PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Hamilton to Rock Racing

flux
12-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Discuss. (http://velonews.com/news/fea/13825.0.html)

manet
12-21-2007, 09:06 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=37737

flux
12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
I am so not with it. My bad.

e-RICHIE
12-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I am so not with it. My bad.
you are way too much atmo.

swoop
12-21-2007, 09:14 PM
hope tyler finds a way... wish this weren't it. he starts to look like a sweet guy that can't make a make a smart decision.

velosport
12-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Train wreck. Tyler needs to move past bike racing.

BumbleBeeDave
12-21-2007, 09:36 PM
hope tyler finds a way... wish this weren't it. he starts to look like a sweet guy that can't make a make a smart decision.

. . . but his piggy bank may be near empty and what else does he know how to do?

BBD

manet
12-21-2007, 09:41 PM
. . . but his piggy bank may be near empty and what else does he know how to do?

BBD

work in the L.L.Bean dog bed factory

swoop
12-21-2007, 10:26 PM
well maybe the thing ball is genius about is that we're talking about him and his brand.

Louis
12-21-2007, 10:41 PM
He's going to do it for Tugboat.

Actually, I can now reveal the truth:

Tyler's wife forced him to choose, and Tugboat lost. The stress drove Tyler batty and he lost his moral compass. There you have it - the whole story.

saab2000
12-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Let the man ride. He's done his time.

Blue Jays
12-21-2007, 11:27 PM
Tyler Hamilton should ride for whomever he wishes and let his record & race finishes speak for him.

Steve Hampsten
12-22-2007, 01:02 AM
'member Le Groupement?

Buy the jerseys early, imho

BumbleBeeDave
12-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Tyler Hamilton should ride for whomever he wishes and let his record & race finishes speak for him.

. . . he's taking a risk trying to come back at his age. Yes, he's got a record of finishes that speaks for him. But that's tainted as it stands now. Of course he is trying to redeem himself and prove something, but if he doesn't do that fairly quickly, it will simply cast an "I told you so . . . " type of cloud on what he's got left. The assumption will be easier to make that he WAS doping because now without it he can't post any results . . . And don't forget, Ball is the guy who says, "Win or you're fired!"

BBD

Fixed
12-22-2007, 08:51 AM
he didn't do anything that his peers wouldn't do if they had the money
but bro isn't he like 47 years old now
cheers imho

mike p
12-22-2007, 09:00 AM
The whole Rock Racing team is a train wreck in the making. To many big ego's, comeback's, ready to retire, should retire, last chance's. If it works I'll sell all my bikes give the proceeds to fixed who can feed the poor and I'll join the priesthood with fat rob!

Mike

BumbleBeeDave
12-22-2007, 10:44 AM
The whole Rock Racing team is a train wreck in the making. . . .

. . . Should we start a pool on when they will self-destruct and Ball will pull the plug and move on to Kart racing or some such? . . .

In the meantime . . . COOL team kit! And will they sell temporary tattoos so I can look just like them? ;)

BBD

Bill Bove
12-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Cool. I'm glad he's coming back and I wish him well.

mike p
12-22-2007, 11:09 AM
I haven't seen the new kit that I understand will come in 3 levels, Team member, team member wannabe, and my cat. overweight team member wannabe. I'm trying to find someone that can do their tats on my face.

Mike

. . . Should we start a pool on when they will self-destruct and Ball will pull the plug and move on to Kart racing or some such? . . .

In the meantime . . . COOL team kit! And will they sell temporary tattoos so I can look just like them? ;)

BBD

SWorks4me
12-22-2007, 11:30 AM
The whole Rock Racing team is a train wreck in the making. To many big ego's, comeback's, ready to retire, should retire, last chance's. If it works I'll sell all my bikes give the proceeds to fixed who can feed the poor and I'll join the priesthood with fat rob!

Mike

although you may be correct to some extent, I really think American road racing needs a bit more "personality" atmo. This my explode...every sport needs some flash...i am still wishing Cipo would sign on. atmo

personally i am waiting to see the umbrella girls Ball comes up with.

maybe Jessica Simpson post pro-active ATMO!

e-RICHIE
12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
although you may be correct to some extent, I really think American road racing needs a bit more "personality" atmo. This my explode...every sport needs some flash...i am still wishing Cipo would sign on. atmo

i just signed with rock racing atmo.
don't agitate me.

Fat Robert
12-22-2007, 11:38 AM
ball may be a nutjob

but i hope these guys do well

a few seem like they need to make peace with old demons

maybe this will be a piece of the puzzle

if decanio was halfway fit, would this be the team for him or what?

'cept maybe he would have to sort some stuff out with tyler and botero

obtuse
12-22-2007, 11:47 AM
pro-bike racing is pro-wrestling. rock racing are the bad guys.

jerk

e-RICHIE
12-22-2007, 11:51 AM
pro-bike racing is pro-wrestling. rock racing are the bad guys.

jerk
don't blaspheme my new team and best friends atmo.
goin' bikin'.

stevep
12-22-2007, 11:56 AM
i just signed with rock racing atmo.
don't agitate me.

e-richie..riding a cannondale.
id pay to see that.

( but not a lot )

e-RICHIE
12-22-2007, 12:00 PM
id pay to see that.

( but not a lot )
after this 'cross season you still have money atmo?
i own you.

stevep
12-22-2007, 12:04 PM
after this 'cross season you still have money atmo?
i own you.

i owe you hard.
i will take it out of dugans hide that he busted his elbow and my cash flow dried up.

e-RICHIE
12-22-2007, 12:08 PM
i owe you hard.
i will take it out of dugans hide that he busted his elbow and my cash flow dried up.
do me a favor -
empty the ashtray in my escalade
so i can get on with my ride atmo.

Dr. Doofus
12-22-2007, 12:28 PM
now that e-ritchie is on rock racing

he fires everybody

then divides the loot three ways to sign johnson, page, and spinelli to fat deals

who needs fidea?

stevep
12-22-2007, 12:39 PM
now that e-ritchie is on rock racing

he fires everybody

then divides the loot three ways to sign johnson, page, and spinelli to fat deals

who needs fidea?

he promised me a big house in the country...

hadda do a 5 race schedule in 08.
jayssus, he's a hard arse.

WadePatton
12-22-2007, 12:51 PM
id pay to see that.

dammit, 'bout choked on my crackers there. :eek:

mike p
12-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Don't get me wrong I hope they do succeed, but the chemistry and karma seem all wrong. But who knows now that e-ritchie has signed on and twizzlers is on board as a major sponsor!

Mike

swoop
12-22-2007, 04:13 PM
if the team bus were on fire and you had to chose between saving rock racing or getting poked in the eye... which would you do?

seriously.. just by living where i live i'm friends with a bunch of the guys.. some are actual friends and some are just friendly faces... rahsaan, sergio, rudy, mariano, sterling, justin... these are really nice people to the core. good kids.

i feel so conflicted over rock.. because i think this is a great sport for young rich guys to invest and and try and make sexy and accessible...

and i admire that mike ball made himself millions from nothing... and he's got feelings too...

but all i see is one big lost opportunity for the sport... i see chaos and attitude and vulgar stupidity and lots of spinal tap moments.. but i also see a guy willing to spend money and he can do it his way. its not like smaller teams don't have a doped rider or two...

so, yeah conflicted. i like that friends are able to make a decent living racing bikes but from the outside.. you know.. he can fire all of them at will for no reason and ..

well... it is what it is.

i'm glad to see tyler back. what his life is or becomes is only about him. from what i know.. most folks have done at least one thing wrong at some point in their life...

all i know... is i just did a nice 5.5 hours and the whole time that song.. cuckoo for cocoa puffs was stuck in my head on repeat. i kept laughing out loud at the thought of some of the recent threads ....

i think people find drama entertaining. i think ball turned drama into millions of dollars and he's bringing his circus to the sport. it will garner attention.
the problem is, i think in the end he sees all attention as good.. and i think with the best of intentions he might leave this little sport of ours in a worse place.
he is commiting a lot of his own money and a lot of his marketing budget...
and so i'm just hoping for some great american racing... if people find the sport via drama that's fine.... i just hope they get addicted for the beauty of it. and i hope cats like our justin, and rahsaan, and ivan... all have a chance to shine.

and i'm inviting all comers out for a ride when tour of cali makes its way to socal.

e-RICHIE
12-22-2007, 04:17 PM
...and i'm inviting all comers out for a ride when tour of cali makes its way to socal.
swoop's is the new provo atmo.
i believe.

swoop
12-22-2007, 04:27 PM
dude.. i have the believe tyler shorts. i wear them with my dopers suck jersey to mesmerize.

Dr. Doofus
12-22-2007, 04:48 PM
this is rock

and totally pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWvBbqpD2Y8&feature=related

DarrenCT
12-22-2007, 05:08 PM
yo these guys are funny

check this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpT-SyRaa1I&feature=related

swoop
12-22-2007, 05:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhYPJJmK44E&NR=1

120 mill a year....
1 buck for every hair on my person creeped out by the dude's vibe.

e-RICHIE
12-22-2007, 05:15 PM
i'd hit him atmo.

Dave B
12-22-2007, 05:22 PM
They need Karl Bordine!

He is all man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPUrP67j1G4

SWorks4me
12-22-2007, 08:10 PM

120 mill a year....

coming to an Athens twilight near you atmo

aLexis
12-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Will there be an Athens Twilight next year?

jerk
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
that guy sucks. i do really wish ball got his own joke....you know like vince mcmahon.

