PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Tilt

Chris
12-22-2007, 05:31 PM
No matter where I put my Arione on the rails, I end up with it ever so slightly nose up. Do others of you out there have your saddle with the nose tilted up at all? Does it matter that it isn't perfectly level?

swoop
12-22-2007, 05:39 PM
its very personal. john howard would say he measured everyone's saddle tilt and came away with an average of 2.4 degrees (?) nose down. harm once told me he goes a little nose down to be able to push against the back of the saddle for leverage when climbing.

harm and john howard are real bikers and i'm not. so, i ride dead level.. but have a private logic defying sequence for where to put that level on the saddle.

listen to your taint. this is why i like pmp posts... you can micro-adjust that thing to your heart's content.

you could certainly argue that when you scootch up on the nose the saddle is flexing and viola.. you're level.

don't get weird about it... unless your chamois is self leveling or you're a princess and a peapod type.. which i unfortunately am.

A.L.Breguet
12-22-2007, 05:41 PM
How does it feel?
Saddle nose position is pretty specific to the individual, within some general guide lines. Remember that you should not be using your legs to avoid sliding forward, and you also should pay attention to pressure/discomfort from the nose pointing up. ATMO, if you need to set the saddle more than about 1/4" from level nose up or down, you probably have other issues, like excessive saddle height,...

Kevan
12-22-2007, 05:46 PM
it's weird that you can't level out your saddle. What post are you using?

Chris
12-22-2007, 05:51 PM
it's weird that you can't level out your saddle. What post are you using?

No, I think you misunderstood. Fore or aft on the rails I still want to have the nose ever so slightly nose up. It isn't much at all, but I know it is up a little. I read other posts that said that people actually pointed their's down some and it seemed like that would be nearly impossible for me to do anything other than ride in the drops.

Ken Robb
12-22-2007, 06:03 PM
I think my Ariones are level but my Brooks are a bit nose up. Any nose-down and my hannds hurt from the pressure required to keep me from sliding forward.

Ray
12-22-2007, 06:13 PM
I like the back part, where I sit, to be pretty much dead level. On some saddles, with some dip in the middle, this generally means a pretty notably raised nose. The Aliante and B-17 come to mind - and these are the two saddles I have in use on all of my bikes these days, so everyone who sees my bikes think I have a weird saddle position. On more level saddles like the Rolls, Regal, and an older model Body Geometry that I once used, that resulted in a pretty much dead level saddle. On a couple that I've tried, where the middle is actually a bit higher than the rear, I've had a slight nose down position. But the common thing for me is the part where my sit-bones go needs to be as close to level as I can get it.

This is, of course, nothing but personal preference.

-Ray

Blue Jays
12-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Mine are level. As long as you're not encountering muscle soreness, cramps, or encouraging saddle sores, you should be fine.

Dave
12-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Do yu have a 2-bolt clamp on the post that allows very fine angle adjustment? If so, then you should use whatever angle works for you. If not, then you may not be able to the correct angle.

dirtdigger88
12-22-2007, 08:36 PM
start with your arione slightly nose down-

the rails flex more than some saddles- at least in my experience

about 1* down equals level with my butt on it

Jason

jeffg
12-23-2007, 10:19 AM
With a SSM Era, I have mine pointed slightly nose down. I just make sure the level says all the saddles are the same, then it's all good.

Agree with Swoop on the PMP adjustability. The WR Compositi works the same way (though it's 8mm in front rather than 6), and the Eriksen is the easiest to adjust of all.

Now I need to have bikes at my mom's and my in-laws so I can ride over the holidays .... :crap: