PDA

View Full Version : 7-Eleven 86/87 team bike q...

timto
12-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi guys/gals

Wonder if you can help me with this trivia... any one know if Dura Ace was 6/7/8sp by the time the Serotta/Huffy's rolled into Paris in 86?

I'd like to one day do a 53 cm slurpee project. So far I have a line on a DA 7400 series group but it's a 6sp and wasn't sure how close one really needs to get.

I'd like to be correct but am not diligent / patient enough at times.

Also if anyone has a line on a frameset PM me!

This way I can scratch the serotta itch and team bike fantasy at the same time. Any inspirational pics that are topical would also greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Fixed
12-20-2007, 03:18 PM
i think 7 speed if i remember right
cheers

sailorboy
12-20-2007, 03:55 PM
I had the same itch a while back and found a replica CSI, with full team livery and didn't hesitate. The guy who sold it to me had a 7-11 shrine built in his house...I'm guessing that's where his wife drew the line. The frame pictured in the bottom left of the box is now in my house built with dura ace 7410. Not exactly period-correct, but close enough to get the feeling. I would concur with Fixed that it was prolly 7-speed that was on the team bikes by that time.

stevep
12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
I had the same itch a while back and found a replica CSI, with full team livery and didn't hesitate. The guy who sold it to me had a 7-11 shrine built in his house...I'm guessing that's where his wife drew the line. The frame pictured in the bottom left of the box is now in my house built with dura ace 7410. Not exactly period-correct, but close enough to get the feeling. I would concur with Fixed that it was prolly 7-speed that was on the team bikes by that time.

looks like a fan to me.

witcombusa
12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Tim,

Shimano 7401, with 7sd. Uniglide was for 1986. But often the teams may have 'tried out' prototype groups the year before.....

sailorboy
12-20-2007, 05:17 PM
looks like a fan to me.
I only wish I had the time to take him up on his invite to come by the house and see the collection. He said that box was only part of it. He actually lives in Saratoga Springs, and went on training rides with the west point cycling team when they were sponsored by Serotta. An old-timer here might know who I am talking about.

Grant McLean
12-20-2007, 05:54 PM
dura ace changes:

-g

vjp
12-20-2007, 06:00 PM
In 1986 the 7-Eleven team was on Murray badged Serotta that were Campagnolo equipped (a combination of C-Record and/or Super Record). In 1987 the team was on Huffy/True Temper badged bikes and Dura Ace.

I recently bought a late 86 "Murray" and although it had "Campagnolo Equipped" decals on the TT it is actually Dura Ace 7400 6 speed. It could be that it was built and the sponsor changed from Murray to Huffy during the winter and it became someone's training bike (the number tab has been removed to fit a pump).

Maybe someone at Serotta knows whether the change from Murray to Huffy and Campagnolo to Shimano happened all at the same time or not.

I believe that they were on 7 speed in 1987 and Andy Hampsten rode prototype 8 speed in his 1988 Giro victory.

vp

dirtdigger88
12-20-2007, 06:35 PM
another good link for dating the shimano stuff

http://datenbanken.freepage.de/traut/SHIMANO.html

Jason

Big Dan
12-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Personally I would go D/A 8 spd with downtube shifters.......

Fixed
12-20-2007, 07:03 PM
Personally I would go D/A 8 spd with downtube shifters.......
+1

Steve Hampsten
12-20-2007, 07:20 PM
But check this out: (http://www.parktool.com/repair/readcalvinscorner.asp?id=185)

Andy was on homemade 7-speed back in 1985 when everyone else was on 6-speed.

Grant McLean
12-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Like the guys said, the Dura Ace 8sp stuff is good choice for a rider bike,
since it's a lot more common to find these days.

The 7403 rear cassette hub was the first hyperglide version, which works with
basically any HG cogset, the ones with the lockring. The HG chain is quieter
than the older UG chain, and the older Uniglide cassette hubs, even the 8sp
ones require a different splined cogset, the ones with the thread on last cog.
These are kinda hard to find today in the more common ratios...
unless you like 12-19 and stuff like that.

-g

KJMUNC
12-20-2007, 08:56 PM
Great decision to do the period build. I completed a 1991-era build of my Motorola Merckx and it's a nice throwback. The 8spd with STI may not be exactly correct for the 7-11 bike, but if you're used to riding STI it will make riding a lot more enjoyable.