DarrenCT
12-22-2007, 09:44 PM

120 mill a year....

i bet that dude gets lucky with all those girls atmo

swoop
12-22-2007, 09:51 PM
i bet that dude gets lucky with all those girls atmo

preface: being sued for something and being guilty of something aren't the same thing. so, i'm not suggesting any wrong doing.. i'm just suggesting a google search can follow you around for a long time. cached info is a tough thing.

Cary Ford
12-22-2007, 09:55 PM

He's right about one thing... Jessica Alba does have the sweetest *** in Hwd.

swoop
12-22-2007, 09:57 PM
He's right about one thing... Jessica Alba does have the sweetest *** in Hwd.

you would know. hey.. trancas or south super easy tomorrow?

DarrenCT
12-22-2007, 10:08 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4581/jessicaalba009ak4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

flux
12-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I like what Ball is doing. He is giving the dopers a home. There are plenty of dirty riders in the States hiding behind the faces of their clean teammates. Rock Racing simply isn't being all girl-style and gay-vague about everything. I respect that attitude.

Fivethumbs
12-23-2007, 01:39 AM
I was riding south on Topanga Canyon in West San Fernando Valley not too long ago and I saw David Clinger out for a ride. I didn't know it was him at first. I just saw another cyclis, so I said "Hi". He looked at me in a way that made me think he was surprised I spoke to him , then said "Hi" back and rode off. I wonder if he wishes he could turn back the clock.

RIHans
12-23-2007, 02:06 AM
Rock Racing is gonna have some faces in the press. I kinda think that is what they are looking for. They will be making some press. What Rock and Republic wants...Press.

Signing Tyler gets some. Plus, he is (was) a super competitor, I see Tyler making a big splash soon. Positive, we hope.

Ahhh, poor choice of words.

Tyler, not positive, kick butt, clean as a whistle.

sailorboy
12-23-2007, 05:47 AM

120 mill a year....
holy crap, I've missed a lot over here for the past 3 years...maybe I should stay in Japan

obtuse
12-23-2007, 09:35 AM
I like what Ball is doing. He is giving the dopers a home. There are plenty of dirty riders in the States hiding behind the faces of their clean teammates. Rock Racing simply isn't being all girl-style and gay-vague about everything. I respect that attitude.

it is funny how blatant he is. but it would be even funnier if he came out and fired people in public and made them do push ups and stuff as punishment if they screw up a lead out or something. they are the "bad guys" of domestic cycling and some people love the bad guys.

jerk

Fixed
12-23-2007, 09:44 AM
bro what is t.h. gettin for the gig ?

cheers

SWorks4me
12-23-2007, 10:25 AM
it is funny how blatant he is. but it would be even funnier if he came out and fired people in public and made them do push ups and stuff as punishment if they screw up a lead out or something. they are the "bad guys" of domestic cycling and some people love the bad guys.

jerk

Ball: "gimme your effin bike! you missed the lead out too many times this month, walk your a55 home!" Oh,and gimme that uniform, i don't want my shi7 out on ebay funding your "vitamins"."

Dr. Doofus
12-23-2007, 10:38 AM
the sleaze

the money

the drugs

the chicks

the bad guys

the riders

(will get #3 and be known as #1 and #6)

swoop
12-23-2007, 11:00 AM
well.. ball and haldane are both with me or against me kind of guys. they sure didn't take to well to sebastian heado when he asked to ride for colavita because the guys there he could speak argentinean with rather than sit in a cone of silence on rock. their response was to fire him and terminate his working papers which meant.. deportation.

Dave B
12-23-2007, 11:12 AM
it would be a great thing if this works.

If it doesn't...well at least a few riders might get another chance to shine.

Clinger comes to mind...I hope he kicks major booty this year!

SWorks4me
12-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Clinger comes to mind...I hope he kicks major booty this year!

Swoop--

any news on Clinger? Is he in shape? Is his head in the game?

BumbleBeeDave
12-23-2007, 01:24 PM
I was riding south on Topanga Canyon in West San Fernando Valley not too long ago and I saw David Clinger out for a ride. I didn't know it was him at first. I just saw another cyclist, so I said "Hi". He looked at me in a way that made me think he was surprised I spoke to him , then said "Hi" back and rode off. I wonder if he wishes he could turn back the clock.

. . . but with that full face tat, how could you NOT recognize him! :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, he fits in with that team perfectly. Ball gives every indication of being the kind of guy who wants as much attention as possible and Clinger would certainly help him in that direction.

BBD

flux
12-23-2007, 01:39 PM
"They got the bombs and they got the palm trees.

They got the weed and they got the taxi's."

swoop
12-23-2007, 01:44 PM
. . . but with that full face tat, how could you NOT recognize him! :rolleyes: ;)

Seriously, he fits in with that team perfectly. Ball gives every indication of being the kind of guy who wants as much attention as possible and Clinger would certainly help him in that direction.

