PDA

View Full Version : iPod while mountain biking?

fiamme red
12-19-2007, 10:52 AM
Is that a good idea if a trail requires a lot of concentration?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/16/AR2007121601756.html

...As she describes it, Bush is obsessed with the metrics of biking, closely measuring the miles traversed and the calories burned. Recently, the president obtained a power meter, which measures wattage, a way to quantify how much power a rider is producing...

There is not much chatting along the way, Lazear says, since many of the trails "require a lot of concentration." Bush is often listening to music on his iPod -- country music, Karr believes...

northbend
12-19-2007, 12:03 PM
I ride with an Ipod offroad, alot of folks do. I don't use it on the road mainly for safety reasons. I can't imagine riding in a paceline with an Ipod on..

If you maintain your bike and know when it is best to shift, there need to listen to the drivetrain so that is not an issue. Alot of my offroad riding is alone and it's great to have a soundtrack while riding the trail. For me, it doesn't detract from concentating at all.

The only time I would not ride with the Ipod offroad is if I am on ORV trails or with a group of new riders or folks who would rather socialize than ride. Then it seems best to put it away and listen for moto's and people who may be stopping/falling down ahead of you - at least until you get to know who you are riding with.

I do not agree with Bush's politics, in fact I am heartsick about much that he has directly or indirectly been responsible for during his terms but that is separate in my mind anyway from his other facets. After all, he is human ya know not all bad or good. I like the fact that he is a 61 year old MTB'r who can hold his own on the trail. I can respect that and like that about him. I look up to anyone older than this 50 YO on the road or the trail who is out there enjoying themselves - I see them and I see what I hope for myself in a few years.

Blue Jays
12-19-2007, 12:21 PM
My preference is to ride my roadbikes and mountainbikes in complete silence...except for the occasional chattering of the voices in my head! ;) :D

DukeHorn
12-19-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm sort of surprised that folks ride with ipods. Are we talking about riding on big fireroads or real mountain biking?

As opposed to road biking, isn't it even more of an imperative to be able to hear folks coming from behind you (or bikers coming from the front) on narrow single track? I also have a lot more tumbles on a mountain bike so crunching the nano is also a fear.

It's been awhile since I've gone out but I don't remember seeing many off-roaders listening to ipods at any of the 24 hour races (Moab, Snowshoe).

Of course, he's the president, so maybe the trails have been swept clean beforehand so he doesn't have to worry about other riders.

gdw
12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
It's not a problem because he isn't riding technical singletrack, the group knows that he uses an iPod, and the secret service is keeping traffic and uninvited riders who might interfere away.

Dave B
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Well, I like to ride with them when I need a little motivation. To busy trying to drown out all the criticism people are giving me due to the judgements I make.

as for my riding partners who is going to pass me? I am the Prez!

Oh wait were you guys talking about me or Bush?

Goddy
12-19-2007, 01:06 PM
It's been awhile since I've gone out but I don't remember seeing many off-roaders listening to ipods at any of the 24 hour races (Moab, Snowshoe).

I think a lot of endurance races have rules against riders using headphones for safety reasons. You wouldn't be able to hear someone behind you who is trying to pass.

I used to wear one when I rode offroad on my own but I took a few too many falls and didn't want to risk destroying a $400 ipod.

WadePatton
12-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Not me, ever. On rollers sure, not on the road or trail. But where I ride is very rural, if I rode trails near a busy highway, then I might be tempted to drown out the drone of the highway. So maybe in that circumstance, but then I've have to buy one. :rolleyes: