PDA

View Full Version : Recent Thread I Posted

Sandy
12-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I posted a thread recently about spouse versus pet afffection/ love and received a remarkable amount of negative responses. First, I will give you the precise origin of the question and then a few comments concerning such.

1. The question was my wife's question and not mine. That was stated in the thread several times.

2. The question was based upon what she saw on the game show-Family Feud, in which, as my wife remembers, the following question was asked- " What is more important to a husband than his wife?" Answers given were- car, pet/dog, video games, computer. As I am interested in adopting a dog and she has reservations, she asked the question which I posted on the forum.

Most of you don't really know me very well. You know my wife even less. She is a caring, loving, affectionate, warm, gentle, and kind woman. She does not know how to treat a person badly. It is not her nature. Her name is Tova in Hebrew, which means good, and that is precisely what she is.

The question which was posed had absolutley nothing to do with fires or water or ladders or....It was a question which simply was given relative to affection/love for a pet versus a spouse- both a female and a male spouse.

Somehow the question brought great negativity and I was labeled as one who thinks of a female spouse as dogs are considered, as possessions. That is so remarkably far from the truth. I love my wife and clearly, as all of you who read the forum often must know, I do not consider a dog/pet a possession, no matter the legal reality. But although few of you really know me (Smiley does), many took the opportunity to ridicule, make fun of, and chastise me when in fact you had and have no idea of how I think on the subject. The fact that the question was not even mine, and I stated that, made no difference. I have no pet. I have not had one in 30 years and I didn't even vote in the poll.

My thread became the playground of a clique/group (not in totality of course) that thinks it is fine to belittle and make fun of people. It was their play place and one even basically said so. It was fun for him.

After at least 126 posts on the initial thread, a second thread was started, for some reason, about the first thread. For what possible purpose?

Somehow a question in the thread asking "which would you rather eat Sandy's dog or his wife" received no comments except for the very next post- "jessica simpson,atmo". How many married males here would allow that to be said relative to your wife (the former post)? When I stated that I found the former post offensive, I was chastised. The person who said it would not say that to me directly, I assume, but that is the power of the internet. Enjoy yourself and be insensitive at the expense of others.

I am no longer willing to be part of the play space that exists within the forum. I have no problem with criticism and joking. I can accept that. But I feel that it has progressed within the forum beyond the point of acceptability, at least from my perspective.

I have made many friends here, some of whom I have never met, and have gainded a tremendous amount personally by participating. Clearly, I beat to a different drummer than some here. I am no longer, at least now, comfortable being here.

Post whatever some of you want to post- obviously. I will not read any comments in this thread.

Sandy

e-RICHIE
12-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Clearly, I beat to a different drummer than some here. I am no longer, at least now, comfortable being here. Sandy
- at least now -

good idea to leave that door open atmo.
sandy - i don't know you except for this
forum and the several pm's we've traded.
walk away. go ride that bicycle. hit your
hammer with a finger or two ( a levon helm
reference from the last waltz). let the wind
mess up the part in your hair.

see you on the other side atmo.

Dave B
12-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Sandy I understand your ideas were misinterpreted by some. I think people often times write stuff that may not sound as they wished it had. However that is a poor excuse on my part.

Logical intentions often times are emotionally answered. Kind of a nicer way of saying ***** happens if you will.

One thing I need you to hear is that yes there are cliques in any large group.

But you are in mine and are an essential part of it. It was your post many months ago sharing something personal (depression) that showed me the type of compassion here. I was able to share personal stuff of myself. When you are not here, the quality of the discussions often sink. Your genuine heart felt questions and responses are some many of us did not know how to ask.

Would this forum survive with out many of us...sure, however any group can benefit from strong minds...good and bad.

I do hope you find your way back as many of us enjoy the humor you bring.

Until then, god speed my friend and at least stay in touch some how.

Viper
12-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Dude, that thread had it all...Marissa Miller, the love of my life, JCREW girl etc. It had Kim Jong Illin', cowboys ninja style and someone who admitted, "My cat kisses me more often than my wife."

I think Ginger summed it up best (see below). Sandy, you asked a question, it wasn't worded perfectly, left a lot of room open for interpretation...some folks replied honestly and for others it was pure folly. One cannot be a champion of compassion, understanding, open-mindedness yet wig out, take his toys home as a thread didn't go his way...or the way he wanted it to go.

I posted about Jacques Cousteau and Leonard Nimoy, I thought it'd be one of the single greatest threads in the history of the entire internet, it wasn't meant to be. It doesn't change my man-love for Jacques Cousteau and Leonard Nimoy. There is something to be learned from this.

"Sandy...odd that you should take offense. You've asked everyone else to choose between their wife and their pet. Why do you see your wife as different? I will tell you here and now that casting a wife as a "possession" at the same level as a pet and post a poll that requires participants to make a decision between her and a pet getting saved from a fire is extremely offensive. And if you don't understand that, there is little more for some of us to do than to make fun of the question and perhaps even you.
(And yes, I posted in the thread, and voted...even though I was offended because hey...maybe someone will send me their husband to prove out my answer to the question AND well...whatever other use I may have for a husband. Haven't had any good offers yet. )."

~Ginger from the infamous thread.

J.Greene
12-22-2007, 03:33 PM
I was serious about this forum being a mental hospital. Sadly, I just realized that I checked myself in long ago.

JG

Viper
12-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I was serious about this forum being a mental hospital. Sadly, I just realized that I checked myself in long ago.

JG

Sandy needs more photos of Marissa Miller. Cure anything atmo.

J.Greene
12-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Sandy,

I went and reread your original post. I don't think your first few lines are anything like what you say above. You said that you have thought of that question many times in the past. Hmmmmm.

I guess all I can say is mesage boards aren't real life.

JG

Pete Serotta
12-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Gang, Sandy was trying to be open and sincere.. and in my opinion we treated it as "locker room banter".

Quite obviously more has been said than needed and then some. I have been asked by more than a few (no not SANDY) to close the thread.

It is not deleted (although I would have no problem with that) - but maybe we can look at some of the comments we made and ask ourselves "why" did we post them, "what knowledge we shared with it" AND lastly was it rude to an extent not needed.

No I am not the censor and not the ultimate say in politics or diplomacy - BUT many of the comments were plain RUDE, INSULTING, AND THAT IS ABOUT ALL.......

WE were not respecting each other and just because folks did not speak out against the "locker room" gang :confused: :confused: :butt: :butt:

Feel free to attack me here or in the emails for making this call -

PETE