PDA

View Full Version : Gentlepersons, your ride reports pls.!

Too Tall
08-02-2004, 05:54 AM
In recent memory, bein' what it is, I can not recall a weekend where I was not free to play outdoors. Seriously, it's been yrs. and yrs. Thurs to Sun. I was stuck inside a basement earning Continuing Ed. credits for my professional massage license. Up at 5am to hit the trainer each day...OH THE SHAME OF IT ALL and with such fine weather too....the shame.

And you?

Tom
08-02-2004, 07:12 AM
After a few big weeks, last week I didn't much want to look at the bike.

- Thursday morning: Oh, man, I can't go for a ride. I know, I'll go into work early, leave early and ride in the afternoon!
- Thursday afternoon: Plan works to perfection. It's a nice hot sunny afternoon. I get home, gear up, work up a little enthusiasm for the ride, get on the bike, get five miles down the road, reach down to get a drink.... no water bottles. They're back home in the fridge. A Sign From Above. I turn around, head home, put the bike away, go to sleep. Sleep until Friday.
- Friday morning: Rip one around the river. Fast, fun, easy. I like tapering nearly as much as I like tailwinds.
- Saturday: Ah, yes. The Four Hills of the Apocalypse. Up Crawford, down Rynex Corners to Musselbeck and up Stirling. Down 160 and up Ennis. Down Rynex across Musselbeck down 160 back up Rynex Corners down Crawford and creep on home. 45 miles, 4300 feet climbing. The llamas at the top of Crawford make it worthwhile. 155 mile week, down from 240's for the past month.
- Sunday: 45 miles up to Mariaville by way of 159 and Batter Street. I think somebody on Gordon Road has peacocks. The screeching at the one place was incredible. A fantastic 45mph draft off a pickup truck on the way back down 160. I like tapering, tailwinds and drafting off trucks.
- This morning: If I had an hour to wake up, I would have ridden. Had to work early, though, so I'm skipping a bluebird, flat calm day. Shucks. Can't ride tonight, I have to kill fungus on the cherry trees. Must make sure the squirrels have a nice big crop next spring!

Ozz
08-02-2004, 07:31 AM
New baby due any day...spouse has "nesting" urges so the "Honey-do" list never gets any shorter...

To top it off, my 3 year old broke his leg last week. He has a full leg cast and can't move around by himself - too small for crutches. Nine month pregnant Mom can't lift him, so I have to be nearby.

I'm heading out to my shop to spin on a trainer for awhile... :(

BTW - It's been 75 - 85 degrees and sunny for the past two weeks...no riding for me due to reasons listed above. :crap: Looking forward to next summer!

M_A_Martin
08-02-2004, 08:19 AM
I had to work this weekend, managed to do a quick (for me) 40 with some of my buddies from the recent tour. Kept up a nice pace, abandoned them at the 20 miles point because I had to go to work.
:(

No ride yesterday even though my buddies were calling...oh well.

TimB
08-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Well, since I've been gone a week on RAGBRAI, here's the report.

All rides were on the rolling farmland of central IA, with about 9,000 other people on bikes sharing the roads. I was on my Gunnar fixie, pushing a 42x16, in group of up to 9 other fixies. Passing nearly everything in sight - from 1899 fixed-gear ridden by the grandson of the original owner to a Coeur d’Acier, Legends and Atlantas and high-zoot bikes by nearly any manufacturer you can imagine. (I don't recall seeing a Ottrott though.) Never has it been more impressed on me that the main thing is the Engine! Anyway, the milages:

Sunday- 73 mostly rolling miles, starting from the Missouri river valley. A couple longer climbs to get out of the valley, but nothing too hard. Weather was cool to start (51F inside my tent in the morning) warming to the low 80s and nary a cloud. But an odd headwind out of the east all day - uncommon for the time of year unless it's storming.

Monday- 79 miles, flat and fast. I was worn out by the end, I could have used a taller gear for most of the day. One highlight - we were put up by a relative of one of our group, which took us off the official route. Rode 15 miles on a single road and saw 3 cars all going the opposite direction. Had to walk a steel I-beam over a stream (Lizard Creek) where a bridge had been removed.

Tuesday - 72 miles, again mostly flat with a couple rolling sections. The laws of physics do not apply on RAGBRAI, as I continually pass TANDEMS going downhill. A bit windy, now from the south at about 15mph. Our route was mostly easterly though, so not much of a factor.

