PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

72gmc
12-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Currently I'm running a full 2007 Centaur drivetrain with ergos on my Davidson daily rider. I am seriously considering switching key bits over to run a 9-speed Shimano drivetrain with bar-end shifters.

Pros:
1. I prefer loose ball hubs, Shimano still makes 'em, and in silver
2. Range of 13-29 Campy cassette can be retained with Harris Century cassette
3. Bar-end shifters can go friction if necessary
4. Cheaper/stronger 9 speed chains

Cons:
1. Sure I can imagine scenarios, but the fact is there is nothing, repeat nothing, that has ever gone wrong with my current drivetrain

My practical side is making that con a bit of a hurdle. What would you do?

capybaras
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
why do you prefer loose ball hubs?

J.Greene
12-22-2007, 11:31 AM
My practical side is making that con a bit of a hurdle. What would you do?

I'd put my name in the que with Dave Kirk.

JG

caleb
12-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I'd ride the Ergo setup. If you want to swap it for a set of 9spd Shimano bar end shifters, a chain, and a cassette, send me a PM.

Dave
12-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Seems kind of silly to change a drivetrain that has caused no problems. If you've got the cheaper cartridge bearing Centaur level hubs, there's really no bearing maintenance to be done. A lot of top of the line hubs in other brands use cartridge bearings. If they wear out, they are simple to replace and you can choose from several levels of precision and expense from the standard ABEC-3 all the way to ceramic hybrids.

The chain "strength" situation is really exaggerated. You can use any brand of 10 speed chain you want, but Campy will most likely last the longest. Get a Veloce chain for the most bang for the buck (in Campy). If you want a quick link on the chain, then a wipperman connex or Forster superlink can be had to fit any chain on the market.

saab2000
12-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Commando is the only way to go.

Steve Hampsten
12-22-2007, 12:35 PM
What Jonathon said: get another bike for the Shimano drivetrain

72gmc
12-22-2007, 03:04 PM
why do you prefer loose ball hubs?

Because I'm old fashioned. I didn't say these were brilliant reasons, just my reasons...

Dave is right, and my practical side will probably win. Plus, I can then follow J.Greene and Steve's advice. Saab, I already follow your advice. Less laundry time, more riding time.

handsomerob
12-22-2007, 10:53 PM
remember the formula....

The perfect number of bikes owned is X + 1, where X equals current fleet.