PDA

View Full Version : 10 spd Dura Ace is eating parts?

Ken Robb
08-01-2004, 12:24 PM
My LBS owner told me he is replacing some of the new Shimano 10 spd chains with as little as 500 miles on them. He also said that the most-used cogs were often shot in 1000 miles or so. He said they shift great but at the moment there was no good solution for excessive chain/cog wear. Remember he said "some" not all. Anyboy with personal experience on this? I'm waiting for a new frame and pondering how to build it. I'm very pleased with 9spd Ultegra and I'll have to take a look at our 10 spd Chorus that has about 1,000 easy miles as it is mostly ridden by my wife. Heck, my 7speed bikes seem to have as many gears as I need.

shinomaster
08-01-2004, 12:32 PM
:hello: :hello: :banana:

coylifut
08-01-2004, 12:39 PM
I just replaced a DA chain. I got about 3k miles on it and forgot that I normally change chains every 2k. My cog set looks perfect. I usually wipe my chain down after every ride and apply Pro Link every 100 miles or so. The DA 10 shifting is the most precise system I've ever used by far.

dbrk
08-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Of course you can use 10spd Campy chains and cogs, but I think that was our dear Shinomaster's point. I confess to not taking great care of either cassettes or chains but I have low expectations about shifting. I mean, so long as it doesn't skip, I'm okay with it. It is _much_ more satisfying to nail a friction shift but sometimes it's just easier and better to go hasslefree clickingonthebars.

So far my Campy 10 has held up brilliantly. I recently took off my DA10 on one of the Rivendells (went back to Superbe Pro 8) but not from dissatisfaction, rather it just looked wrong. DA10 will go on BLE should she ever get here.

dbrk

Sandy
08-01-2004, 03:54 PM
I have Dura-Ace 10 on my new Serotta. I have about 3,800 miles on the bike thus far and the chain and cogs seem to be fine. I will measure the chain today and if there seems to be excessive wear, I will let you know. Almost 4,000 miles on any chain I think is pretty good.

Sandy

Bill Bove
08-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I have sold only about a half dozen DA 10's since they came out and have had only one problem with any of them, a plate on one of the chains came apart after about 300 miles. We put it on a 10 speed Record bike and it has gone about a thousand trouble free miles and works just fine with the Campy stuff, maybe better. It is a little quieter. The replacement chain on the DA bike has shown no signs of failing since it went on and I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else, yet.

08-01-2004, 04:20 PM
I have DA10 on three frames and have about 9000 miles logged between the three of them. My first DA10 chain tended to catch on a chainring pin and the second one stretched (wore, actually) over about 800 miles, so I switched to Wipperman 10-speed nickel chains and to SRAM PC-89R hollow-pin chains. The Wipperman's are easily lasting 2000 miles and I can't even see wear on the SRAM ones. The Wipperman are quieter and slightly smoother, but as long as you get this specific 9-speed SRAM chain (not the PC-89R non-hollow pin, etc.), it runs really well. Both of these chains use quick-disconnect links, which I like much better than the DA pins.

I haven't actually had failure problems with DA10 chains, but they do seem to wear faster than other chains under equivalent use conditions. And once the chain is worn, the cogs wear very fast.

93legendti
08-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I have sold only about a half dozen DA 10's since they came out and have had only one problem with any of them, a plate on one of the chains came apart after about 300 miles. We put it on a 10 speed Record bike and it has gone about a thousand trouble free miles and works just fine with the Campy stuff, maybe better. It is a little quieter. The replacement chain on the DA bike has shown no signs of failing since it went on and I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else, yet.

No problem here w/ Shimano chains.

EdK
08-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Agree with Shino! Campy = clean and relube. Shimano = clean and replace.

vaxn8r
08-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Anyboy with personal experience on this?

I've got about 1,500 miles on mine, trouble-free. Most of the people I ride with now use DA 10. Most of these guys are CAT 2 racers and we have the best team in the state.

I have a buddy whose Wipperman disentegrated when he stood up to sprint. It wasn't pretty from what I hear. I relate this just to illustrate that you're going to have problems with everything, Campy too, boys. I can relate Campy horror stories but that's all they are. Don't put a ton of stock into isolated cases.

I am planning on replacing my DA 10 chain by 1,800 miles like the rep recommended. But then I knew this going in. For the Campy crowd, Record would have cost about $600 more than I paid for DA 10 so I figure I can afford a new chain now and then and still save the extra money in the bank. ;)

coylifut
08-01-2004, 11:50 PM
That's how long it took to turn this into a campy v shimano thread. Just as I expected.