Wednesday - 64 miles, almost all directly to the south into a 15-20mph
headwind. Warmer too, in the mid-80s, but still sunny. A hard day.

Thursday - 84 miles, the first 30 in a light to moderate rain. Me with no rain jacket (neglected to pack one), but after a few miles I'm warmed up and comfortable, and don't need to use the trash bag I got from the diner where I had breakfast. Rain stops by mid-morning, but it stays cloudy most of the day, with only some brightening by sunset.

Friday - 77 miles. The ride starts dry - and for the first time in a week I found some decent coffee to start my day. After about 20 miles, the rain begins, and it rains HARD. Rode a 3 mile stretch of gravel in the pouring rain - more like a sand/gravel mix, which turns into a light-brown slurry. I am caked in the stuff, and very unhappy. It's cooler too, only about 65 degrees, and I left my garbage bag in my luggage since there didn't seem to be a threat of rain when I left. No food along the way either. Two miles past the gravel, a cart selling pasta, so I stop to eat, then find a family with a garden hose to wash myself and the bike. They have cans of WD-40 too, so I give my chain a squirt - better than no lube at all, right? A couple longer, steeper climbs near the 2/3 way, but I am feelnig better with food in me and no more rain. I pass someone going uphill on a C-40 wearing a full team kit, and that makes me smile.

Saturday - 57 miles, mostly flat again with some long rolling hills as we approach the Mississippi river valley. A fast day again, and my butt is wishing for a steeper gear. Glad to head down the last descent to the river.

All in all, a good week of riding. More of a challenge for me this year than in the past, with only about half the miles (~1000) in my legs than the last time I did RAGBRAI. Best thing seems to be that even with all the pie, corn and root beer, I managed to not gain any weight!

davids
08-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Tuesday: Up early, did my normal solo loop for 21 miles. Feeling stiff and weak. Averaged 16.2 mph. Bleah.

Thursday: Ditto. Raised my average speed a tad, but just not feeling any energy...

Saturday: Finally get some company, and head south for a longer ride with my friends. We've got a stiff wind, but are able to keep up a good pace by taking turns pulling. After an hour, I'm beginning to feel good again. I have to turn around early (domestic harmony must be preserved), and race home with the wind (mostly) at my back. Finish up riding 47 miles at an average speed of 17.5. I'm tired, but feeling strong and happy again! Spend the rest of the day at the beach...

This morning: Find myself full-awake at 6, so I'm up and on the road by 6:15. Do my normal loop at an average of 17.2 mph. Life is good.

Ozz - so sorry to hear about your son! I hope he's handling it well, and will be more mobile soon. Take care - Things will get better quickly.

Ozz
08-02-2004, 08:41 AM
[B]Ozz - so sorry to hear about your son! I hope he's handling it well, and will be more mobile soon. Take care - Things will get better quickly.

He is doing well - thanks. He is a bit fearless, and fell off some playground equipment at his day-care. The first couple days were rough, but he is getting used to it now. The resiliency of kids is amazing! About four weeks to go in the cast.

davids
08-02-2004, 08:52 AM
He is doing well - thanks. He is a bit fearless, and fell off some playground equipment at his day-care. The first couple days were rough, but he is getting used to it now. The resiliency of kids is amazing! About four weeks to go in the cast.
You reminded me of my nephew, who did the exact same thing when he was four - he fell off a slide. His family visited us shortly after the cast went on, and my enduring memory of that visit is him, on his hands and knee (and cast), chasing our cats under our dining room table. It was like the cast didn't exist... He's sixteen now and still (deep inside) exactly the same kid - fearless and focused!

Spectrum Bob
08-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Too Tall

I also have no miles to my name for the week; I was on vacation in California

BUT as I was walking onto Manhattan Beach I saw where they were giving out free water bottles so I walked over and saw they were for the new ADT Event Center at the Home Depot Center and they were also giving out FREE tickets to the 2004 World Junior Track Cycling Championships for the opening night.

Needless to say I packed up the family and was able to introduce my six year old to the beauty and excitement of track racing. She really enjoyed watching the woman compete. We got to see the opening ceremonies, finals for the woman’s point’s race and the final’s for the men’s kilometer time trail.

