PDA

View Full Version : what were the earliest pegorettis like...

amator
12-21-2007, 04:33 AM
.. that had his name and insignia on them... palasanto or some unnamed from
93 or 94 I would think.

I'm curious how they would look like and whether they would have had the signature headtube extension.

If they did and were also using the threaded quill stem and lock nut headsets, that would bring the headtube xtension by quite a fair bit.

Ive just test fitted an old threaded headset on a my 94 pinarello (no extension) with a quill stem and it brings the total stack height up by around 4 to 4.5cm without spacers

Dr. Doofus
12-21-2007, 05:38 AM
ashley powell -- a local cat 1, later a pro -- had them in '94-96. plain white, pretty ghetto looking lettering. it was pretty unimpressive on top of his car, and only about a dozen cats in this region knew what he was all about with those bikes. they did look quite impressive with him on them, however....

i think maybe he go them through giorgio....

after reading about dario in the cycle sport article in '94, i wanted one of those things so bad i couldn't stand it. funny thing is, my club team was on giordanas, which were dario designed....

no head tube extension. threaded. no funky stays or dropouts. excell tubes. probably pretty close to what a palosanto was....

amator
12-21-2007, 10:51 AM
ashley powell -- a local cat 1, later a pro -- had them in '94-96. plain white, pretty ghetto looking lettering. it was pretty unimpressive on top of his car, and only about a dozen cats in this region knew what he was all about with those bikes. they did look quite impressive with him on them, however....

i think maybe he go them through giorgio....

after reading about dario in the cycle sport article in '94, i wanted one of those things so bad i couldn't stand it. funny thing is, my club team was on giordanas, which were dario designed....

no head tube extension. threaded. no funky stays or dropouts. excell tubes. probably pretty close to what a palosanto was....

ghetto looking lettering?

Forgive my plebian naivety, but what made them so special then/
i thought it was the , "art", huge chainstays, dropouts of the later? models
that stood out.

Or was it because they were the 1st tig welded steel frames around in a land of the lugged.

Dr. Doofus
12-21-2007, 10:56 AM
ghetto looking lettering?

Forgive my plebian naivety, but what made them so special then/
i thought it was the , "art", huge chainstays, dropouts of the later? models
that stood out.

Or was it because they were the 1st tig welded steel frames around in a land of the lugged.

what made them special is that he was still building pro frames then

ashley (and anyone else in the US who rocked a peg in '94), had a serious custom made race rig by the guy who had the rep as the top builder for the euros, because he made the best bikes

if i had a custom peg now, i'd ask dario to make mine look like the one i tried to follow in '94

plain white

cheap looking letters

whoop *** underneath

amator
12-21-2007, 11:00 AM
In the US scene, was mondonico, A. Masi (milano 3v), Billato bros and guerciotti frames highly regarded at that time too in the racing circles?
or was is it dominated by the likes of colnago, de rosa and merckx ... apart from the revered baylis models.

e-RICHIE
12-21-2007, 11:06 AM
... apart from the revered baylis models.
levity - and it's not even happy hour yet atmo.

amator
12-21-2007, 11:08 AM
what made them special is that he was still building pro frames then

ashley (and anyone else in the US who rocked a peg in '94), had a serious custom made race rig by the guy who had the rep as the top builder for the euros, because he made the best bikes

if i had a custom peg now, i'd ask dario to make mine look like the one i tried to follow in '94

plain white

cheap looking letters

whoop *** underneath

... the Mystique of Masi and vigorelli but in the funky 90's...?

Was the DP insignia/logo the same or was there none.
My searh to find out about early pegs was just as barren as excell tubing...

amator
12-21-2007, 11:14 AM
levity - and it's not even happy hour yet atmo.

I'm serious. truly.

Student of the internet and not immersed in the knowledge of 90's cycling culture....or should I not believe all i read about the cult of Brian Bayliss frames of yesteryear

Dr. Doofus
12-21-2007, 11:14 AM
... the Mystique of Masi and vigorelli but in the funky 90's...?

Was the DP insignia/logo the same or was there none.
My searh to find out about early pegs was just as barren as excell tubing...

if i remember right

it was similar lettering, and the overlapping circles thing on the head tube

around the southeast, the thing to have was a gita product...pinarello, derosa, merckx...or a 'nago

95% of the racers who saw ashley's bike said "what's that, some off-brand"

it was like having an all-business and function .38 from the mafia's gunmaker

i love that bike, wherever it is

vjp
12-21-2007, 02:35 PM
it was like having an all-business and function .38 from the mafia's gunmaker

Maybe, but the thinking mobsters choice will always be a .22, behind and just below the ear. If you are going to work, at least be professional enough to meet your customers face to face.

