PDA

View Full Version : the brakes

Fixed
12-23-2007, 02:10 PM
bro i don't get it with brakes they seem to be dangerous ...cats have them so close if they grab em the wheel locks so enlighten me on what am i'missing besides what i already know a mountain
cheers :beer:

justinf
12-23-2007, 02:34 PM
I actually did my first road fixie ride sans brakes this morning. . . sold my IF frame and rebuilt the CRL as a fixie. The roads were wet and it felt a little sketchy/exciting (esp with a cracked rib) but. . . cool. I've learned to lock the rear wheel up as needed and that helps.

Having said that, brakes come in handy.

SadieKate
12-23-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't think you're supposed to "grab em". You feather them -- just like driving a car in icy conditions. Oh yeah, you don't have mountains or ice there (except in your G&Ts).

Viper
12-23-2007, 03:35 PM
For my road bike, I have the brakes set which allows me to index them, use them properly. I believe most have their brakes too 'tight'. Like in a car, the brakes should lock only when you slam the pedal. On my bike, there is a lot of 'room' in my brake levers...so I can ride downhill as fast as possible, my index fingers pulling the levers inward ever so slightly and without any braking of the pads taking place. The most braking power should take place as the lever is almost hitting the handlebar, atmo.

rbtmcardle
12-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Kurtis Blow - he has a lot to say about the Breaks

dirtdigger88
12-23-2007, 03:44 PM
The most braking power should take place as the lever is almost hitting the handlebar, atmo.

how do you not pinch you fingers?

Jason

Fixed
12-23-2007, 04:07 PM
to break is to admit defeat imho last resort or to stop
be in a break = campy
use your brakes = shimano

hansolo758
12-23-2007, 04:40 PM
be in a break = campy

Bro, I refer you to this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35253) , wherein several forum heavyweights (Ti Designs, 11.4, znfdl AND you as well) opined on fixed gear riding. I feel brakes are necessary for neophytes like me -- but I can appreciate you're much more experienced than I at riding fixed gear. I happily admit defeat in advance and ride with brakes.

sg8357
12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
How do you handle steep descents ?
My coffee run includes a couple 5% 1.5 miles descents and one 1/2 mile
at 10% increasing to 14% for the fun part.

Fixed if you don't like dual pivots, try some Mafac center pulls,
better modulation and nifty pedestrian warning feature.

Andreas
12-23-2007, 05:03 PM
be in a break = campy

Probably true in the flatlands of Florida...

riding fixed in FL = shimano
riding fixed in NH/VT = campy

:beer:

Blue Jays
12-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Having effective and well-adjusted brakes makes life on a roadbike more enjoyable.

Fixed
12-23-2007, 06:32 PM
i have a ft brake my idea was about not using it at every bump in the road .you ride with cats around you stay off the brakes imho
cheers do you need brakes as much as you think? :beer:

Fixed
12-23-2007, 06:33 PM

riding fixed in FL = shimano
riding fixed in NH/VT = campy

:beer:
yeah baby but i got 365
cheers

Samster
12-23-2007, 06:42 PM
yeah baby but i got 365
cheersno. hurricane season atmo.

happy xmas fixed!

justinf
12-23-2007, 08:18 PM

ever seen the folks in San Fran sans brakes? that ain't flat.

sspielman
12-24-2007, 06:44 AM
How do you handle steep descents ?
My coffee run includes a couple 5% 1.5 miles descents and one 1/2 mile
at 10% increasing to 14% for the fun part.

Fixed if you don't like dual pivots, try some Mafac center pulls,
better modulation and nifty pedestrian warning feature.

That jersey is hilarious....You might be shocked at how good the Mafacs are with modern pads.....

flydhest
12-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Fixed, bro, it's that time of year and I'm on the fixie 80% or so. Yesteray on the shop ride, there were only 4 of us. I was making one of the younger guys hip to the skip stop. The link to the thread on fixies and brakes is sort of useful, but misses a very crucial point, I think. I ride differently when I don't have brakes on. The statement that someone can stop faster with brakes than without is, to me, beside the point. The way I ride, I would have to be able to stop faster with brakes to achieve the same level of safety/risk.

But were you talking about derailleur bikes in the original post?

Ahneida Ride
12-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Salmon Kool Stop Brake Pads ...

RudAwkning
12-24-2007, 10:17 AM
The thing with the "brakes vs. no brakes" on a fixie thing is that while some folks can skid stop/ted shred and stop on a dime, 99% of the people out there who are riding without brakes >can't<. But they want to be able to roll up to a fixed-gear polo session and not be kooked so they take the brake(s) off. That's dangerous for everyone.

Can one stop without brakes? Yes. Can everyone? No.

That being said, check these out. I've rolled with a bunch of these guys. You'll meet many of them at the NAHBS at the Broakland/Montano Velo/El Camino Fab booth. Crazy skills.

http://www.mashsf.com/

http://www.myspace.com/macaframa415

Fixed
12-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Fixed, bro, it's that time of year and I'm on the fixie 80% or so. Yesteray on the shop ride, there were only 4 of us. I was making one of the younger guys hip to the skip stop. The link to the thread on fixies and brakes is sort of useful, but misses a very crucial point, I think. I ride differently when I don't have brakes on. The statement that someone can stop faster with brakes than without is, to me, beside the point. The way I ride, I would have to be able to stop faster with brakes to achieve the same level of safety/risk.

But were you talking about derailleur bikes in the original post?
yeah geared i was thinking about cats riding on the brakes and how strong modern brakes are and do we need them . but most fixed gears...
small gears no brakes bigger gear ft brake imho
cheers thanks merry christmas

Ken Robb
12-24-2007, 12:39 PM
How often do fixed riders have to skid to a stop? Doesn't that at least flat-spot your tires and at worst wear them out quickly? I know that my stopping distances would be too long for me to feel safe if I could only use my back brake on my bicycle of mr motorcycle.

RudAwkning
12-24-2007, 02:47 PM
How often do fixed riders have to skid to a stop? Doesn't that at least flat-spot your tires and at worst wear them out quickly? I know that my stopping distances would be too long for me to feel safe if I could only use my back brake on my bicycle of mr motorcycle.

If you look at the premiere issue of Cog magazine, they test 3 tires. The Michelin Eriliium ($18) lasted 30 skids before it blew out. The Armadillo ($37) lasted 100 skids. The Soma Everwear ($39) went 160+ skids.

The dirty little secret with the Armadillo is that they have a lifetime guarantee. I know loads of kids who buy them, burn them out in a couple weeks and then take them back to the local Specialized shop where the shop swaps them out for free, sending the dead tires back to specialized. Wonder how long til Specialized catches on?

Ken Robb
12-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I tried one set of armadillos and they were the hardest riding tires i've tried. Even at lower than usual pressures they were not very compliant. I'm sure they must be very sturdy but I don't want to ride them.