PDA

View Full Version : Way way OT: Maple or Ebony board on new axe?

Wayne77
12-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Ok fellow gee-tar players. I'm gettin' a new axe built. Maple or Ebony fingerboard?

I trust the opinions of those who play and ride over those who just play. I've had mostly rosewood (Usually Gibson but I want to get me some Fender vibe) in the past and want to try something different. I prefer the looks of maple but I hear ebony is easier to take care of? Tone wise aren't they pretty much the same? I've heard of maple shrinking in dry climates and then the frets start poking out from the sides. Is this true?

This will be on a strat-style guitar with single coils - alder body (maybe swamp ash), maple neck.

Fixed
12-21-2007, 05:56 PM
http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swampkaster/swampkaster_t.htm
cheers bro

smudgecycles
12-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Ebony fo sho. IMO, ebony has always felt better and for some unknown reason, physically warmer on my fingertips. I think all the guitars I've owned with a maple fretboard have been lacquered, which may explain it. Anywho, if you're picky about the look but hate spending time cleaning, ebony is great for that too since you can let gunk build up on the fret edges for years before anyone notices it.

ti_boi
12-21-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm into ebony.....it has a certain percussive slap and a slickness and hardness that wears well. This one is a 'rare bird' so to speak...Oh, and....ROCK ON WAYNE! :cool:

Ray
12-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I'll be the dissenting voice and say maple. I always liked the smoothness satiny feel and hardness of ebony on Les Paul types of guitars with loads of sustain, and maybe on ES-335 (BB King's old axe, semi-hollow body, good hybrid). But there's a particular type of slipperiness to a maple board that I always preferred on strats and teles. Funkier feel went along with the funkier sound. Probably because that's what I had on the ones I owned or played a lot and I associate the feel of those fretboards with those instruments. I can't claim a better reason than that. Either beats rosewood, imho, so you can't go wrong, but I'd go with maple for a strat style guitar.

-Ray

ti_boi
12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Make sure if you custom build maple...you get a really hard birdseye.....that'll be nice! Agree on the Fender comment Ray. Maple is nice. :beer:

Btw....as we all respect a great bike builder...I know a fantastic Telecaster/Stratocaster Builder...."Rob" at Fret Tech...is amazing. And reasonable. He can make you anything you want and he does it right!

www.frettech.com

BumbleBeeDave
12-21-2007, 07:29 PM
. . . play a part? Is ebony a harder wood? Would it resist scratches and wear better? I admit a don't know cr@p about guitars. Just wondering . . .

BBD

smudgecycles
12-21-2007, 07:35 PM
. . . play a part? Is ebony a harder wood? Would it resist scratches and wear better? I admit a don't know cr@p about guitars. Just wondering . . .

BBD

I don't know if ebony is more or less hard than maple. It likely varies anyway. I've never had an ebony fretboard that I didn't like, maybe I've been lucky. I've had a couple of guitars with crap rosewood on the fretboard though. On my Taylor, either I got lucky or they did a great job of filling the pores.

Ray
12-21-2007, 07:40 PM

BBD
Yeah, but its sort of like a broken in Brooks saddle, there's something cool about a worn in maple fretboard. If it gets bad enough, maybe not so much, but a lot of VERY valuable vintage strats and teles have fretboards that almost look scalloped around the first few frets. I've never played one that really messed up the feel. Of course, if you use super hard maple, this takes a lot longer too. Ebony can wear down too, but it takes a lot longer and it isn't as visually obvious.

-Ray

wasfast
12-21-2007, 07:45 PM
...I can't believe I'm answering this on the Serotta list. I built custom electrics for 20 years if that helps any.

As with any choice like this, it depends. Tonally, harder, closed grain woods are brighter tonally. Maple is the brightest but ebony is also bright. Both have more apparent top end than rosewood.

However, you can't isolate fingerboards from the rest of the instrument, including neck construction, neck woods, bridge, nut, and body woods. From a tone standpoint, it's a system and has to be treated as one.

Ebony is left unfinished, just has oil (bore oil is my preference, used for clarinets for example) applied a couple times a year. Maple will require a finish of some sort or it will be visually dirty in months. The appearance factor and simplier finish work were Leo Fender's original reason for switching to rosewood in the early 60's.