Grant McLean
12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Ior should I not believe all i read about the cult of Brian Bayliss frames of yesteryear

I'm not sure there are enough frames to start a cult,
unless you count all the ones he built for himself....
not that there's anything wrong with that

-g

ShockTreatment
12-21-2007, 05:15 PM
In the US scene, was mondonico, A. Masi (milano 3v), Billato bros and guerciotti frames highly regarded at that time too in the racing circles?
or was is it dominated by the likes of colnago, de rosa and merckx ... .

Serotta seemed to be the most highly regarded bike in the DC race scene during the 1990s. Guerciotti was very popular in the late seventies through eighties.

Tom Kellogg
12-21-2007, 05:23 PM
If you have one of those steel Giordanas, you had a Pegoretti. Before his name became famous, he built frames as a contract builder for years. If you happen to have one of the early light blue Luiginos with the Microfusion crowns, and you can stand to remove the paint from the top of the crown, you will find that there is a filled in "G" in the top face. Those crowns were the ones that Dario had left over from the days he built for Gita. Very nice stuff ... from to early days, right up to today. And that's the truth!

chrisroph
12-21-2007, 05:32 PM
late 80's early 90's I was riding my kellogg/spectrum

roman meal
12-21-2007, 05:44 PM
were shorter and lived near the water. They foraged, and lived off of the land, used primitive tools, until the pilgrims from Witcomb arrived and landed off of the coast and settled near East Haddam and Chester, CT.

ciclisto
12-21-2007, 05:46 PM
My recollection of the 80's on is that the most desirable frames in the early 80's were of course, Masi and Derosa and special framers like Moulton, Tesch, Sachs, in my case a Holland (local) Colnago were rare but in the above group.
Secondarily were Guerciotti, Ciocc, Tommasini, Merckx in popularity not quality then stuff like Medici. On another level was the Schwinn Paramounts some all chome. The lower stuff was univega, sr, bianchi mass produced heavy...........

capybaras
12-21-2007, 06:01 PM
like wee faeries

giordana93
12-21-2007, 10:07 PM
maybe I read too fast, but absent from the list:
cinelli super corsa--always in fashion
rossin
gios, only in blue
and, if you were from New Orleans, like me, you could get a nice Viner (but it had that crit geometry that begat the "italian stage geometry" stuff mentioned a while backin a thread. worked fine in nola where we never went up or down hill and a 52/44 was the in set up.)
as long as it was columbus sl with chrome campy drop outs...

I'm still ridin my 93 giordana with dented (excell super) seat stays, trying to figure out how I'm gonna replace it and why most of the new bikes I have test ridden just don't have that same ride quality

amator
12-21-2007, 10:08 PM
If you have one of those steel Giordanas, you had a Pegoretti. Before his name became famous, he built frames as a contract builder for years. If you happen to have one of the early light blue Luiginos with the Microfusion crowns, and you can stand to remove the paint from the top of the crown, you will find that there is a filled in "G" in the top face. Those crowns were the ones that Dario had left over from the days he built for Gita. Very nice stuff ... from to early days, right up to today. And that's the truth!

i was under the impression they were contracted to Billato and only the tig welded ones were pego

rphetteplace
12-21-2007, 10:20 PM
is this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/54cm-GIORDANA-frame-fork-RARE-Excell-STEEL-tubing_W0QQitemZ290192140890QQihZ019QQcategoryZ980 84QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

amator
12-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Serotta seemed to be the most highly regarded bike in the DC race scene during the 1990s. Guerciotti was very popular in the late seventies through eighties.

yes, of course the esteemed seottas :beer:

The gios, de rosas etc were probably what is termed in car speak as the import scene

jerk
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
the first pegoretti badged pegoretti i ever saw was a blue bike not dissimilar to a palosanto. a customer had requested a merckx corsa of some sort and at the moment of the order, gita was out of stock of the right size. nelson suggested, the woman take a look at this pegoretti thing. she seemed game so we brought it in. the thing was thouroughly modern. it looked like a no holds barred race bike...big fat oversize steel tubes, tig welded and simple blue paint with yellow script. it reminded me of the bikes you saw miguel indurain riding in the tour; stiff fast race bikes without any pretense of tradition or aesthetic nuance.....we were hooked.

jerk

amator
12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
No one here owns one???
pictures???

the first pegoretti badged pegoretti i ever saw was a blue bike not dissimilar to a palosanto. a customer had requested a merckx corsa of some sort and at the moment of the order, gita was out of stock of the right size. nelson suggested, the woman take a look at this pegoretti thing. she seemed game so we brought it in. the thing was thouroughly modern. it looked like a no holds barred race bike...big fat oversize steel tubes, tig welded and simple blue paint with yellow script. it reminded me of the bikes you saw miguel indurain riding in the tour; stiff fast race bikes without any pretense of tradition or aesthetic nuance.....we were hooked.

jerk

ShockTreatment
12-23-2007, 10:22 AM
These are from a 1999 Gita catalog. The 1996 did not list Pegoretti, so maybe they came out here in 97 or 98?

