PDA

View Full Version : Lance pedal question

Climb01742
01-01-2004, 12:48 PM
does anyone know how the DA and Ultegra versions of shimano's SPD-SL pedals differ? i have four DA pairs and one Ultegra, and out on the road, the only difference i can tell is the ultegra model's float feels freer, easier, looser. which i like. all of my DA pedals float, sure, but not as freely. and yes, they're all adjusted to the same amount of release pressure. do i just have a "loosy goosy" pair of ultegra's or do all ultegra's float more easily? i used to ride speedplays, so free-floating float is, to me, a good thing. thanks.

DonG
01-01-2004, 01:05 PM
I haven't ridden the DA version but I think the float and the "finish" are the only difference. They are sweet aren't they!!

mavic1010
01-01-2004, 01:08 PM
are you referring to the 7750 or the 7800?

Kevin
01-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Climb,

Why did you stop using the Speedplays? I have used them for three years and like them very much. Just curious.

Kevin

Climb01742
01-01-2004, 01:34 PM
mavic: you've got me there. i got them all in 2003. does that help?

kevin: i really liked the speedplays, but i had one problem: i'd get a hotspot on my foot right over the pedal. it was a comfort issue, not performance. but i may dig out one of my old speedplays and do a little side-by-side float comparison. the spd-sl are great, no hot spots, good wide base. just miss a bit of the speedplay float.

yarg
01-01-2004, 02:17 PM
On the subject of the new shimano peadals - Where do you get the longer cleat bolts for needed for shoes other than shimano? I got a pair of Ultegra pedals for x-mas and can't locate the longer bolts at the lbs or on the shimano web site.

H.Frank Beshear
01-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Yarg. Check the hardware store I swap mine out for stainless steel with an allen head. Take a bolt with you to compare threads and length.Frank

BumbleBeeDave
01-01-2004, 03:30 PM
I am over in Schenectady and have had good luck for stuff like that just going to the hardware store. In particular, Burnt Hills Hardware seems to have an excellent selection of metric bolts with a variety of lengths and guages. I know that is a bit of a drive for you, but in case you can’t find it anywhere else.

BBDave

dnovo
01-01-2004, 05:54 PM
I am using both the Ultegra and the DA versions of the SPD-SLs and have not noticed any differences in 'float' with the pedal release tension set at the same spot. Could be particular to the actual set you are using. I recall speaking to a Shimano rep who said the bearings/spindle and the finish were the only real differences, so other than weight and looks, they should function the same. Dave N.

Climb01742
01-01-2004, 06:03 PM
dave, it is strange, because the difference is noticeable. same shoes, so the only variable is the pedal.

do you find the Q factor float or movement a little odd at moments? sometimes i find the the float laterally of the heel is hindered slightly by the movement side to side of the toe/cleats Q factor. with my old speedplays, since the cleat was the stationary pivot point, the heel seemed to float easily. having two points that cab float/move on the SPD-SL -- the Q and the heel -- can be, well, odd at moments. not bad, just odd.

dnovo
01-01-2004, 06:11 PM
Never used the Speedplays, so couldn't say. I find the SPD-SLs close in use and feel to my Look 396s, just lighter and more positive in entry and exit. I honestly can't feel any functional differences in float or anything else between the DA and Ultegra versions. Dave N.