Regarding the fret end exposure, this is an issue with any non bound fingerboard potentially. It's a combination of the wood's moisture content when the frets were finished and what environment it goes into. Low humidity levels like the midwest and east experience will definitely cause the wood to shrink, exposing the ends. You can have the ends redressed at that time (lowest humidity) and you won't have the issue again most likely.

If you have the opportunity to play several of the same guitar side by side, do so. Every instrument is unique to some extent. Play them unplugged and you'll hear the differences, provided the setup is playable (not always so on production instruments).

Good luck.

conorb
12-21-2007, 08:30 PM
With a strat style body/construction and single coils I would personally go with maple.

But that's just me.

Get what you like. :rolleyes:

conorb

ergott
12-21-2007, 08:37 PM
It's kind of like asking us what downtube you should spec on a bike. Gotta look a the bigger picture here. One guy who frequents this place like the word gestalt.

Anyway, I would think that "feel" matters more if you play frettless bass. You posers with frets need not worry :p

rounder
12-21-2007, 08:37 PM
The good guitar makers use ebony on their best guitars. Also, ebony is one of the densest woods out their and most likely would have the least amount of wear over time. I was at a cabinet maker's shop and held a big piece of ebony...the thing was really heavy.

Wayne77
12-22-2007, 12:30 AM
http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swampkaster/swampkaster_t.htm
cheers bro

I dig that headstock! Thanks for the link. I saw a Tele in one of your other posts. Was it a "Swampcaster"?

Wayne77
12-22-2007, 01:46 AM
I'm into ebony.....it has a certain percussive slap and a slickness and hardness that wears well. This one is a 'rare bird' so to speak...Oh, and....ROCK ON WAYNE! :cool:

Wow. Tell me that's your guitar. I love the inlays. Someday a guitar like that will be mine. Oh yes. it will be mine. Thanks for the comments/suggestions and the frettech link - yet another builder to consider..

Smudgecycles: thanks for your input. I have a Gibson with rosewood and it definitely picks up a lot of gunk. Which reminds me I probably need to clean it again. It's been awhile...

Ray: I completely agree about the aged maple look on Fenders. There's a vibe there / something so "right" about it.

Wasfast: Thanks for the scoop - it's great to hear from someone with your experience. Just curious - what types of guitars / or guitar line did you work on?

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts. Which other builders/shops would you recommend for a strat-style guitar in the 700-800 range? (wish I could afford more) So far I have looked into Carvin and Warmoth. The Frettech link looks intriguing too...

Ray
12-22-2007, 02:14 AM
If you have the opportunity to play several of the same guitar side by side, do so. Every instrument is unique to some extent. Play them unplugged and you'll hear the differences...
That's the truest thing I've seen in this thread. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a music shop and played a handful of IDENTICAL instruments and one or two would always stand out as having a better feel/sound. I haven't been that into guitars for several years and I'm sure production methods and QC have probably improved for production instruments, but with old Fenders, Gibsons, Gretsches (sp?), etc, they could be all over the place. When we recently moved from a big house into a small condo, I sold my electric setup and my old electric/acoustic and bought a new Taylor acoustic. And the same thing happened looking at the acoustics. I played about ten acoustics - different brands and different price points and the one I bought just felt and sounded right pretty much from the minute I picked it up. The others were fine, but just didn't quite have it. It was far from the top of the price range too.

Of course, if you're having a custom made, none of this applies :rolleyes: I've never gone that route, but I'm sure its like buying a custom bike - if you and the builder understand each other, are on the same page, etc, it should be great. And, if not, well the possible downside probably isn't as great as with a bike since you don't have to SIT on the damn thing all day, but it'll feel right or not.

Someday a guitar like that will be mine. Oh yes. it will be mine.
Good lord man. Tell me that's NOT where your handle comes from. It's your name, right? :banana: :banana:

Good luck.

-Ray

Fivethumbs
12-22-2007, 02:19 AM
I've owned more guitars than I can even count. They all been Strat style as I don't like the 24.75" scale of Gibsons. I've owned U.S. made and Japanese Strats, U.S and Japanese Jacksons (Dinkys), U.S. and Japanese Charvels, a Japanese Ibanez and one Carvin. Plus I've built a bunch of guitars for myself, family members and friends using Warmoth parts. Now, the only guitars I own are the Warmoth ones I built. The Warmoth guitars have been head and shoulders above every other guitar I've owned. I personally would not own another Carvin. I've had fingerboards made from maple (both finished and unfinished), rosewood (Brazilian and Indian) and ebony, some of them scalloped. I've had necks where the back of the neck is bare wood and necks that are finished. You know what? I can't tell you which one is best. They all have their positives and have tones all their own. I personally don't use finished maple fingerboards unless the fretboard is scalloped because the finish causes my fingers to drag during string bending. The maple and ebony were the brightest and the rosewood the warmest. If you really want a Strat vibe you're going to get the most Strat vibe from maple but ebony is a great wood for rock and metal.

