PDA

View Full Version : Look CX-6s?

bcm119
08-02-2004, 01:23 AM
I like Look pedals. But I think the bearings are crap, to the point that I'm considering a switch to SPD-SLs. All Looks I've owned have developed bearing problems within 2 years. However, I'm tempted to try the CX6s, thinking that the bearings _must_ be better since they cost so damned much. Is there any truth to this assumption?

Or should I just try some Ultegra -SLs? My concern there, after reading alot of posts about them, is the reduction in float, although many of you seem to love them. I'm afraid I'd be one of those guys who knees didn't get along with the SL's.

Too Tall
08-02-2004, 05:58 AM
BCM119, you got me curious. I've been using Look pedals since they were first sold and have not been able to wearout a set of bearings. Really! Once a yr.,if that, I'll repack them with lube and that's it. The platforms do wear grooves or the toe strike develops too much wear with time....but never bearings. What gives d&&d?

Bruce K
08-02-2004, 06:28 AM
I have several different sets of Look pedals, spme 396's, some A.5, and just bought a set of CX-6s.

No problems with any of them.

BK

zap
08-02-2004, 09:47 AM
I had a set of CX7 for about a year. Bearings and hardware are the same as other higher end Look pedals. I suspect the same is true for CX6 pedals. I decided not to keep the 7's as I didn't need all the features. Plus it had more parts that could fail.

I've been riding Looks since they first came out and they have served me well. But I'm slowly switching all my road steeds to Dura Ace SPD-SL's. Bearings are much better and I like the lower stack height. Cleats are great for walking as well. Overall, IMO SPD-SL's are superior to any Look pedals.

Float is 6 degrees which is just fine for me. It took me 2 very short rides to centre the cleats properly. I'd recommend using the Fit Kit for cleat setup if the lack of float concerns you as there is not much room for error.

Ray
08-02-2004, 10:05 AM
I've been riding Looks since they first came out and they have served me well. But I'm slowly switching all my road steeds to Dura Ace SPD-SL's. Bearings are much better and I like the lower stack height. Cleats are great for walking as well. Overall, IMO SPD-SL's are superior to any Look pedals.

Float is 6 degrees which is just fine for me. It took me 2 very short rides to centre the cleats properly. I'd recommend using the Fit Kit for cleat setup if the lack of float concerns you as there is not much room for error.

For some of us, the AMOUNT of float isn't the issue, it's the type. I ride SPD mountain bike pedals quite a bit and I'm fine with 6 degrees of float rather than 9 (or 30 for that matter). There's something about the SPD-SL's that didn't work for me though. First off, the float feels self-centering - the pedal wants to pull the cleat back to center rather than let it stay where you put it. Second, the toe of the cleat moves and the heel of the cleat stays put on the SLs, just the opposite of Looks. I wanted to like the SLs - I really did. I liked the reduced stack height and walkability and just the general sleekness of the pedal. But I developed knee pain using these pedals that no amount of cleat re-positioning seemed to be able to solve. So, back to Looks.

-Ray

Jeff Weir
08-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Don't forget that Look recently announced a new road pedal that should be available in the next few months. Specs indicate lower stack height and lighter than their existing models.

bcm119
08-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Ray-
So the toe of the SPD-SLs slides in an arc while the rear holds a stationary pivot point? Interesting, I haven't heard that but it makes sense that it would feel weird to long time Look users.

If the float feels self centering, that would bother me I think. I tried Campy pro-fits for a few months one time, and didn't like the float on them- very self centering and not as positive a snap when you clip in, more of a crunch. I hate crunchs; love snaps.

Thanks for the info all.

Ozz
08-02-2004, 11:39 AM
...I tried Campy pro-fits for a few months one time, and didn't like the float on them- very self centering and not as positive a snap when you clip in, more of a crunch. I hate crunchs; love snaps.

Thanks for the info all.

What did you do with your old Campy Pro Fits?

I'm looking for a cheap pair to put on my 'trainer' bike....

zap
08-02-2004, 11:41 AM
True, the pivot point on the SPD-SL is roughly 6 cm further forward compared to Looks. But the foot still rotates.

But I have heard from others as well that had some knee problems when switching to SPD-SL's. Maybe with the pivot point being further forward along with some self-centering puts a little more stress on the knee?

bcm119
08-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Ozz-
Sorry, sold them on RBR over a year ago...

bcm119
08-02-2004, 11:59 AM
TT-
Maybe I don't re-pack them often enough, but the bearings just seem very vulnerable to dirt getting in and scratching up the bearing surfaces. They often get to the point where the pedal will not hang vertically after clipping out- and thats annoying. The bearings also seem to loosen up over time and develop play. It just seems to me that a $175 pedal should have a more bullet proof bearing system, but it sounds like I may have been unlucky... And 6 years in coastal SoCal didn't help, its very dusty there. I've had similar experiences with 206s, 337s and 296s.

Still, I think I'll try some cx-6's. I'm skeptical of how I'd like SPD-SLs for the reasons Ray mentions.

Climb01742
08-02-2004, 12:34 PM
lance pedals do take some getting used to. what's more, in my experience, there is little consistency from pedal to pedal. here's what i mean: i have 8 or 9 pairs of DA and Ultegra lance pedals. the float on each of them is different. not the amount of float, but the freedom, or fluidity, of float varies greatly. on all of them, i have the tension set to the minimum setting. but on some pairs, the float is smooth, easy and fluid. others, stiff and sticky. its the oddest thing.

that being said, i like the pedals a lot. big, solid contact area. easy engagement. walking is easy. but if floaty-float is what you're after, be careful. even going so far as to try different pairs of lance pedals -- on a trainer at your LBS, get teh shop to install one pair...ride...then another pair...ride...then another. they simply aren't consistent.