PDA

View Full Version : OT: a night out going to clubs and bars

DarrenCT
12-21-2007, 12:01 AM
ok so its been awhile since i've been out "bar hoping" or whatever the hell you call it.

a few observations....

1. the bathroom line to take a leek totally sucks. i just went outside in the snow

2. at 12:30am im exhausted and everyone else is "just getting going"

3. 95% of the people there are drunk

4. im thinking about being in "good shape for my morning ride tomorrow", while everyone else is thinking about getting absolutely hammered.

bottom line: cycling really changes the way you look at things.

cheers
-d

Blue Jays
12-21-2007, 12:04 AM
It's funny to see how the other folks live! Have a good ride tomorrow/today depending on the time you actually go to sleep!

:beer:

DarrenCT
12-21-2007, 12:06 AM
i think i'll be fine. im chugging some vitamin water.

im glad im not a full time bar slug

cheers
-d

J.Greene
12-21-2007, 06:10 AM
What pisses me off is most of those people will drive home. The holidays are dangerous, please be safe.

JG

William
12-21-2007, 06:17 AM
What pisses me off is most of those people will drive home. The holidays are dangerous, please be safe.

JG

WORD!!!

Stay safe out there....or Beungood will take you down. You DON'T want to take a ride in his cruiser. :no:

William

Too Tall
12-21-2007, 06:20 AM
ok so its been awhile since i've been out "bar hoping" or whatever the hell you call it.

a few observations....

1. the bathroom line to take a leek totally sucks. i just went outside in the snow

4. im thinking about being in "good shape for my morning ride tomorrow", while everyone else is thinking about getting absolutely hammered.

cheers
-d
Just look for others like yourself in the fray...they are "out there" pal ;)

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0824941829.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Fixed
12-21-2007, 06:38 AM

a few observations....

cheers
-d bro you have a 18 pound mistress waiting
cheers imho

MarleyMon
12-21-2007, 07:48 AM
... "bar hoping" ...
Is this when you go to a series of bars alone, hoping not to return home in the same manner?

roman meal
12-21-2007, 07:51 AM
bro you have a 18 pound mistress waiting
cheers imho

CT is going out with the Olsen twins? Or, is that one, for 9lbs?

Ginger
12-21-2007, 08:13 AM
My first thought was...um...yeah. At a bar? 95% of the people are drunk. That's why you go to a bar. Otherwise tea houses would be really really popular.

But I totally understand that 12:30am thing...I used to be one of those people scooting home on my motorcycle (no drinking while riding) at 4am after the Coney Island run after the bar...egads, I can't do that anymore.

I am happy that I'm a tourist at the bar scene now rather than part of the scenery.

manet
12-21-2007, 08:17 AM
5. everyone's thinking about the @ss in front of them, and how to get it closer.

saab2000
12-21-2007, 08:27 AM
5. everyone's thinking about the @ss in front of them, and how to get it closer.

Got that right

DarrenCT
12-21-2007, 08:29 AM

JG

exactly. luckily i live downtown and just walked

this one dude at the bar was swaying back and forth like a f'ing tree.

stay safe
-d

jchasse
12-21-2007, 08:35 AM
exactly. luckily i live downtown and just walked

this one dude at the bar was swaying back and forth like a f'ing tree.

stay safe
-d

Greenwich Ave.? Whats there these days? It's been a while.

Or are you in NYC?

justinf
12-21-2007, 09:23 AM
Yep--I quit drinking several years ago but music still lands me in bars pretty often.

The scenery is quite different from the other side of the fence. Like, I could probably manipulate situations to my selfish end a little better now, but a lot of times I just want to get the f out.

It is funny as hell thinking of the morning ride at the bar. I will warn you however, I have found out the hard way that it makes for very boring bar conversation. . . and few people care about my bike geekery ;)

DarrenCT
12-21-2007, 09:25 AM
I will warn you however, I have found out the hard way that it makes for very boring bar conversation. . . and few people care about my bike geekery ;)

maybe thats why i was 0 / 10 in the pickup department?? :crap:

justinf
12-21-2007, 09:27 AM
been there bro

DarrenCT
12-21-2007, 09:28 AM

im sure the beer goggles were out in full force atmo

i had to erase the picture..it almost made me sick atmo

justinf
12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
dude. that has got to be photoshop.

DarrenCT
12-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Greenwich Ave.? Whats there these days? It's been a while.

Or are you in NYC?

greenwich ave.

there is all sorts of junk here. mostly high end shops selling 2k hand bags and upscale restaurants.

its like a mini-madison ave in nyc or wherever all those expensive stores are...

gdw
12-21-2007, 09:37 AM
1. Brush up on your reading skills. The line into the men's room is the shorter one.

4 You're supposed to be thinking about the evening ride not the next morning.

merckx
12-21-2007, 09:38 AM
maybe thats why i was 0 / 10 in the pickup department?? :crap:

That's because the @ss that you're chasing wears the goggles too.

fiamme red
12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I sometimes take the 5:30 a.m. Metro-North to White Plains or Katonah on a Sunday morning to start my ride from there. There's always a large bunch of rowdy college kids in the train car, staggering and shouting. They're all fast asleep by Bronxville. Their night is over as my day is beginning.

It's the same with the 5:15 a.m. Northeast Corridor NJ Transit train. All the Rutgers kids are asleep before Newark, then the conductor has to announce several times to wake your neighbors before New Brunswick.

Jeff Weir
12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Darren,
Where were you last night when this happenned? The McDonalds at exit 5?

jchasse
12-21-2007, 10:12 AM
greenwich ave.

there is all sorts of junk here. mostly high end shops selling 2k hand bags and upscale restaurants.

its like a mini-madison ave in nyc or wherever all those expensive stores are...

