PDA

View Full Version : iPhoto help

Climb01742
08-01-2004, 07:12 PM
i'm trying to post some photos from iPhoto. some get rejected for being too big. i believe the phorum has a 146.5 kb limit. is there an iPhoto function that tells you a photo's size? and is there a way to reduce its size subtly? you can e-mail photos out of iPhoto, and thereby adjust their size but only substantially, choosing either small, medium or large. even on "medium" some photos are too big, and choosing "small" results in postage stamp size images. i want to try to post the shots as large as possible, getting just under the size limit. any help would be appreciated. :crap:

pale scotsman
08-01-2004, 07:34 PM
I don't have iphoto handy but remember vaguely that if you look at the bottom left corner of the window when you double click on a picture you should see a drop down menu that says constrain or resize. There are options in there to resize the photo. You don't need any more than 72 dpi resolution and that'll help make the pic bigger.

If you run into a sticking point send me the photos and I'll post 'em for you. :beer: :beer:

dave thompson
08-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Here is the link to Mihov Image resizer, a freeware program that's very versatile and easy to use: http://www.imageresizer.com/ You can even use it to make your avatars.

Needs Help
08-01-2004, 09:46 PM
There are options in there to resize the photo. You don't need any more than 72 dpi resolution and that'll help make the pic bigger.

Ppi or dpi has no affect on the file size of an image. The file size is determined by two things: the pixel dimensions of the image and the jpeg compression. The actual image size as viewed on a computer screen is only dependent on the pixel dimensions(assuming your screen's resolution setting remains unchanged). Ppi or dpi only affects a printed image's size.

So, if you are trying to get the file size of an image to comply with a certain maximum limitation, you have two choices, you can reduce the pixel dimensions which will reduce the physical size of the viewed image, or you can increase the jpeg compression, which is done by choosing a lower jpeg quality setting.

ChamUK
08-02-2004, 08:10 AM
Goto to "export" under "file" menu. Scale down as needed.

Madship
08-02-2004, 02:12 PM
If you have a .mac account, you can use the homepage function in iPhoto and post all the images to a webpage. The images are a decent size and there is a slide show feature to make browsing easy.

These are pictures I posted from Bike NY. Please excuse the quality. They are from a Photo CD made at Target from a disposable camera.

http://homepage.mac.com/madship/PhotoAlbum12.html