BBD

they dumped clinger last year.. they never game him a contract. left him more or less homeless, bikeless and penniless, and precarious. i don't know why they keep referring to him.
he's killing it out on the simi ride and looking for a team and has done some personal work.. to be respectfully circumspect.

one guy on the team has a lot of tats. he's a nice person certainly and someone to watch. you can read into that what you want... and you should read into it.

e-RICHIE
12-23-2007, 01:46 PM
"They got the bombs and they got the palm trees.

They got the weed and they got the taxi's."
I got the motive which is money
and the body which is dead atmo.
Chief Gillespie

Tom Byrnes
12-23-2007, 02:36 PM
one guy on the team has a lot of tats. he's a nice person certainly and someone to watch. you can read into that what you want... and you should read into it.

That guy may get R & R more attention than Michael Ball wants.

swoop
12-23-2007, 02:39 PM
That guy may get R & R more attention than Michael Ball wants.

i'm just happy he's not dragging your club down with all the speculation around him.

Tom Byrnes
12-23-2007, 02:49 PM
i'm just happy he's not dragging your club down with all the speculation around him.

Us, too.

swoop
12-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Us, too.

you doing the robert nam/old tz new years day romp/parade ride up to las posas?

Tom Byrnes
12-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Swoop -

you doing the robert nam/old tz new years day romp/parade ride up to las posas?

Possibly. I may have a family gathering that I have to attend that would prevent that ride.

I rode my Sachs today. What a bike. I remember that you saw and admired it at the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix last summer. If you would like to borrow it for a week, let me know.

Tom

swoop
12-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Swoop -

Possibly. I may have a family gathering that I have to attend that would prevent that ride.

I rode my Sachs today. What a bike. I remember that you saw and admired it at the Manhattan Beach Grand Prix last summer. If you would like to borrow it for a week, let me know.

Tom

its still a vivid memory for me too (that bike was hot). wow, that's really kind. i'm afraid i'm already clear that its the perfect bike and just can't delay gratification. so riding yours would be a kind of biker's equivalent to locked in syndrome with jessica alba as nurse.

Steelhead
01-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Here is some more drivel from Michael Ball:

There has, however, been a negative response from equipment sponsors. Ball specifically pointed to wheel manufacturer HED, which backed out of its sponsorship agreement after Rock added Hamilton.

"HED left specifically because of Tyler being on the team," Ball said. "They were giving us a full ride, and we were going to work with them and help them build their brand as much as ours.

"Nope. See ya. Gone. So be it. I'll go out and buy that company and do my own wheels. I'll make my own wheels. I don't need your wheels. I'll make better wheels. I'll make cooler wheels, that's for sure."

"We just got another phone call from another sponsor who is wavering. And go! See ya. I don't care. I'll buy all the equipment. I'll make my own. Next! And guess what? I'll make it better, cooler, and I'll take your market share. Next! If that's the way you really feel about this sport, and it's just an opportunity, then you shouldn't be in the sport. There's more to it than the opportunity. Absolutely I'm in it for the opportunity, but there is more to it. There are people, there are lives. So no, you can go and disappear, HED, but guess what? Tyler is still racing for me."

Representatives from HED did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I guess the guy not only designs fancy jeans, but he engineers carbon wheels, too. Talented. :rolleyes:

J.Greene
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I guess the guy not only designs fancy jeans, but he engineers carbon wheels, too. Talented. :rolleyes:

It's all treaed fabric.

JG

regularguy412
01-08-2008, 09:42 AM
It's all treaed fabric.

JG

Now wouldn't _THAT_ be cool -- denim-colored carbon wheels. Gives a whole new meaning to the term 'Wrangler'. :-)

:beer:
Mike in AR

BumbleBeeDave
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
. . . he's going to run into a situation where all his bluster and money doesn't get him his way. Guess we'll see if that situation is in cycling. I suppose fi (and when?) one of his rides gets busted (again?) for doping, he'll go start his own ProTour . . .

BBD

Vancouverdave
01-08-2008, 10:09 AM
And now he's asking Landis to his camp as a possible "advisory" hire.

e-RICHIE
01-08-2008, 10:11 AM
And now he's asking Landis to his camp as a possible "advisory" hire.
he wants people with balls atmo.

J.Greene
01-08-2008, 10:12 AM
he wants people with balls atmo.

Doesn't testosterone shrink them?

JG

Dave B
01-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Doesn't testosterone shrink them?

JG

Ask Roger!

swoop
01-08-2008, 11:20 AM
well, they gave clinger a contract.

word is in about three weeks there's some fairly big news coming about one the riders.

Samster
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
he wants people with balls atmo.disqualifies lance.