Yep. I lived in Greenwich for a couple of years, and worked there for ~9 yrs. Found it a little uppity, and damn near impossible to get around (by car) on weekends.

One saturday i did a mountain bike ride at Babcock (off North Street). It was muddy and slippery, and i got a little banged up. I had to hit the ATM on Greenwich Ave after, and as usual i had to park way up the hill from the bank. I'll never forget some of the looks i got walking down "the Avenue" in my baggy mtb clothes, covered in mud with dried blood all over my shin! :D

I actually used to like the Horseneck Tavern down Rte 1. And the Carne Adovado at the Boxcar Cantina used to be pretty good.

Is Thataway Cafe still there?

Jeff Weir
12-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I read in the paper that Hooters is going to open up on Greenwich Ave in a few months.. I think between Tiffany's and Sachs, just above Ralph Luaren. That should help keep the town a bit more grounded.

shinomaster
12-21-2007, 11:47 AM

a few observations....

cheers
-d

Darren we must be twins separated at birth. Did you write your name in the snow too?

DarrenCT
12-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Darren we must be twins separated at birth. Did you write your name in the snow too?

i wrote "atmo"

i'll go back and take a picture

Ozz
12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Yep--I quit drinking several years ago but music still lands me in bars pretty often....
Another reason to stay home: Crocodile Cafe closes (http://www.komotv.com/news/12580276.html)

Wiley J
12-21-2007, 07:45 PM
I went out to dinner to celebrate a birthday of a friend. Mostly people in their 20's and 30's. I'm almost 50. After dinner the group was going to hit some bars. I went home to go to bed. I was going to ride the next day over the old Mckenzie Pass. It was going to be a 80 mile ride round trip. At first no one believed me, they thought I was joking and making this up. After I convinced them it was true, they just thought I was nuts.

DarrenCT
12-21-2007, 07:46 PM
I read in the paper that Hooters is going to open up on Greenwich Ave in a few months.. I think between Tiffany's and Sachs, just above Ralph Luaren. That should help keep the town a bit more grounded.

JW,

when are we meeting up for a cold one?

Tom
12-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Back in the old days of working second shift, I used to hit the lowlights and fleshpots of the Dorptown all sober when all the lightweights were drunk and heading home. It used to be fun to run with the hardcore when they had a head start. I'm fairly certain that official last call is about 0200 around here but I can distinctly remember leaving places well after first light having been slaking my thirst up until few minutes before taking my leave.

Small town, small fun, but it had its moments.

bcm119
12-21-2007, 09:19 PM
I think about 95% of bars are just awful. The neighborhood bar that serves quality beer/scotch/wine in a calm atmosphere where people can chat for hours seems like a relic of the past. But i think theres hope-- in the last month 2 excellent new bars have opened up in the bay area alone. Theres been a similar trend in boston, portland OR has several and even NYC has a few gems. The "quality beer bar" is catching on, imho. For me its all about the beer selection, the glasses they use, the temp its served at, etc. If they have frozen mugs or giant TVs or "ladies nights" or no good beer on tap, forget it. If the focus is on showcasing craft beer, I'll do my part to keep them in business. I usually go in the afternoon to avoid crowds and noise- after a bike ride.

Tom
12-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Aw, no. You had to wind up in the Sawmill or the unnamed one on Front Street or even the Blue Jay or that one over in Mont Pleasant that Ernie knew about. No craft beer. Cheap drafts. Cheap brown liquor. The front lights go out but the place stays open. The local on Eastern that has been closed for some time, the night the big load of white powder came in the women's room closed for business, all peeing done in the men's room. I wasn't in the club, I can only speculate, but I had a few laughs that night.

Dorptown is AAA at best, it ain't the bigs. An easy two-hopper to short might not be handled well like in the places you're used to. People want to make a name, sometimes for nothing. Good times if you can look back.

rinconryder
12-21-2007, 10:38 PM
bro you have a 18 pound mistress waiting
cheers imho

I think Mr. Brunk would see this as having a few too many beers and taking home a fat chick.

bcm119
12-21-2007, 10:54 PM
Aw, no. You had to wind up in the Sawmill or the unnamed one on Front Street or even the Blue Jay or that one over in Mont Pleasant that Ernie knew about. No craft beer. Cheap drafts. Cheap brown liquor. The front lights go out but the place stays open. The local on Eastern that has been closed for some time, the night the big load of white powder came in the women's room closed for business, all peeing done in the men's room. I wasn't in the club, I can only speculate, but I had a few laughs that night.

Dorptown is AAA at best, it ain't the bigs. An easy two-hopper to short might not be handled well like in the places you're used to. People want to make a name, sometimes for nothing. Good times if you can look back.
All the good bars are east of you. Ever been to the Man of Kent, on rte 7 on the way to Bennington? Nice english beers, a pot-bellied pig strolling around, and pick-up games of cricket in the back yard. Best of times there. further over in brattleboro-- McNeill's. Great beer and lots of hippies. How about the Alehouse in Troy? Hottest wings in the area, and always fresh sierra celebration on in the winter months. Then theres Mahars in albany, probably the most pretentious beer geek bar I've been to. you upstaters don't have it too bad.

14max
12-22-2007, 06:41 AM

BumbleBeeDave
12-22-2007, 06:48 AM
Aw, no. You had to wind up in the Sawmill . . .

So you parked your bicycle next to all the Harleys? ;)

BBD

MassBiker
12-22-2007, 09:38 AM
I think the opinions in this thread have as much to do with your age as it does being a cyclist and leading a different lifestyle. Most people just outgrow the whole bar scene regardless of their lifestyle.

You just have to find the right bars to suit your style!!!!!!

:beer: and Merry Christmas