smudgecycles
12-22-2007, 02:40 AM
If you have the opportunity to play several of the same guitar side by side, do so. Every instrument is unique to some extent. Play them unplugged and you'll hear the differences, provided the setup is playable (not always so on production instruments).

Good luck.

Ditto that. If you're buying something off the shelf, that's the most important thing you can do.

I still think about a couple of guitars I owned. I had a '78 Les Paul Custom that had the coolest tone. I think that was a weird time for Gibson. This particular guitar (and a lot of others of the time with full paint) had three piece maple tops and three piece maple necks. It wasn't the most playable guitar I've ever owned but the tone was outrageous. It had a metallic, sitar like quality to it.

I also had a PRS Custom 24 that sounded incredible and was utterly gorgeous but there was a dead spot on the G string at the 12th fret. It had no sustain whatsoever but only on the octave G and only on the 12th fret. Detuned 1/2 or a whole step, no problem. I never figured it out. It was absolutely the most playable guitar I've ever owned and I could completely dive the whammy and it would pop right back into tune every time. I'm a big fan of the 25" scale.

Ray
12-22-2007, 03:15 AM
I still think about a couple of guitars I owned.
Ohboy, if we're gonna reminisce...

A few failed experiments I don't even remember the details of.

A very old, pre-CBS fender mustang was my first elelctric. Short scale. Before they were cool. But Billy Gibbons was a friend of the friend I sold it to and he played it and really liked it! I think he may have even come to own it at one time, but I'm not sure about that. Then Kurt Cobain came along and made it valuable, but it was long gone by then.

'68 Martin D-28 with Brazillian Rosewood. Incredible guitar. Had it until I stopped playing enough to be able to handle it. Then sold it for about 10 times what I paid and got an easier to play Ovation. I know, a frickin CRIME!

'79 Ibanez Les Paul knock-off. I should have NEVER sold this guitar. It had a third humbucker stuck in there for undetermined reasons and had a slight curve to the body where it met the neck on the top side - so it wasn't a total knockoff, but it played like a LP. It was heavy as ten bricks and could sustain a note from '79 until now. It also had a cool smokey gray/black finish that looked waaaaay better than it sounds. I LOVED that guitar but it was an Ibanez and not cool enough and I was young and stupid and sold if for three or four guitars that never came close to matching it. Back when I still thought the right equipment would actually make me sound better. It did, but that was the one. What an idiot.

'60-something Gibson Firebird. Not the cool reverse body firebird that Johnny Winter played, but pretty cool anyway. Garage sale find.

'73 Strat. From the time Leo sold out to CBS until sometime much later than '73, these were considered to be total *****. I loved it though. Had it for many years until I moved into a place with strange wiring that made that thing buzz and hum like crazy. Put up with it for a while, but eventually sold it. MAPLE fretboard, of course. Five position switch for those funky, out of phase, sounds that totally defined the instrument. By the time I sold it (maybe around 2000-2001 or so?), it had become 'vintage' and was actually worth some decent dollars - I guess the ones that lasted weren't considered garbage anymore.

'90 something Ibanez ES-335 knockoff. Great feel, nice sound. For the older, mellower me :cool: Not all that much personality, but a good versatile electric for someone who had just one. Bought it at a time I wasn't playing that much, though, so never got the fullest out of it.

Now I'm down to a nearly new Taylor acoustic. I don't play much or even remotely well anymore - don't even have callouses at the moment. I never set the world on fire technically, but had a decent bluesy feel that got me into a few clubs and bands along the way. Can't justify the space for an electric and amp unless I was actually playing it a fair amount and I haven't played much for almost 10 years now (about since I got into bikes....hmmmm). Maybe I'll get back to it in my dotage, but for now an acoustic'll have to do.

-Ray

smudgecycles
12-22-2007, 03:37 AM
'68 Martin D-28 with Brazillian Rosewood. Incredible guitar. Had it until I stopped playing enough to be able to handle it. Then sold it for about 10 times what I paid and got an easier to play Ovation. I know, a frickin CRIME!