What a beautiful facility
What a great time
I got very lucky

RABikes2
08-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Hey Too Tall,

Congrats on your education goals. I've been a LMT in Florida for 18 years now and it was worth all the hard work it took to go through school while working a full-time job, etc. Hope you can get outside and enjoy some riding before winter sets in!

I just completed my training miles for July...1130 miles. Boston-Montreal-Boston 2004 is in less than 3 weeks! ahhhhhhhhhh :rolleyes: ;) ...oops, a little anxiety scream there, after a year of training, I can't believe it's almost here!

scottcw
08-02-2004, 09:52 AM
After my bike fit session with Paul Levine, my current bike is so far off - handlebars too narrow, stem too long, saddle position too far forward because of steep ST angle, saddle to handlebar drop too far - that I realized that I was hurting myself more by riding than not. Fortunately, I will have an Ottrott by the weekend that fixes all of these things. I should have a nice ride report next Monday.

pbbob
08-02-2004, 10:08 AM
A year ago i saw this website: www.24hoursofbooty.com It's a 24 hour ride a fellow started 3 years ago as a fund raiser and to commemorate someone who had died of cancer. it is a 24 hour ride on a 3 mile loop[ the booty loop] around queens university in charlotte, N.C. so I thought to myself that riding around in circles for 24 hours is something I could do and thought I would give it a try this year. it is a non-competetive ride, do as little or as much as you want, alone or on a relay team, no one keeps track of the laps you do except for yourself. the money raised goes to a carolina cancer organization and the L.A.Foundation and I can use the tax deduction So I drive down in the van to charlotte on thursday in preparation for the start on friday. The ride is from 7pm friday to 7 pm saturday. I check in a couple hours early and get myself ready for what is ahead. but I don't really know what is ahead. I haven't ever done more than a 100 miles at a time and have never ridden at night and I haven't done any particular training for this. I wasn't worried in the least about staying awake all night though. anyone like myself who is in the trenches of health care has done a boatload of long hours, crazy shifts and long periods without sleep. But in spite of all that I felt prepared because I had a hydration and nutrition plan, adequate lighting, a bike that fit and a saddle upon which I could sit, and pedals that wouldn't hurt my feet and clothing for any type of riding. so 485 of us lined up for the first lap, a parade lap so all the tv people could get their shots and the clock began. the course is in a nice well shaded residential area and it starts on a downhill which you can coast 25 mph on then brake for a sharp right hander and begin a false flat, the a gentle right and begin a climb to another right and into the big ring for a long flat fast section brake for a sharp right slight down then slight uphill and false flat to the start/finish. there are police for the whole 24 hours on the major intersections and volunteers on others. traffic cones separated lanes, the street lights helped with visibilty and there was a gorgeous full moon for the whole night. time went on and laps went by. relay teams zoomed and there were less and less people riding as the night went on. before I knew it it was 2 am and a 100 miles had gone by. but the day was still early. then it began to get light around 6 and I saw the prettiest jogger I have ever seen as the early risers started getting out. by 7 I had done 167 miles. holy cow, only half way done. I took a nap for about 45 minutes in the van then got going again and completed 200 miles by 11 a.m. and rested again for a couple hours. about 1 I started again and by then it was really hot, and I rode along at a much slower pace and at a few minutes till 5 pm decided that that was enough, I would call it a day while I still had some energy left in the tank. 79 laps, 237 miles.
many people chose to do this ride in memory or in honor of someone. I chose to do it for a friend of my wifes who is in hospice with melanoma and her family. I found out later that she passed away a few minutes till 5pm that saturday.
the best thing about this ride was the small part I accidently contributed to some other riders enjoyment during the long night. I had red lights in the handlebar ends and a red light on the seat post. these were on a steady mode. on my helmet I had 2 lollypop size red flashing lights on. many all nighters told met their night was a lot more fun because from the rear I looked like a space alien and that they would tell others and they would have good fun riding around looking for the alien.
so it's over . no sore muscles or any aches and pains. some fatigue of course. probably never do a 24 again, maybe a 12.
and for those of you who like this stuff: on the bike average for the first 200 miles was 14.6 for the whole thing 14.2
9 containers of boost
at least 80 oz. of gatoraid
2 donuts
2 slices of pizza
2 peanut butter and honey sandwiches on the best whole wheat bread ever
1 whole wheat roll
several pieces of watermelon
who knows how much water
some orange slices and a banana
1 coke
2 ounces of starbucks I'm not a caffeine drinker so I guess that counts as doping.

