statement the one "magic dollar" is raised that makes the breakthrough in cancer survivorship or research possible then it's all worth it.

I understand they are sold out and more are being manufactured. One of the LBS's is taking reservations for the next shipment.

All in all a pretty cool, very simple idea that hopefully will reap huge benefits for us all.

As Bill Bove said, a simple little yellow rubber band.....

BK