-Ray

:crap:

There was a five minute window when I thought it would be cool to own an Ovation. They play nice but where's the bass?

All I've got left is a Taylor too. It was somewhat fortuitous for me when I bought it. I shipped a custom made observed trials bike up to RI for a competition and UPS broke it...go figure. This was back when they used to actually pay out the insurance you bought when they broke your stuff. They cut me a check for $2K, tell me to keep the bike and with the sale of a different Les Paul (studio) I became the owner of a brand new K14C. I had buyers remorse on the drive home from picking it up and it stuck in the back of my head that the shop owner told me to bring it back if I didn't like it. I got it home, sat on the floor next to my bed and pulled it out to play it in my home for the first time. The case lid snapped shut as I was pulling the guitar to my lap and put a pretty sweet ding in the top and I knew it would be mine forever...or at least until we have a fire.

ti_boi
12-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Wow. Tell me that's your guitar. I love the inlays. Someday a guitar like that will be mine. Oh yes. it will be mine. Thanks for the comments/suggestions and the frettech link - yet another builder to consider..

Smudgecycles: thanks for your input. I have a Gibson with rosewood and it definitely picks up a lot of gunk. Which reminds me I probably need to clean it again. It's been awhile...

Ray: I completely agree about the aged maple look on Fenders. There's a vibe there / something so "right" about it.

Wasfast: Thanks for the scoop - it's great to hear from someone with your experience. Just curious - what types of guitars / or guitar line did you work on?

Thanks everyone else for your thoughts. Which other builders/shops would you recommend for a strat-style guitar in the 700-800 range? (wish I could afford more) So far I have looked into Carvin and Warmoth. The Frettech link looks intriguing too...

Wayne......Frettech is right around the corner from these guys: http://cyclesportonline.com/index.cfm :cool: Rob believes that you can make an amazing strat/tele out of a simple alder body....you don't need to go in and spend big on things like swamp ash....he is a whizz with electronics and will make sure that part of the job is done right...for the money you mentioned though you can go first class!

Here is a guitar that Rob at Frettech built....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YggLMaICuWk

Fixed
12-22-2007, 09:09 AM
bro we are a like in ways other than bikes and how cool is that /
cheers :beer:

Ray
12-22-2007, 09:15 AM
:crap:

There was a five minute window when I thought it would be cool to own an Ovation. They play nice but where's the bass?

All I've got left is a Taylor too. It was somewhat fortuitous for me ....
I actually never met an Ovation I liked until that one. I knew I had a lot of value in the Martin and I was never again likely to be able to play it well enough to justify owning it. So I was looking for something less valuable and easier to play. I play a bunch of guitars over a few days and that one was a well worn 25th Anniversary Ovation that felt and sounded really nice. I was still messing around with a four track recorder in those days so I also liked the ability to plug it in. The Ovation was a good guitar, just not in the same league as the Martin. The Taylor I have now isn't either but it sounds more like a classic acoustic, doesn't have a bunch of wasted circuitry, and sits on my leg a lot more comfortably than the Ovation ever did. And its more than all the guitar I need at this point in my playing.

Great story about your Taylor - I hope you still like it.

-Ray

93legendti
12-22-2007, 09:35 AM
wasfast is correct. In addition, fret size, fretboard radius, finish, scale, nut material and neck width will have as much as an effect on tone, if not more, than ebony vs. maple.

As far as longevity, you will NOT play this guitar as much as Clapton's Blackie or Willie Nelson's Martin and they did not wear out. Even if your sweat is particularly acidic and corrosive and if you play this guitar 4 hours a day for 20 years, with basic care and neck attention as needed, it will outlast you.

The questions to ask re: wood chocies in a guitar are: what kind of tone are you going for? Are you looking for a vintage vibe, modern vibe, hot rod or super-strat? Is weight a concern? What body woods, bridge and nut materials will you use and which pickups? Will the guitar be used thru a high powered fender amp for sparkly cleans, low powered vox amp or high gain marshall/boogie?

justinf
12-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Wayne, for a strat in your price range I think the American-made G&Ls beat the pants off of anything else, excepting perhaps a nice 80s japanese Fender. I have an ASAT and an old F-100. They are very consistent and sound great.

Big Dan
12-22-2007, 10:36 AM
If I'm recording something I prefer my Strat w/ maple fingerboard.
To play live, I go for one of my rosewood Strats.
I'm silly like that.