Len J
08-02-2004, 10:14 AM
What an inspiration!

I'm in next year if you want company.

Len

Len J
08-02-2004, 10:20 AM
here on the Eastern Shore!

Rode 50 miles each on Saturday & Sunday.

Sunday, a friend and I decided to really work. Did several long (20 minute) hard tempo sections as well as a 4 mile "Flat Climb". This is an exercise I learned long ago where you pound out of the saddle for an extended period. It's a great workout for those of us who live in the flatlands to use a different muscle group.......Don't laugh, it's harder than it seems. Were attempting to cool down when we ran into two other riders and proceeded to Hammer the last 10 miles home...........I got up this AM at 4 :30 to catch a plane and my entire body was screaming at me.........but it's that good ache that comes from a great workout.

Len

Too Tall
08-02-2004, 10:22 AM
RAbikes2 - Cool! After my practicum I'll be certified to teach infant massage. Got lucky and found a class with Maria Mathias. She is the infant whisperer!
TimB - Congrats you BIG KNUCKLE DRAGGIN APE! PS - I need the names of the tandems you passed...they all have a date with members of the Gotti family :(
BugSplatBob - GREEN with envy. Your girl is future cycling-family. How cool is that?

Dekonick
08-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Bob - sounds like it was a great ride. I am sorry to hear your inspiration passed, but then again perhaps she now has peace at last.

My weekend (from a riding stand point) sucked. I worked my normal 24 hour shift on friday. That morning, while getting ready to meet a friend for a 40 mile group ride, I was begged to work as they couldnt get any medic coverage. I worked. I DID ride a 1 hour 'criterium' around the firehouse while I worked, because I felt that I had to do something...but it was not a good time. (I did make enough $$ to pay for those nice, new, black, carbon, light, 10 speed Record Ergolevers!)

Rained HARD all Sunday (did 40 min on computrainer)
Working right now -- gotta go 911 call just in crap...

Bye!

SteveE
08-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Friday - Met two of my riding buddies for a PM spin. Through Portola Valley, up Old La Honda (OLH), down 84, up west OLH, down 84E, through Woodside, and back to Los Altos. About 50 miles.

Saturday - Decided to go easy with the group and didn't throw in too many hills. Some still complained that 4 miles wasn't enough before the climb up Moody Rd (.5 mi., 12% grade.). Dropped down Page Mill, through Portola Valley, and a re-group at the Old Woodside Store. Our climbing detour meant that we weren't swarmed by the Saturday Spectrum Ride. We rode out Canada, past Hwy 92, Skyline, Crystal Springs, Polhemous, bike path, Canada Rd, back to Woodside, Palo Alto, and ending up at Peet's in Los Altos. 64 miles or so.

Sunday - Did the A-Ride out to Pescadero. Up Old La Honda, Down 84E, up Haskins Hill. Foggy and drizzly from Skyline to the Coast. Got stuck between the "real fast climber" guys and the "not as fast" guys. Dan (a Cat I racer) waits up for me. I sit on his wheel. He says "Let's catch 'em", I say "You're not gonna catch that group!". Dan says "Sure we can". I sit on his wheel. After about five minutes he seems to be tiring, so I come around and do a pull. About 30 seconds later, he pulls back in front and takes me in to Pescadero. We never caught the leading bunch before the regroup at Pescadero, but Boy! was I glad to just tuck in on Dan's wheel! Got stuck out on my own on the 2nd of the two "bumps" on Stage Rd. Hung in with the group past La Honda until the road started to tilt upward bit bit more, A couple of guys attacked on the climb and I was back on my own. I passed to guys in our group on the way up, put my head donw, and ended up being 7th to the top (5 were behind me). Had a nice 3.5 mile descent on 84. After the turn onto Portola Rd. I felt a little thumping from my rear tire. At the next stop sign, I stopped to take a look and saw the rubber worn completely worn through and the casing had started to fray. About 2 miles later the tire blew and I coasted to a stop. Fortunately, my wife was meeting with her friends for coffee a couple of miles away and was able to pick me up within 10 minutes. Managed about 72.5 miles and 5,100 ft. of climbing. (My Cateye Astrale went on the fritz due to water messing up the contact points on the computer/mounting interface.)