If you're cool with DT shifters, then roll with the accurate 7spd 7400 parts, which shouldn't be hard to find on eBay eventually.

Good luck and post pics of the final project when you get it done!

timto
12-20-2007, 09:59 PM
I knew I could count on you all. Grant that spreadsheet is uber geek cool.

Edit - I think the 8sp route might be the way to go after all. Thanks again.

Grant McLean
12-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Grant that spreadsheet is uber cool.

guilty as charged... :D

-g

julia
12-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Any inspirational pics that are topical would also greatly be appreciated.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/danishslurpee-1.jpg

sailorboy
12-21-2007, 04:00 AM
some pics here too:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=15386

dwightskin
12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
You might want to review this Sheldon Brown page, too.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#cassettes

8 speed sounds like the way to go if you want to keep using a 740X rear derailleur.

Depending on the hub condition and and how period-correct you want, I would consider using a 9 speed hubbed wheel and put on whatever cassette you want.

Dwight

jmewkill
12-21-2007, 09:09 AM
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/danishslurpee-1.jpg

Its like Seattle's a completely different country.

handsomerob
12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
from personal experience....

if you do go with anything Uniglide, here are a few "a-ha's" that I have learned.

1.) Uniglide cogs are pretty scarce, the final threaded ones are really scarce.
2.) The cogs don't have a spline pattern that prevents flipping them over. So, you can effectively use up one side of the tooth and flip it over to use the other side. YMMV
3.) The final THREADED "lock nut" cog is different for Dura Ace. So, don't think that if you find a final threaded Uniglide cog it will be a guaranteed fit for your Dura Ace hub.
4.) The 7 and 8 speed Uniglide spacers are the same width.
5.) A Dura Ace 8 speed hub could be Uniglide or Hyperglide, make sure you know what you are getting.

dspang
12-21-2007, 10:05 AM
from personal experience....

if you do go with anything Uniglide, here are a few "a-ha's" that I have learned.

1.) Uniglide cogs are pretty scarce, the final threaded ones are really scarce.
2.) The cogs don't have a spline pattern that prevents flipping them over. So, you can effectively use up one side of the tooth and flip it over to use the other side. YMMV
3.) The final THREADED "lock nut" cog is different for Dura Ace. So, don't think that if you find a final threaded Uniglide cog it will be a guaranteed fit for your Dura Ace hub.
4.) The 7 and 8 speed Uniglide spacers are the same width.
5.) A Dura Ace 8 speed hub could be Uniglide or Hyperglide, make sure you know what you are getting.

Whole heartedly agree with the above. Found a "deal" on a as-new 8 speed DA wheelset, 36h, no miles, etc. I suspected that it was Uniglide, but got blinded by desire. At home, I checked Sheldon's site and yep, I could and did change it over - new hub body (~$45) plus a special removal tool (~$15) and voila! I can now use HG cassettes.... but the cheap deal is now an okay deal.

Anybody want to buy a as-new DA Uniglide body?

rwsaunders
12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
I have a spec sheet from an old magazine article about Team 7-11 bikes that's too large to post. Send an email address and I'll forward it. Perhaps you can then shrink the file and post it for the others.

The spec sheet says DA 8-speed prototype, 53x42 crank with a 12-21 cassette.

72gmc
12-21-2007, 05:14 PM
that wasn't a spreadsheet, that was a CAT scan of Grant's brain.

vjp
12-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Here is a link to Diablo Scott's Blog that has a section on 7-11 bikes.

http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/2000_04_01_diabloscott_archive.html

sailorboy
12-21-2007, 06:42 PM
kinda funny that they list the individual gears, as if they weren't changed for mountian days...I mean, is it even possible that Andy rode up the gavia on a 42x21? I love Andy and all, but I don't think even Chuck Norris could do it with those gears. I have a spec sheet from an old magazine article about Team 7-11 bikes that's too large to post. Send an email address and I'll forward it. Perhaps you can then shrink the file and post it for the others.

The spec sheet says DA 8-speed prototype, 53x42 crank with a 12-21 cassette.

kdawson
03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
I just posted a 7-11 Slurpee for sale on Ebay. The link can be found here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160224711726

-Kyle

pankanchoog
10-31-2008, 05:16 PM
that is neat !!