PDA

View Full Version : velocity pro-v tubular for cross?

norman neville
12-20-2007, 09:23 PM
a guy i know came by my office today with an interesting question: is the velocity pro-v tubular rim a good rim for cyclocross? since cross racing is his next thing, he was interested in building up a set for cross use but had little experience with cyclocross-able tubular rims.

i told him they would probably be strong enough, but they seem pretty narrow for a 30-ish cross tubular. (of course, the wider box section rims don't exist anymore, but i know those rims work well.)

does anyone have any experience using the velocity rims for cross? in particular, are they wide enough to get a glue bond?

ergott
12-21-2007, 05:35 AM
They are as wide as Escapes and I know people use them. They are sure strong enough. They are a bit heavy. He can check out the Kinlin TB-25 rim that has a semi aero profile and is very strong. The weights are around 435-440g.

Too Tall
12-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Wicked strong. I have a set built or rather overbuilt for the long haul as a training set I've also used for racing. Yes a bit heavy using 32 with std. spokes nothing fancy but boy are they stiff and true. Super predictable on high speed technical stuff yada yada but that's what you would expect right? Even with my 200lbs I'd go 28 spoke next time and that will bring them down to a more reasonable weight. I've had road tubulars on them and darn if they don't feel great for training too.

J.Greene
12-21-2007, 06:25 AM
When I recently upgraded my cross bike to tubs I cut the spokes out of a set of Chris King mtb wheels. I respaced the hubs and laced in the velocity rims. 32x32. They are crazy strong.

JG

Fixed
12-21-2007, 06:47 AM
bro if some left j greene four steel tubes and came back latter the cat would have made a bike and gone out riding .
cheers imho

J.Greene
12-21-2007, 07:41 AM
bro if some left j greene four steel tubes and came back latter the cat would have made a bike and gone out riding .
cheers imho

I should have said that differently fixed. I had my bud lace in the hubs. I don't build wheels, but who knows what the future holds.

JG

dirtdigger88
12-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Wicked strong. . . Yes a bit heavy using 32 with std. spokes nothing fancy but boy are they stiff and true. . . Even with my 200lbs I'd go 28 spoke next time and that will bring them down to a more reasonable weight. . .

while not the tubular version- Ive been playing with a set of ergott build deep v's 24 spoke over the last month or so-

these are VERY stout- I would have no issues with the rough stuff with these . . . even under MY 200lbs

Hey TT- how much height do you have on me???? about 6 inches or so :rolleyes:

Jason

Too Tall
12-21-2007, 10:26 AM
while not the tubular version- Ive been playing with a set of ergott build deep v's 24 spoke over the last month or so-

these are VERY stout- I would have no issues with the rough stuff with these . . . even under MY 200lbs

Hey TT- how much height do you have on me???? about 6 inches or so :rolleyes:

Jason

On a bike, uphill, mouth full of porcupine quills, gut shot, bleeding thru the ears...there is not "height" diff. it's just you and me ;) MMHO