Dr. Doofus
12-23-2007, 10:33 AM
These are from a 1999 Gita catalog. The 1996 did not list Pegoretti, so maybe they came out here in 97 or 98?

i saw ashley powell on his in 94 or 95

they weren't in the gita catalogue, but i think if you knew nelson or al or giorgio, you could get the hook up

i don't think ashley went all the way to italy for his

maybe if he reads the board, he might give us the story

i haven't seen the guy since 1997, didn't really know him, just lived in the same town and attempted to race in the same fields with him

amg
12-23-2007, 10:41 AM

When I first saw that 1999 catalog, I was hooked on Pegoretti's. I hadn't heard of Dario before, but judging from the sleek, purposeful frames in the photos and the brief bio of Dario, I knew I was looking at something special.

Antonio

amator
12-23-2007, 01:00 PM
i believe the ones Im referring to pre-date the team custom and palasanto.
geez.. they might not even have any model names but Im pretty sure they had the badge.

the doof dates it around 94/95?
was the company making frames with his name emblazoned on then....

Dr. Doofus
12-23-2007, 01:04 PM
i believe the ones Im referring to pre-date the team custom and palasanto.
geez.. they might not even have any model names but Im pretty sure they had the badge.

the doof dates it around 94/95?
was the company making frames with his name emblazoned on then....

the cycle sport article on dario was '94 or '95

no one has ever made a bike and then pegoretti on it, other than dario or some cat at his workshop

maye somebody at gita knows how ashley got that bike...maybe there were others in the us....

amator
12-23-2007, 01:06 PM

seems like he used one tubeset - deda 18mcdv6HT in 99.
I think earlier ones were using excell tubing.

amator
12-23-2007, 01:13 PM
the cycle sport article on dario was '94 or '95

no one has ever made a bike and then pegoretti on it, other than dario or some cat at his workshop

maye somebody at gita knows how ashley got that bike...maybe there were others in the us....

maybe it was a giordana Ashley repainted?

just seems kinda sad that a whole bunch of dario fans here but no one constructing
a definitive history of his "first" bikes ..
we could even do a shootout if someoen had a well kept early frame.

hey may be they rode even better then with the steel forks and the funky french tubing. :)

Dr. Doofus
12-23-2007, 01:27 PM
maybe it was a giordana Ashley repainted?

just seems kinda sad that a whole bunch of dario fans here but no one constructing
a definitive history of his "first" bikes ..
we could even do a shootout if someoen had a well kept early frame.

hey may be they rode even better then with the steel forks and the funky french tubing. :)

pal, you have now ventured into the land of pure crap

call gita

ask them some questions

hell

e-mail dario

amator
12-23-2007, 05:54 PM
pal, you have now ventured into the land of pure crap

call gita

ask them some questions

hell

e-mail dario

too much beer too early
.... quite heavenly for me

still waiting for nelson to reply

JonB
12-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I have almost every old issue of cycle sport. I'll see if I can find the article.

Dr. Doofus
12-23-2007, 07:55 PM
I have almost every old issue of cycle sport. I'll see if I can find the article.

from the competitive cyclist site

it was jan or feb '95, i think

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pdf/cyclesport_review_1995.pdf

e-RICHIE
12-23-2007, 07:58 PM
from the competitive cyclist site

it was jan or feb '95, i think

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/pdf/cyclesport_review_1995.pdf
wow a paul skilbeck byline atmo.
he is the pr guy for nahbs these
past two years atmo.

shinomaster
12-23-2007, 08:58 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/54cm-GIORDANA-frame-fork-RARE-Excell-STEEL-tubing_W0QQitemZ290192140890QQihZ019QQcategoryZ980 84QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rphetteplace
12-25-2007, 10:08 PM
is this one?

found it first!!!!!

amator
12-26-2007, 12:30 AM
found it first!!!!!
... but did u buy it?

it seems a good deal if u want somthing in a rare steel mix and most importantly some have said it rides pretty good