Madship
08-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Last week started out great, didn't get to ride on Sunday So went for a spirited ride on Monday. Talking to a friend during work led me to ride the battlefield for the first time in a while. Decided on the longer approach for a 32 mile round trip. Managed to take 82 seconds off my best time through the park. Finished the 10.6 miles in 32:41.

Didn't ride Tuesday due to the rain, so I arrived at the Hanry's Wednesday night ride at Okte well rested. Henry had chose a very flat ride for us this week. Got into the lead group and for the first time ever broke 20 mph for an entire ride. Finished the 35 mile ride with an average of 20.8. Still find it hard to believe.

Thursday, nicest day of the week and couldn't ride. Why I would schedule a doctor's appointment for an afternoon in the summer I will never know.

Friday, my Tour de Cure replacement jersey finally arrived. I figure I was safe getting a 2XL at the event. I had finally shrunk down to clothes with only 1 X. It was very depressing to find out that the jersey fit me likea latex glove. The 3XL arrived and fit pretty well. It will fit much better if I drop another 5-10. It's good to have goals. I convinced a friend to ride my "torture" route. 45 miles with about 6000 feet if climbing (If all the bumbs are counted). 1200 feet, just the major's are in the first 15 miles. Felt great and was looking forward to Saturday's test.

I'd been riding so well, I figured it was time to try a "quick" ride again. This one was 67 miles and starting a few miles from the house. Since it was close I rode the 6 miles to Schuylerville school in 18 minutes. Figured it would be a good day. The ride started out fast we rode to Ft Edward on West River, averaging about 21.5. Still feeling great. We headed NE from Ft Edward, the road started rolling, I was starting to think I may have started to hot. We got to the second stop, near Hartford, around 30 miles for me, The average at this point was still high, around 19.5. So I figured I wasn;t really having a bad day, I was jus going faster then normal. That's when the real clibing started. For the most part short but very steep hills. I did great on Big Birch Hill, but had to stop and catch my breath on Street Road. waited a minutes and finished the climb. Figured I was good when I heard there was another like that one coming. At about 60 miles for me we hit Summit Lake Road. Made it half way up and stopped figuring I could make it up after a rest. Started again and was immediately in the red, unfortunately I finished on foot. (Now I have another goal) Made it through the rest of the ride without much of a problem except some cramping. The 6 miles home from the school took 33 minutes. 81 total miles.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/bcurtiss/washingtoncountywhereabouts-ne.htm

Monday Signed up for Blue Sky's climbing clinic Desolation Delight. Took an easy ride out to and through the battlefield finished the 32 miles with an 18.1 average.

Dekonick
08-03-2004, 07:01 AM
I wonder if I will ever be able to have an average speed that high on a long ride. One year perhaps...

Waiting for a friend to go for a ride as I type. He is over an hour late! :crap:

jeffg
08-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I got some riding in during a family reunion on Keuka lake, near dbrk. Although our plains at a ride together were foiled (scheduling conflicts + rain), I did get to meet douglas again, enjoy his warm hospitality and marvel at both the beauty of his home and the wonderful collection of bikes to be found chez brooks. As my wife said, it was truly a highlight to see him again.

As for the riding, short and steep pretty much sums it up the hill offerings. I did several ascents of Bopple and Gannett, but the hill right from the house we were staying at was just about as challenging as those.

For those interested (i.e. Highlander riders and TdFL folks):

Bopple: Not an insanely difficult climb due to it being about 0.9 mi long. The surrounding area of Seneca point is beautiful, although there is a graveyard at the top of the hill. ;) Stats: 0.4 mi at 11%, followed by a 0.2 mi relatively flat section, and 0.3 mi. at 15.5%.

Gannett: Not as pretty as Bopple due to the fact that it is wide asphalt and devoid of hairpins, though the surrounding countryside is nice. A good 1.4 mi. at just about 10%. It is not a uniform gradient, but I would guess there is not much over 12-13%.

Hill from Keuka lake (on the Peninsula) to Skyline (I forget the name of the roads). From the bottom, it is really two different sections: both are 0.6 mi long with the first one at 6%, the other (after the left turn) at 11.5-12%.

Douglas would point out there are much nicer or longer climbs, and I'm sure he is right. I would venture that the climb from Keuka lake is really untrafficked and beautiful, and could be include on a loop ride from a number of destinations.

In any event, it is nice to get in a ride where you do over 5000 vertical feet in under 50 miles without any climbs over about 2 miles and without retracing your steps. A nice area to ride in, to be sure!