PDA

View Full Version : IF geometry ?

indyrider
12-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Take a look at the st and ht angles....How will this affect the handling....never have ridden a cross machine with a ht that was not steeper than the st....tell me what ya think and thanks in advance....J

link
12-22-2007, 12:43 PM
offset of the fork is going to have a very meaningful contribution in the overall handling of the bike in relation to the HT angle.

if the HT is "slack" (by your standards) then less trail or more offset will quicken steering response.

BB height will also play into handling character too.

stevep
12-22-2007, 12:50 PM
this is a new frame that they are building fr you?

dont worry about it.
put stuff on it when it comes and ride it.
dont overthink.

there is always some reluctance to buy a custom built for someone else.
it coulda been made for fat robert one of the times he was designing frames with the use of a magic 8-ball...

indyrider
12-22-2007, 12:57 PM
This is a new to me frame....you're right alright.....shouldnt worry, just put in the miles.....

Dr. Doofus
12-22-2007, 01:01 PM
it coulda been made for fat robert one of the times he was designing frames with the use of a magic 8-ball...

i heard you moved all of them

where's my cut?

J.Greene
12-22-2007, 03:25 PM
The two angles are unrelated. One is for handling and the other is to place your a$$ where it should be over the bb.

JG

stevep
12-22-2007, 04:21 PM
i heard you moved all of them

where's my cut?

i sent yr share.
see if yr mailman is driving an escalade...i thk he stole the check.

manet
12-22-2007, 06:04 PM
.The two angles are unrelated. One is for handling and the other is to place your a$$ where it should be over the bb.

JG

indyrider
12-22-2007, 08:14 PM
guys.....Lets not hijack my thread with the forumites rapping whatever, from whenever you met up last in saratoga....i had a serious question and it would be nice to have a few serious, informed replies :crap:

Peter P.
12-22-2007, 08:35 PM
J.Greene gets it.

The seat angle and head angle DON'T affect each other.

Your question regards the HANDLING of the bike. The head angle chosen by IF is in the range typically used with 'cross bikes. Now, look at the trail figure- 61.5mm. That's the result of the head angle, wheel radius, and fork rake. Cross bikes are likely to have a higher trail figure than road bikes because you don't want mud, rocks, and roots to flick your front end off line. That's why mountain bikes have higher trail figures than road bikes, too.

You don't need to worry about this design. I'd put more worry into what color you choose-it better meet forum approval...

dave thompson
12-22-2007, 08:37 PM
The two angles are unrelated. One is for handling and the other is to place your a$$ where it should be over the bb.

JG
See above. The two angles are separate in their function. Handling mostly is dictated by the combination of head angle, fork offset, chainstay length and front center. The seat tube angle is for placing your fanny where it should be. More or less seat tube angle will result in handling changes but more from a fore/aft weight and balance perspective.

J.Greene
12-22-2007, 10:09 PM
i had a serious question and it would be nice to have a few serious, informed replies :crap:

I did I thought. Hey, go look at the standard geo charts of all the people who make cross frames. In the middle sized frames 71-72 is the most common HT angle. I can't tell you why other than its more stable when I'm pedaling.

so to recap...

1. ST angle is for fit, HT angle is for handling.
2. Cross frames use a geo that is a little slower.
3. and it makes no effin difference how one is compared to the other. Comparing them is like saying you can't see the from axle so the bike must fit.

JG

3chordwonder
12-22-2007, 11:00 PM
For what it's worth, my Cannondale cross frame has a 72 headtube angle as per your IF frame, and it rides beautifully.

DarrenCT
12-23-2007, 03:09 AM
... but its a cannondale :p

soulspinner
12-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Paint that thing turquoise and ride the he!! out of it. Pics when ya get it please... :)

ericspin
12-23-2007, 05:50 AM
My indy fab PX (of course, cross geos) has ruined me forever when it comes to traditional road bike geos. It undoubtedly suits my comfort requirements more than any bike I have ridden. I am, in fact, contemplating a CJ with cross type geos. Don't know the specifics of your situaution but you may love it. I also love the tube choices IF uses with the PX. Tryityou'lllikeit!

Fixed
12-23-2007, 09:20 AM
i like their forks
cheers

link
12-23-2007, 03:48 PM
guys.....Lets not hijack my thread with the forumites rapping whatever, from whenever you met up last in saratoga....i had a serious question and it would be nice to have a few serious, informed replies :crap:

I gotta say that it's a provocative question ...I for one really like chewing this flav of jerky.

However...

The collective seems to have recently adopted a "don't question the builder" mentality. Just hop on and enjoy the ride. Now I see the wisdom in that response. Tons of wisdom there. But, I also think that there's a lot of expertise on the forum that could go at least a little deeper with respects to your query.

I personally am in the middle of a custom 29er hardtail build ...I'm all over trail, offset, wheelbase, BB drop, CS length and the all too elusive industry movement with regards to these things morphing into a "better" 29er bike. BTW, all of these variables are determinants of handling character.

I would love to hear more input on this thread.

There you have it. I'm stopping there, because I've never been awarded the "gets it" slap on the back.

So what color will it be?

Merry Christmas

soulspinner
12-23-2007, 03:52 PM
I gotta say that it's a provocative question ...I for one really like chewing this flav of jerky.

However...

The collective seems to have recently adopted a "don't question the builder" mentality. Just hop on and enjoy the ride. Now I see the wisdom in that response. Tons of wisdom there. But, I also think that there's a lot of expertise on the forum that could go at least a little deeper with respects to your query.

I personally am in the middle of a custom 29er hardtail build ...I'm all over trail, offset, wheelbase, BB drop, CS length and the all too elusive industry movement with regards to these things morphing into a "better" 29er bike. BTW, all of these variables are determinants of handling character.

There you have it. I'm stopping there, because I've never been awarded the "gets it" slap on the back.

Merry Christmas

You get it just fine. Merry x-mas... :beer:

link
12-23-2007, 03:57 PM
must be the season ...charitable and all that jazz

may your trail always follow your offset

Merry Christmas

stevep
12-23-2007, 04:55 PM
do you think you'll get better info by throwing a question out to 500 people who you dont know and none of whom likely have ever seen you on a bike?
as opposed to a process with a reputable builder?
how would you know the wheat from the chaff?
what could you possibly hear?
"no, the head angle is too steep/shallow.."
"the seat tube is too laid back/ steep"
kinda makes no sense.

this consult is free but its worth it.

However...

Merry Christmas

link
12-23-2007, 05:39 PM
not my question

but i figur that discuss needn't be right wrong ...good bad ...black white

mebe a little insight on x geo

mebe a little discuss

mebe a little crack in the door to let some fresh in instead of slammin it shut

mebe not