:cool:

Wayne77
12-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Good lord man. Tell me that's NOT where your handle comes from. It's your name, right? :banana: :banana:

Good luck.

-Ray

Yes, it is my name - but it's a quote I sympathize with much in life :)

Ray
12-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Yes, it is my name - but it's a quote I sympathize with much in life :)
I lean a bit more heavily on "I'm not wooorrrttthhhyyy, I'm not worthy", but to each his own :cool:

As long as you have Tia Carrere stashed back in the basement pad, it's all good.

-Ray

Wayne77
12-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Ohboy, if we're gonna reminisce...

My guitar ownership and experience doesn't have nearly the pedigree that most who have posted here does but here goes anyway...

Started playing in '85 at the age of 13. I wanted to be like Eddie so I bought a red Kramer Stryker with a Floyd Rose and one humbucker in the bridge position. Parents always wanted me to learn the piano but I just wanted to get the girls. (I wonder how many shy teenage boys picked up the electric guitar for that reason?) Took lessons from a guy that looked like just like C.C Deville (though I despised Poison). He never bothered to teach me anything of real value, but he did teach me how to shred, or at least look like a shredder. First song I learned was Cinderella's "No Body's Fool". Acid washed jeans, big hair, levi jacket with "Metallica" colored in black marker on the back, a guitar and I was ready to go. Those were the days. It's a memory I usually try to repress, but oh well...

87 or 88 white Greg Howe Fender HM Strat. Not that great. A Fender "shredder guitar". Wouldn't stay in tune.

88 flouresent yellow Ibanez RG 750. Another total shredder guitar. This one actually played pretty nice for what it was intended for.

90-something Gibson Les Paul studio (borrowed for a few years from a friend)

90-something Gibson NightHawk. Completely swore off the whole shredder schtick by this time. I still have this one. It's not a 'paul, but it gets a veriety of unique tones, it's light, plays well, and it looks very nice. Translucent red flamed maple top, parallelogram inlays, full neck, body, and headstock binding.

Anyway, I haven't done the band thing for a long time now. Playing for me is just something to do in my free time and to relax when I can't go ride my bike. The last real amp I had was a 50 watt Crate Vintage Club with 4 10's. It was OK I guess. Now I just play through a Line6 which is fine for noodling around at home. Once I get a strat knock-off, my next purchase will be a nice Fender tweed amp of some sort. I don't know which one yet. We'll see...

Wayne77
12-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Wayne......Frettech is right around the corner from these guys: http://cyclesportonline.com/index.cfm :cool: Rob believes that you can make an amazing strat/tele out of a simple alder body....you don't need to go in and spend big on things like swamp ash....he is a whizz with electronics and will make sure that part of the job is done right...for the money you mentioned though you can go first class!

Here is a guitar that Rob at Frettech built....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YggLMaICuWk

ooooh, nice sound! I especially like the sound of that Gibson pickup in the neck position. This clip is one of my favorites of the others you posted. very nice setup.

Wayne77
12-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Wayne, for a strat in your price range I think the American-made G&Ls beat the pants off of anything else, excepting perhaps a nice 80s japanese Fender. I have an ASAT and an old F-100. They are very consistent and sound great.

Thanks, I really hadn't considered G&L. I'll check 'em out.

Wayne77
12-22-2007, 12:26 PM
bro we are a like in ways other than bikes and how cool is that /
cheers :beer:

Amen Brother!! :beer:

Fixed
12-22-2007, 12:26 PM
bro i wanted be this cat bad when i was a kid and i got close imho :beer:

Wayne77
12-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Snipped: I've owned U.S. made and Japanese Strats, U.S and Japanese Jacksons (Dinkys), U.S. and Japanese Charvels, a Japanese Ibanez and one Carvin. Plus I've built a bunch of guitars for myself, family members and friends using Warmoth parts. Now, the only guitars I own are the Warmoth ones I built. The Warmoth guitars have been head and shoulders above every other guitar I've owned. I personally would not own another Carvin.

Just curious, since Carvin is on my list, can you elaborate on your Carvin experience? I've played two (a DC135 and a Bolt) and I love they way the necks feel and even the standard pickups, to me are a step above what come std in American strats.

