PDA

View Full Version : top end bikes pretty much the same?

bags27
01-01-2004, 01:05 PM
That seems to be what the well-respected Coppi1 of the Bicycling.com forum is suggesting:

http://forums.bicycling.com/bic/thread.jsp?forum=6&thread=65227

On a related note, the past couple of years, is was Ksyrium this and Ksyrium that (I have a pair, too). Suddenly, it's: Ksyriums are too harsh--gotta have Topolinos.

bags27
01-01-2004, 01:06 PM
by the way, Happy New Year!

Kevin
01-01-2004, 01:18 PM
bags27,

I love those Topolinos. My Ksyriums are on the trainer. They have also been relegated behind the Speed Dream Aerolites and the Campy Nucleons in my stable.

Kevin

Kevan
01-01-2004, 03:09 PM
given the characteristics achieved with building materials and frame/fork geometry, I think we can agree there are differences. Certainly too durability is an aspect to difference. Coppi1 is sorta correct that some of these differences are the equivalent to a pea under a mattress. However, when you consider, for example, different manufacturers playing with a couple fraction of degrees difference in headtube position and what that does to change a bike's ride characteristic, I think he is bit off mark.

Mikemets and I often saddle up next to each other on our rides and discuss purchasing additional bikes, but we are so pleased with the performance of what we've already got under us, we question whether any other bike could really do us any better. Maintaining a modest stable, I'm more inclined to purchase a bike with a style and characteristics so different, the comparison would be obvious. I'm currently jonesing that Vanilla commuter with moustache bars and wood fenders he's got pictured on his site.

Bruce K
01-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Kevan;

After the discussion about fork rake and my misconceptions I did a little reading in a book called Bicycle Design , by Mike Burrows.

If I read it correctly, in his discussion of head tube angle he actually states that the head tube angle on modern "safety bikes" is more a function oergonomics than performance and that variations of +/- 5 degrees make no perceptable difference in ride performance.

I would LOVE to hear from Capt. Kirk, Kelly, or anyone with the experience and knowledge to substantiate or refute this idea.

BK