PDA

View Full Version : Steel Frane repair in/around NYC??

mcoven
12-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I scored this IF Crown Jewel frame on e-bay which has a very small crack located on the seat tube above the BB...

I would like to have the frame repaired & refinished. Any good recommendations on a place to have this done in the NYC area? Any ideas on what it might cost? :confused:

I'm thinking repair, powdercoat, new decals and RIDE!...
Thanks!

shoe
12-21-2007, 10:06 AM
vicious cycles upstate...make a little road trip out of it....

issixtoomany
12-21-2007, 10:09 AM
Tom Kellogg isn't too far.

But his fantastic paint will cost a fair bit more than powdercoat.

shoe
12-21-2007, 10:10 AM
also johnny coast--brooklyn i believe...builds but don't know if he does his own paint? that would be easy enough i'm sure up there..

ericspin
12-21-2007, 10:29 AM
There is no bigger indy fab fan than I but..........the stem is too short.

palincss
12-21-2007, 10:30 AM
also johnny coast--brooklyn i believe...builds but don't know if he does his own paint? that would be easy enough i'm sure up there..

He can be reached at: JohnnyCoast@coastouttabrooklyn.com

mcoven
12-21-2007, 10:39 AM
There is no bigger indy fab fan than I but..........the stem is too short.

got to agree with ya' there... The stem, cabon fork & saddle will all be up for sale once the frame arrives... should just about cover the cost of the frame & IF fork :)

Thanks for the leads so far! I will be following up with the builders listed!

ridemoreoften
12-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Try calling Mike at Wheelfine in Lambertville NJ for repair and paint. Can get his contact info from the internet website.

Tom Kellogg
12-21-2007, 11:01 AM
A simple overweld won't do the trick for more than a season or so. The seat tube needs to be replaced. In our experience, this kind of crack can not be sucessfully repaired with a "patch." In the long run, it won't hold, at least not that close to the BB. How about giving Matt a call at IF. He really Knows his sh|t and is as nice as they come.

shoe
12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
can't argue with the advice of tom kellogg...go straight to the source..they would probably appreciate a throw back...in fact take it up yourself and make a little road trip out of it...

mcoven
12-28-2007, 09:25 AM
A simple overweld won't do the trick for more than a season or so. The seat tube needs to be replaced. In our experience, this kind of crack can not be sucessfully repaired with a "patch." In the long run, it won't hold, at least not that close to the BB. How about giving Matt a call at IF. He really Knows his sh|t and is as nice as they come.

Thank you, Tom... Sent you a PM.

Mike748
02-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I didn't think comments/questions belonged in the classified forum.

What would cause a crack like this? Looks like its in the heat effect zone from brazing... bad braze? Or rust from the inside?

Any idea what the other tubes look like inside?