They've certainly been around for a long time, so they kind of remind me of the "serotta" of guitars since they offer custom builds but their production is much higher than most custom builders. The cachet is perhaps not quite what you'd get with a smaller boutique builder.

ti_boi
12-22-2007, 01:32 PM
Snipped:

Just curious, since Carvin is on my list, can you elaborate on your Carvin experience? I've played two (a DC135 and a Bolt) and I love they way the necks feel and even the standard pickups, to me are a step above what come std in American strats.

They've certainly been around for a long time, so they kind of remind me of the "serotta" of guitars since they offer custom builds but their production is much higher than most custom builders. The cachet is perhaps not quite what you'd get with a smaller boutique builder.

Carvin made some really nice stuff in the 80's....they were big on ebony fingerboards and through the body necks....I would not equate them to Serotta....of builders though....that would have to be Paul Reed Smith or Suhr....among others.

I think Carvin shapes are OK, but more in line with less classic shapes....the nice thing about a Warmoth kit http://www.warmoth.com/

and some good pickup choices is you stay with that classic usable shape....like a tele or a strat....but get exactly the diameter of neck that you want and the sound and color you desire. It is really in the assembly and set-up that makes the difference in most guitars......my two cents.

rounder
12-22-2007, 09:45 PM
bro i wanted be this cat bad when i was a kid and i got close imho :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AsWLMUdIZk

Is this the same guy. If you got close to that, you must play at least ok. Impressed. cheers.

ti_boi
12-22-2007, 11:33 PM
One final recommendation......check in on this site every couple of days...I buy from and trade with Chris and he is outstanding....his prices can also be very, very good....he knows his stuff....mailorder only from Albany. :cool:

http://www.chrisguitars.com/

Wayne77
12-23-2007, 12:53 AM
One final recommendation......check in on this site every couple of days...I buy from and trade with Chris and he is outstanding....his prices can also be very, very good....he knows his stuff....mailorder only from Albany. :cool:

http://www.chrisguitars.com/

A few days ago, I thought I was close to a decision. This beaut in particular is veery tempting at $950. Must....resist...

http://www.chrisguitars.com/fen06usastrat-ltd-sienna-ash-373.jpg

Drool.

Fivethumbs
12-23-2007, 01:16 AM
The Carvin I had was a log. It weighed a ton and did not have a nice tone at all. I took it apart to work on it and the electronics were the cheapest I had ever seen. It was supposed to be professionally set up from the factory and the nut slots were not deep enough (could not fret a F barre chord at the first fret without killing your index finger) and the fret work was not good. Now when I buy a body from Warmoth I order Alder that is between 3 3/4 lbs. to 4 1/4 lbs. and a neck with either their '59 shape or the fat back shape. I have been able to put together some really nice playing/sounding guitars with those parts. My Warmoth guitars are on par with the $2000 Fender Custom Shop guitars you see at Guitar Center. I dress the frets because I like the low action but you can usually just bolt the neck on and play. Another thing, a Floyd Rose nut will completely change the tone more than the type of wood, if you're thinking of that.

ti_boi
12-23-2007, 01:21 AM
A few days ago, I thought I was close to a decision. This beaut in particular is veery tempting at $950. Must....resist...

http://www.chrisguitars.com/fen06usastrat-ltd-sienna-ash-373.jpg

Drool.

Nice....but I like this one better....$875

http://www.chrisguitars.com/fen98amdlxstrat-ash-teal.jpg

Or this one....$799

http://www.chrisguitars.com/fen94strat-40th-bk.jpg

RudAwkning
12-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Fretboard material aside, I've really grown to love the feel of a raw, unfinished neck. I've got a custom Tele with a one piece Indian Rosewood neck that plays wonderfully with stainless steel 6230 frets. And I've also got a custom Gibson L5S style with a raw Padouk neck/Brazillian Rosewood fretboard mated to stainless steel 6105 frets. These are probably my two favorite necks of the dozen or so guitars I own. The one piece maple neck neck on my strat is nice but doesn't play as well when I start perspiring.

Fixed
12-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Fretboard material aside, I've really grown to love the feel of a raw, unfinished neck. I've got a custom Tele with a one piece Indian Rosewood neck that plays wonderfully with stainless steel 6230 frets. And I've also got a custom Gibson L5S style with a raw Padouk neck/Brazillian Rosewood fretboard mated to stainless steel 6105 frets. These are probably my two favorite necks of the dozen or so guitars I own. The one piece maple neck neck on my strat is nice but doesn't play as well when I start perspiring.
man you got the goods bro imho :beer: