PDA

View Full Version : Freakish Bike Death

TimB
12-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Just a reminder to ride only one bike at a time?

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/national/news/20071218p2a00m0na022000c.html

deechee
12-18-2007, 12:04 PM
baaaaaaaaaaaaaakaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Kevan
12-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I'll never do that again.

Fixed
12-18-2007, 12:17 PM
he won't either

imho

barry1021
12-18-2007, 01:21 PM
to ride two on a bike, and i think to carry a big load while riding as well, but I wonder if that would be illegal....that is a strange sporting death. When I was younger two teens were returning from playing golf, the passenger was somehow shifting clubs in the car, they slid out of the bag into the steering wheel, bad accidenet, one was killed. Sports are inherently dangerous...... :no:

deechee
12-18-2007, 01:29 PM
that's nasty. I've heard of kleenex boxes killing occupants in high speed crashes as well ;) Never keep stuff unfixed in the car.

cadence231
12-18-2007, 03:25 PM
My best buddie's older brother was push starting his motorcycle and the brake lever killed him the same way.

RPS
12-18-2007, 03:49 PM
This thread should be a good reminder that safety glasses can come in handy when least expected. I was required to wear industrial-grade safety lenses as part of my work, and used them on all glasses to be extra careful. During a high-speed bike crash a few years back I damaged one lense right in the center but the glasses protected my eye as they were designed to do.

Grant McLean
12-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Sounds terrible. :(

I guess he wasn't a messenger, Tokyo riders don't have brakes!

-g

sailorboy
12-18-2007, 09:28 PM
people here take all kinds of risks on bicycles. I see it everyday. They'll just ride out from an alley onto a road with traffic without even slowing down. Supposedly it is "understood" that cyclists always have the right of way here...which is a great concept, except that people take it as their right to do stupid things in traffic, and if there's an accident, its usually the motorist's fault.

That and they sometimes have 2 little kids, plus groceries and whatever else draped on mama-san bike riding against traffic, and not a helmet to be found on anyone at any time. Crazy. One of the many things I'll never understand about this culture.

Fixed
12-18-2007, 09:35 PM
them and the dutch stuff happens when it's time
sad the cat may have like bikes as much as we do
cheers imho

Louis
12-18-2007, 10:38 PM
It's rough, but stuff like this happens every day. About a million different things just happen to go just the wrong way and BAM you're dead. Later tonight as I sleep a meteorite may come crashing through my roof and hit me in the head. You never know.

Anybody read the article in the the latest Outside about Peter Absolon (Rock Mountain director of NOLS) who was killed while climbing a while back? Someone tossed a bowling ball sized rock off the edge of a cliff, just to watch it fall, but it just so happens that Absolon and his climbing partner were about 300' below, working their way up the face. A direct hit to the helmet. details here (http://www.climbing.com/news/passages/peterabsolon/)

Some things you can't defend against, so you might as well just go on living your life.

Louis

Avispa
12-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Wow, what a pity!

So I guess in certain remote, isolated cases eye protection could be more valuable than a helmet....

Thumbs up for Oakley!

..A..

sevencyclist
12-18-2007, 11:28 PM
This thread should be a good reminder that safety glasses can come in handy when least expected. I was required to wear industrial-grade safety lenses as part of my work, and used them on all glasses to be extra careful. During a high-speed bike crash a few years back I damaged one lense right in the center but the glasses protected my eye as they were designed to do.

Reminded me of a piece from a few years ago on Velonews.

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/5336.0.html

"To sum up the difference between Seven Cycles and Independent Fabrication, let me put it this way: at Seven we were handed safety glasses, at IF we were handed a couple of tall frosty brews. Both build exquisite bicycles, but couldn't be more different in company attitude. The choice is yours."

Maybe safety glasses are not that bad afterall.

Volant
12-19-2007, 01:32 AM
OMG. I've seen 6 on a moped several times in Taichung and ShenZhen (father and mother, child on bars - no seat, just balanced, child on tank, child between Mom and Dad and one behind Mom). Of course, no helmets or glasses - just flip-flops and usual clothing.

sailorboy
12-19-2007, 02:16 AM
yea, a buddy of mine who frequented Thailand once sent me a picture of a whole family on a moped, at night. I stand corrected, those M-effers take the prize for insane traffic behavior.

In my attempts to understand this mentality some Japanese people have told me that it probably has something to do with the buddhist mentality that fate happens, so if you get creamed by a bus or your brake lever pierces your nugget you just take it all in stride. In some ways its more attractive than the self-important mentality of the West.

DarrenCT
12-19-2007, 06:50 AM
Sounds terrible. :(

I guess he wasn't a messenger, Tokyo riders don't have brakes!

-g

g,

you're always thinking one step ahead :)

poor guy. total freak accident for sure :(

FMS_rider
12-20-2007, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXL6-F3vZQ